Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Property/Moving thread  (Read 35400 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Friday, November 13, 2020, 16:16:38 »

If you used one of the bulk conveyancing outfits recommended to you by an estate agent, I am not surprised by this.

No, we are actually using the same lawyer that the wife used to buy the flat that we are selling now.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Friday, November 13, 2020, 16:17:29 »

If you used one of the bulk conveyancing outfits recommended to you by an estate agent, I am not surprised by this.

All are different, first house we bought we used local solicitor practice, the searches took bloody ages, weeks and weeks passed and despite a chase every few days calls were not returned and nothing updated. Finally kicked off and threatened to take business elsewhere suddenly a call back within the hour, transpired that the solicitor dealing with it had been off sick for 4 weeks yet no one had told us nor passed the case to a colleague, long and short it was all reviewed and done in a week after that.

Since then have used a local conveyancer who has been brilliant, gone way beyond the call of duty on a couple of transactions for no extra fee!  
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Friday, November 13, 2020, 16:18:55 »

Even more infuriating when the fuckers dont even respond to your email

Customer Service is a big thing for me and non-response is indeed a massive frustration. I guess its as we are desperate to move as soon as physically possible so these minor inconveniences tend to be blown out of proportion!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Friday, November 13, 2020, 16:23:23 »

All are different, first house we bought we used local solicitor practice, the searches took bloody ages, weeks and weeks passed and despite a chase every few days calls were not returned and nothing updated. Finally kicked off and threatened to take business elsewhere suddenly a call back within the hour, transpired that the solicitor dealing with it had been off sick for 4 weeks yet no one had told us nor passed the case to a colleague, long and short it was all reviewed and done in a week after that.

Since then have used a local conveyancer who has been brilliant, gone way beyond the call of duty on a couple of transactions for no extra fee!  

You are right, of course - service can vary across the board.  I have not been impressed with certain bulk conveyancing firms when dealing with them both professionally and personally.

Nothing to see here
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Friday, November 13, 2020, 17:00:39 »

Customer Service is a big thing for me and non-response is indeed a massive frustration. I guess its as we are desperate to move as soon as physically possible so these minor inconveniences tend to be blown out of proportion!

Thing is a lot of conveyancing is done on a fixed fee, unlike the more general legal stuff where the buggers contact you constantly at £x per telephone call and £y per email and £z per letter, when its on the basis you cant keep them quiet I find.
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Friday, November 13, 2020, 17:14:31 »

Even if the lawyer is working on a hourly rate, they should provide a fee estimate etc.

Nothing to see here
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Friday, November 13, 2020, 18:46:33 »

You could try phoning the search department of the local authority, directly, to ascertain timescales for local searches (and cheekily, without much prospect of success, enquire how your own search is progressing).  Timescales vary greatly from authority to authority.  Bear in mind there are other pieces to the jigsaw, like the local water authority, replies to enquiries from the Seller and so on. 

A decent outfit should be able to spare you 6 minutes to check and 6 minutes to speak to you to give you a reasonable rundown of ETAs and the specific searches being undertaken.  If you email, there'll be a black and white record of your attempts to get an answer.  You could be laying the groundwork for a Complaint that way, or more realistically a way to exert pressure later.

It is not uncommon for Licensed Conveyancers to give better service than than solicitors, even if they will ultimately be less knowledgeable than the best solicitors. Conveyancing factories are shit as are those agents who recommend them for a commission, often falsely claiming their appointment by you will make everything "easier to manage".
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Friday, November 13, 2020, 18:50:49 »

It is not uncommon for Licensed Conveyancers to give better service than than solicitors

Interesting view

Nothing to see here
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #83 on: Saturday, November 14, 2020, 12:17:56 »

Yep, we have found this over the last 2 weeks or so. They are a nightmare to get any bloody information out of! Caveat - understood that its a very busy time for them, but a quick holding email to say all's good, or i'll get back to you by xxx doesn't take much time or effort.

Kind regards,
Gareth

xxx
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Saturday, November 14, 2020, 12:29:34 »

Kind regards,
Gareth

xxx

Girl Giggle Clap

Hunk

« Reply #85 on: Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 20:20:41 »

I'm looking for a lodger. 475 a month all in, large single, part furnished, en suite with bath and shower in an Old Town Townhouse. DM me if anyone knows anyone looking
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Monday, November 23, 2020, 17:04:45 »

Random question - what's the ettiquette around holes in walls from pictures etc when a place is sold? Is it the done thing to fill in the holes and paint the wall etc?

Just remembered I made a right mess of putting the TV on the wall and I'm sure there are about 6 bloody holes hiding!

Panda Paws

« Reply #87 on: Monday, November 23, 2020, 17:06:44 »

Personally wouldn't bother.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Monday, November 23, 2020, 17:09:58 »

Personally wouldn't bother.

Agreed, they’ll probably end up redecorating
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Monday, November 23, 2020, 17:12:23 »

Cool - thanks guys. That's what I was thinking to be honest.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: