Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Where and why  (Read 18785 times)
fjortoft

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Thursday, February 21, 2008, 08:13:33 »

Born in Swindon.  Went to my first game with my mum who is a big town fan aged 7 in 1976 vs Peterborough.  Went pretty regularly to home and away games until the MacMahon days then became disillusioned with the style of play and the type of players he signed.  I also moved away from Swindon to go to college and for work etc so couldn't justify the expense to travel to games.  In recent years have drifted back to the CG and love it with a passion again.  Most of my family haved moved from Swindon to different parts of the country but we often use an STFC match as the chance to meet up which I quite like.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Thursday, February 21, 2008, 09:57:03 »

Forces child.  We moved every three years while I was growing up.  My Dad had a Lyneham posting in the early 1980s during which time my parents bought a house in West Swindon - still a building site in those days.  Moved away soon after but returned three years later for another 6 years (1986-92) and it was during that period, my teenage years, that I started watching STFC.

I have no family connections with Swindon and neither I nor any other family members live in the town these days either.  If anything, the family history is much more closely connected with Reading/Wokingham and the surrounding area.  So while I'm not really very attached to Swindon any more, I'm umbilically attached to STFC - as are several of my brothers and sisters.  Whether we manage to pass this on to the next generation remains to be seen.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #92 on: Thursday, February 21, 2008, 10:21:05 »

If I was am to lose interest then it usually means that I don't stay up until 3 A.M. for a mid-week match. Otherwise I don't miss a match (Over the net of course)

But then I guess that absence makes the heart grow fonder blah blah.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #93 on: Thursday, February 21, 2008, 10:36:26 »

Whoops, I actually posted ^^^ in the wrong thread. Hey-ho.
thepeoplesgame

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Thursday, February 21, 2008, 10:37:12 »

Quote from: "janaage"
then came back properly under Kingy.

Good Lord, that's the only period in 20 years of following Swindon that I've seriously considered knocking it on the head!
cib

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Thursday, February 21, 2008, 10:44:46 »

Born in Solihull, Mum from Swindon, Dad from Brum (blues fan)
First game was Play-off final against Leicester as a birthday present - i was turning 6. I remember going to Town-Chelsea on New years day in 1994, me and my parents were in the Chelsea end for free (uncle was on the gate) and an innocent me went up when we scored (later disallowed) - stern looks from chelsea fans and my parents had to explain i was too youg.

Growing up at school/playing footy in local kids team in Tamworth said i was villa fan, peer pressure, which annoyed my bluenose dad. But still looked out for town results oddly. Got to a few games here and there whenever saw family in Swindon. Interest in town grew and around 2002/3, couple years before the play-off season, i would say thats when i was a proper town fan - rather than just watching out for them.

Came to Uni few years ago, tried to make as many games as possible from Manc, or ones close to home. Me going got my brothers interested more and we (2 brothers, me and my mum) go together now to maybe a dozen games a season and meet family who follow town.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #96 on: Thursday, February 21, 2008, 10:47:40 »

Quote from: "fjortoft"
Born in Swindon.  Went to my first game with my mum who is a big town fan aged 7 in 1976 vs Peterborough.  Went pretty regularly to home and away games until the MacMahon days then became disillusioned with the style of play and the type of players he signed.  I also moved away from Swindon to go to college and for work etc so couldn't justify the expense to travel to games.  In recent years have drifted back to the CG and love it with a passion again.  Most of my family haved moved from Swindon to different parts of the country but we often use an STFC match as the chance to meet up which I quite like.

Snap mate, my first ever game was at Home to Peterborough in 1976...Feb 21st 1976 to be precise and I only know that cos its was my 10th birthday!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Sussex

« Reply #97 on: Thursday, February 21, 2008, 10:56:06 »

Quote from: "jjedmunds"
Snap mate, my first ever game was at Home to Peterborough in 1976...Feb 21st 1976 to be precise and I only know that cos its was my 10th birthday!

Happy Birthday John!  Cheesy
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Thursday, February 21, 2008, 12:15:27 »

Born in JR, and brought up near Witney in the middle of nowhere!

Dad is a Swindonian from a family that came down from the downs to work inside, and I am am the first one for 4 generations not to have worked in the works at some stage. So I had no chance, although had a brief flirtation with Chelsea in 1980 when I started primary school and Chelsea was the only shirt they sold in Giles in Carterton for me to play game in! Mum from Gloucestershire.

First match was v Chelsea in something like full members cup, early/mid 80's I recall that we won 4 nil?
NW6Red

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Thursday, February 21, 2008, 12:59:10 »

What a great thread.

Swindon-born, Shrivenham-bred, went to my first match with my uncle (a Town Ender for 40+ years - when he died in 2000, Don Rogers came to his funeral) in '73. Don't get to as many games as I'd like now I'm living in the smoke with a missus and 2 kids, but still get the cuttings from the Advert from my old man every week and go to all the London games plus half a dozen home matches a season. Now planning to inflict my love of STFC on my kids...
SwindonTartanArmy
Go Team GB!

London Scottish - More History than Franchise!

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Thursday, February 21, 2008, 13:22:50 »

Dads side of the family is all Scottish and Rangers daft. apart from one rather strange uncle who played in goals for Celtic. Mums side of the family is all Irish. I grew up in Shrivenham, but my dad never took me to watch Swindon. I remember the ricketty old stair leading up the back of the shrivvy road stand and wanting to go. Never got the chance until my mother, who being Irish will chat to anyone, started chatting to Dave Mitchell and became friends. He got me free tickets to Wolves at home i think in 1992/3 season i think. although I remember being on Holiday in florida for the sunderland play off and there was another family from Swindon there and we were calling back every five minutes to find out the score. Was also on holiday at relatives in Ireland for the Leicester game :evil:

When ever my mother moans about how much money I spend on watching football around the world, I remind her that if it wasnt for her I probably would never have gone to see Swindon.

Vi er best i verden! Vi er best i verden! Vi har slått England 2-1 i fotball!! Det er aldeles utrolig! Vi har slått England! England, kjempers fødeland. Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana--vi har slått dem alle sammen. Vi har slått dem alle sammen. Maggie Thatcher can you hear me?
Your boys took a hell of a beating!"
Forza_Swindon

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Thursday, February 21, 2008, 13:41:27 »

I was born in PMH in 81...
One side of my family is from Marlborough, the other is a crazy set of Polish people after my Gran and Grandad came over after the war and settled in Swindon.  Polish side all nuts about the Town, Marlborough side much less interested in football.
My first (live) game was at the CG v Man U in our Premier league season, I was on Stratton Bank at the front and loved it!  Been going as much as circumstances/finances allow ever since.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #102 on: Thursday, February 21, 2008, 18:13:45 »

I was born in Trowbridge and my old man is from Chippenham -  he has been going to Swindon since the 60's and took me in 1990 (I lived in Germany at the time - forces child) and that was that.

I support Swindon (although my dad has lost a fair bit of the faith). My step-dad supports Aberdeen while my older brother supports Man Utd (supported Swindon up to the age of about 13), my younger bro supports Arsenal and one hates the sport.
Reeves for King

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Thursday, February 21, 2008, 18:35:27 »

I was born in Swindon and my first game was with my Grandad against Southend which we drew 2-2, I think we were in Division 1 at the time. My Dad and my Grandad are Swindon fans I started going properly when I was old enough to go with my mates. Now at Uni I go when I am able to get there.

here's the man himself when you need him?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #104 on: Thursday, February 21, 2008, 18:45:14 »

Quote from: "Sussex"
Quote from: "jjedmunds"

Happy Birthday John!  Cheesy

Cheers mate, Smiley

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: