Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Where and why  (Read 18671 times)
knifey spoony

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Thursday, September 23, 2010, 16:05:42 »

My family were never into football and I moved around lots as a kid. Lived not far from Swindon between the ages of 2-5, so when I got into football aged 9 I picked them and followed them from afar (Germany, Scotland).

Luckily we moved to the area when I was 11 in 1990. First game was Plymouth on New Years Day 1991, a late Steve Foley equaliser.

Moved away again a couple of years later, which meant I didn't get to go to Wembley in 1993, but ended up back near Swindon the following year which meant I at least got to see a few of our Premiership games. Bought my first season ticket the year after that.

Went off to uni and then London for a year after that, but the lure was too strong and I now live 5 minutes walk from the CG!
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Thursday, September 23, 2010, 16:09:27 »

Born in Swindon and My Great Grandfather (Bob Menham) played in goal for them and rescued them from going bankrupt first time around (circa 1911), so Swindon was in my DNA from the outset...
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Thursday, September 23, 2010, 16:23:48 »

I want to hear the rest of the Oxford Groomer story.

Ok.  Short story, but he was a mate of my then step brother, probably about 15/16.  I was about 6.  There were houses being built and he tried to get me to go down to the building site with him to show me something on the promise of giving me his watch.  A young lad who didn't know anything about sex I thought, oh free watch.  Id better just go and tell my parents though. 

Lucky I did.  I think deep down I knew he was a wrong un because he was associated with the pox, even at the age of 6.

Didnt see the dirty fucking scummer again!

Never knowingly overstated.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Thursday, September 23, 2010, 16:28:32 »

yes sorry about that, but i did really like your watch.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Thursday, September 23, 2010, 16:34:13 »

Grin Clap
 Girl Giggle
 :gay:

Never knowingly overstated.
Processed Beats

I drop beats from this processed meat.

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Thursday, September 23, 2010, 16:38:08 »

Born in Swindon and lived here all my life. Dad's family moved here from India in the early 60's, so i have indian blood despite being as pale as a ghost. First game was a 2-0 home defeat to Man City somewhere in the 90's, got bought tickets week in week out for a few years before my first season ticket about 6 years ago.

My dad's been going for years, still reminisces about the days of terracing and standing on the stratton bank. Never even knew it used to be for home supporters!
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Thursday, September 23, 2010, 16:44:47 »

Born in Swindon, raised in Highworth. Dad took me in 89/90 at the age of 3 or 4.

Been going ever since.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
[email protected]

Want to change my name as this email doesn't exist

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Thursday, September 23, 2010, 16:56:40 »

Similar story to most – my father first took me when I was about 6 and 30 odd years later I still get the same excited/nervous feeling on match days!
Rich Pullen

« Reply #143 on: Thursday, September 23, 2010, 17:11:25 »

Searching through, there aren't many West Wiltshire based supporters on TEF.

Mind you, although I was born in Trowbridge my dad is from Chippenham and my mum is from Yatton Keynell.

I am the only Pullen in my family flying the proverbial STFC flag nowadays.
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Thursday, September 23, 2010, 19:56:22 »

Born in Swindon and still in Swindon.  As the first born I never really stood a chance of not being taken to the CG with my dad who had followed them since he was a teenager.  First game I saw was 1984 in the old Fourth Division.  I remember the Town End looking really scary!

Had season tickets standing in the Old Shrivenham Stand with my dad, a load of his mates and my 2 brothers for a fair few years in the early to mid 1990s  Went to a lot of away games back then as well,  loads I'll never forget, but one that will remain embedded in my mind forever was winning 6-4 At Birmingham after being 4-1 down.  Still believe those 3 points were the ones that secured a play off place and ultimately promotion to the Premiership.

Stopped going regularly in 2001 when I bought a house and was saving to get married and then my first son was born in 2003, which made it more difficult.  My Dad lost interest mainly due to the way the club was being run and we really didn't go at all for a few years.  Not exactly sure what made us return, the love never ever went away I suppose, but we've been season ticket holders for the last 3 seasons and this season my 6 year old has one as well.  Give it another couple of years and my youngest will be out there too.  People find it strange that it's me that goes to football with him and his dad is at home instead of the other way round.  To me it's his dad that's the strange one, why wouldn't you want to spend Saturday afternoon watching the Town - can't think of anywhere I'd rather be!  Smiley
carbonwhite

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Thursday, September 23, 2010, 20:06:27 »

born in swindon and have lived in pinehurst my whole life my first swindon match was the wembley match against leicester and ever since then i have always supported them.

as i was only 6 back then i cant really remember much but my earliest memory of a swindon match was the 4-2 home lose to wimbledon and vinnie jones ran up onto where they used to clean the kits to get a ball.

oh and i support swindon because my dad did and i grew up with them from premiership to league 2 until now
« Last Edit: Thursday, September 23, 2010, 20:08:10 by carbonwhite » Logged
crystall Tips

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Thursday, September 23, 2010, 21:16:47 »

had a season ticket for most of the last 30 years.   Dad started taking me in 78/79 I wanted to go cos that's what my big brother was doing.   79/80 season was one of the best, quote 4-3 defeat of Arsenal in the League Cup.   Still see Andy Rowland around quite often, would like to tell him he was one of my heroes.

Started going to away games in the mid eighties, went away week in week out, Grimsby away midweek, Newcastle even though it was live on the box and that kind of thing, until McMahon came in, then started to pick and choose.

69er between 1993 and 1998.   

Town love still going strong.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Thursday, September 23, 2010, 21:23:05 »

Born In Reading, Never lived in Swindon, In fact i've never even stayed overnight, and don't even have any relatives who have ever lived there. If I wander more than 100 yds from the ground I get completely lost.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Thursday, September 23, 2010, 21:30:10 »

Born in Swindon and still in Swindon.  As the first born I never really stood a chance of not being taken to the CG with my dad who had followed them since he was a teenager.  First game I saw was 1984 in the old Fourth Division.  I remember the Town End looking really scary!

Had season tickets standing in the Old Shrivenham Stand with my dad, a load of his mates and my 2 brothers for a fair few years in the early to mid 1990s  Went to a lot of away games back then as well,  loads I'll never forget, but one that will remain embedded in my mind forever was winning 6-4 At Birmingham after being 4-1 down.  Still believe those 3 points were the ones that secured a play off place and ultimately promotion to the Premiership.

Stopped going regularly in 2001 when I bought a house and was saving to get married and then my first son was born in 2003, which made it more difficult.  My Dad lost interest mainly due to the way the club was being run and we really didn't go at all for a few years.  Not exactly sure what made us return, the love never ever went away I suppose, but we've been season ticket holders for the last 3 seasons and this season my 6 year old has one as well.  Give it another couple of years and my youngest will be out there too.  People find it strange that it's me that goes to football with him and his dad is at home instead of the other way round.  To me it's his dad that's the strange one, why wouldn't you want to spend Saturday afternoon watching the Town - can't think of anywhere I'd rather be!  Smiley
tl;dr

Plastic glory supporter.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Thursday, September 23, 2010, 22:44:00 »

Born in Chippenham (I am a Calney though  Smiley). First Town game a 3-0 win against Oxford in '89 (I never went as a child).
Reading back through this there are quite a few bods with Calne connections; any of you go to JBS in the 80's?  Huh? Huh?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: