Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 29   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town FC vs Barrow AFC pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 27747 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: Sunday, April 16, 2023, 08:43:12 »

Our budget is by no means near the top end of the League. Not that it is the be and end all, more about the quality however if you are relying on the second biggest gates in the League for income you need to wake up because that is likely to reduce.
We have cut our budgets drastically.

You have no idea on our budget and how that compares to other teams.
Our attendances will drop but not as drastically as people are predicting. They will still be top 3/4 in this league.
DMC

« Reply #331 on: Sunday, April 16, 2023, 08:50:43 »

Our budget is by no means near the top end of the League. Not that it is the be and end all, more about the quality however if you are relying on the second biggest gates in the League for income you need to wake up because that is likely to reduce.
We have cut our budgets drastically.
That's just not true though. We have spent money on transfer fees and wages. We have added Austin and at the begining of the season added Macdonald on decent wages. Williams isn't on fuck all either. Players like Cain and Clayton will not be leaving Liverpoool on contracts and half decent wages to earn nothing.

The issue is what we have spent the money on for me, it is really really shit, but we have spent money
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: Sunday, April 16, 2023, 08:51:39 »

Some improvement in last couple of games since Mansfield.
It's a very low bar though.
Is trying to go unbeaten in next 5 games too much to ask for?
At least try and end the season on a positive note.

Noticed in the programme that Barrow's squad list had 22 names, ours had 38.
Any more & they'll have to use a smaller font.
That list needs to be trimmed to something between 25-30 including the usual sprinkling of JPT hopefuls.

As mentioned in another thread Rob Angus in his programme notes did acknowledge that "we know we have got things wrong this season and that you deserve better than the results we've been delivering" and also
"we are listening though and will make changes to ensure our recruitment is better, and you have my word that we will put together a budget and team that is capable of promotion next season, with the right balance of experience and youth".

No mention made of putting Sandro in a pillory in the town centre which might displease some.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: Sunday, April 16, 2023, 08:52:26 »

You have no idea on our budget and how that compares to other teams.
Our attendances will drop but not as drastically as people are predicting. They will still be top 3/4 in this league.

You would be surprised.
Still expecting our crowds next season to be top 5.
Clearly the potential 2 coming up from the National League. Let’s hope we address the physicality in midfield as a starter.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: Sunday, April 16, 2023, 08:55:23 »

Some improvement in last couple of games since Mansfield.
It's a very low bar though.
Is trying to go unbeaten in next 5 games too much to ask for?
At least try and end the season on a positive note.

Noticed in the programme that Barrow's squad list had 22 names, ours had 38.
Any more & they'll have to use a smaller font.
That list needs to be trimmed to something between 25-30 including the usual sprinkling of JPT hopefuls.

As mentioned in another thread Rob Angus in his programme notes did acknowledge that "we know we have got things wrong this season and that you deserve better than the results we've been delivering" and also
"we are listening though and will make changes to ensure our recruitment is better, and you have my word that we will put together a budget and team that is capable of promotion next season, with the right balance of experience and youth".

No mention made of putting Sandro in a pillory in the town centre which might displease some.

Pretty on the ball once again yesterday but no cutting edge.
Austin once again feeding on scraps and not enough time in and around the 18 yard box.

Yes I heard the Angus comments, we just have to be hopeful that they are planning now and not waiting for the loan giveaways.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: Sunday, April 16, 2023, 08:58:09 »

Reg would be telling us all that it’s nearly time to switch off from football, and concentrate on the cricket season.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: Sunday, April 16, 2023, 09:29:46 »

Reg would be telling us all that it’s nearly time to switch off from football, and concentrate on the cricket season.

That’s what I’m doing. I’m a ST holder, but the seats have been empty for a couple of games now. It’s not that I don’t care, I really do - but it’s not been entertaining and it’s difficult to throw emotional effort into a side that’s clearly incapable - or in the case of some, capable but don’t have professionalism to put the effort in. The shining beacon of hope is that we have a CEO who will know exactly how we feel - a voice in the camp - and his words above reflect ours. The open criticism of recruitment surely confirms that SDM has gone. Clean slate next season. Learn from this season. Start again.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: Sunday, April 16, 2023, 10:47:26 »

That’s what I’m doing. I’m a ST holder, but the seats have been empty for a couple of games now. It’s not that I don’t care, I really do - but it’s not been entertaining and it’s difficult to throw emotional effort into a side that’s clearly incapable - or in the case of some, capable but don’t have professionalism to put the effort in. The shining beacon of hope is that we have a CEO who will know exactly how we feel - a voice in the camp - and his words above reflect ours. The open criticism of recruitment surely confirms that SDM has gone. Clean slate next season. Learn from this season. Start again.

Wimbledon next week we’ve sold out, will be seeing the last 5 out but only the loyalty card now.
Pissed off with STFC absolute shambles.
Of course it can be redeemed but the honeymoon period long gone, major concerns have never gone away with me who is actually running the club.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: Sunday, April 16, 2023, 10:47:44 »

Quote from: DiV

Just typical of our fans.
Stop conceding from set pieces !!!
(We stick 11 men behind the ball)
Why are we putting 11 men behind the ball at set pieces ? *angry face*

ah come on, it isn't as stupid point as you are making out. you've played football enough to see the other side of the argument.

yes 11 people back gives you more defenders. but out also brings 11 apponents into your half too.  There are always some that can't defend.

if you stick someone on the half way line that's useless in the air, it least it brings back a couple of opponents out the danger area

defending isn't just about numbers. Thankfully barrow messed up most of their crossing opportunities, though we still had to clear one off the line
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #339 on: Sunday, April 16, 2023, 10:55:43 »

Regardless of Austin we really need to sort the supply issue out.

RHM isn't exactly shit, but has no footballing brain. Movement isn't great out of possession.

Wakeling should be up top with Austin, not wide

khan is good one game, crap 3

mcE is alright but not sure I'd have him and khan in the same team.

Hutton is either marked out the game or finding it though going. Crosses are more miss than hit.

Darcy has his moments but ultimately see Khan..

Williams was probably the brightest of the bunch but his set pieces (corners) were poor.

kadji isn't a ball player type
That is pretty much my take on it too.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: Sunday, April 16, 2023, 11:30:08 »

Heard a rumour yesterday that makes some sense, apparently Lindsey was a bit of a soft touch when it came to the players, but Morris is a bit more of a disciplinarian and some of them don’t like it.
Hope this is true, he just needs to learn how to give them a bollocking

Oh, boo-hoo.

Some of these players were crap under a soft touch and now they're crap under a disciplinarian.  The common denominator is clear to see.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: Sunday, April 16, 2023, 12:36:16 »

A glass half empty poster complaining about fans being glass half empty - classic TEF

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: Sunday, April 16, 2023, 12:44:06 »

You would be surprised.
Still expecting our crowds next season to be top 5.
Clearly the potential 2 coming up from the National League. Let’s hope we address the physicality in midfield as a starter.

Wrexham and Bradford will be up there unless Bradford get prom this season.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: Sunday, April 16, 2023, 13:50:40 »

ah come on, it isn't as stupid point as you are making out. you've played football enough to see the other side of the argument.

yes 11 people back gives you more defenders. but out also brings 11 apponents into your half too.  There are always some that can't defend.

if you stick someone on the half way line that's useless in the air, it least it brings back a couple of opponents out the danger area

defending isn't just about numbers. Thankfully barrow messed up most of their crossing opportunities, though we still had to clear one off the line

I am willing to bet a considerable amount that at no point when we had 11 men behind the ball to defend a set piece Barrow sent all 11 of their players to attack said set piece.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: Sunday, April 16, 2023, 13:59:12 »

they were all comfortably in our half on free kicks and done corners.

You can see 9 in this capture alone.

I get 7 v 10 in the box should give us an advantage and cover more space, but only if all 10 can actually defend.

All I'm saying is it's not stupid to ask if we should have someone around half way line to chase a clearance

* Screenshot_2023-04-16-15-13-19-955_com.android.chrome.jpg (934.62 KB, 2400x1080 - viewed 37 times.)
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 16, 2023, 14:15:14 by Batch » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 29   Go Up
Print
Jump to: