Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Property/Moving thread  (Read 35408 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, October 13, 2020, 09:34:23 »

Neighbours..  not the TV show..

Having lived in a flat for a lot of my life and the last 6 years in London our next property will be taking neighbours into consideration, a rural place with few people around seems very tempting right now!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2020, 09:38:35 »

Having lived in a flat for a lot of my life and the last 6 years in London our next property will be taking neighbours into consideration, a rural place with few people around seems very tempting right now!

Going from mid terrace in city centre to detached in a small village has been marvellous!
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2020, 09:47:56 »

Going from mid terrace in city centre to detached in a small village has been marvellous!

I couldn't go back to terraced again as the noise was a real problem and not helped by having young 20 year olds living next door with parties etc

So, give no fucks
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2020, 10:12:13 »

That's what we are looking to do - good to hear Horlock! So much countryside though so difficult to know where exactly to go! It won't be as far north as you as need to get to London for work!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2020, 21:08:32 »

Yeah we are looking for the same, move either completely rural within reasonable distance of Swindon, or one of the surrounding villages.  Needs to be detached and tick as many boxes as possible that we are looking for.

We already have a few possibles on our list..  I just don't want neighbours ruining my life..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2020, 06:13:50 »

Yeah we are looking for the same, move either completely rural within reasonable distance of Swindon, or one of the surrounding villages.  Needs to be detached and tick as many boxes as possible that we are looking for.

We already have a few possibles on our list..  I just don't want neighbours ruining my life..
The problem in doing this around Swindon (and many similar towns) is finding somewhere that isn't likely to get swallowed up by developers' expansion schemes in the next 10 years or so. I guess if you go far enough out, you should be able to avoid it
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2020, 06:28:04 »

Or buy this place and pocket oodles of cash

https://www.french-property.com/sale-property/1510-34081
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2020, 08:13:06 »

The problem in doing this around Swindon (and many similar towns) is finding somewhere that isn't likely to get swallowed up by developers' expansion schemes in the next 10 years or so. I guess if you go far enough out, you should be able to avoid it

Good point. Personally we want to be rural but close enough to Towns/Cities for commuting etc. New housing estates personally just don't appeal but as you say its difficult to know what will happen in the landscape. Out of interest do Grade 2 listed properties mean they are more or less protected?

Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2020, 08:15:20 »

Or buy this place and pocket oodles of cash

https://www.french-property.com/sale-property/1510-34081

Properties in France can be so cheap! You can get 8 bedroom massive places with pool for 200k Euro.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2020, 08:31:34 »

Right here goes.....

In terms of seeing where development is proposed its worth looking at the Local Plan (no idea where this process stands at the moment in Swindon) to see what has been allocated for housing and also look at where they are with their SHELAA (this seems to be fairly up to date https://www.swindon.gov.uk/downloads/file/4177/shelaa_report_final_2019 ) finally TBH talk to agents or locals, for instance round here when we were looking there were loads of houses popping up on a nice road but with a little digging it became clear that the local estate (who own a lot of the farmland) were planning to promote the fields behind them all for development which they subsequently did.

Good point. Personally we want to be rural but close enough to Towns/Cities for commuting etc. New housing estates personally just don't appeal but as you say its difficult to know what will happen in the landscape. Out of interest do Grade 2 listed properties mean they are more or less protected?

Grade II properties are as protected as I or II* in simple terms to do anything physical to them needs LBC plus anything within their setting draws impact on their setting into a material consideration. Oh and you have very limited (if any) PD rights.

Properties in France can be so cheap! You can get 8 bedroom massive places with pool for 200k Euro.

The rural French property market is dying on its arse and Brexit is just going to make it worse, when they decided to move back my old man tried to sell their place in the Aude (near Carcassonne) and they couldn't give it away, managed to get a British tenant in who is paying rent in sterling so not affected by the pound being shite. Problem specifically is that the main market down there is German or British and with Brexit, British aren't buying!
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 14, 2020, 08:34:04 by horlock07 » Logged
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2020, 08:36:15 »

Right here goes.....

Grade II properties are as protected as I or II* in simple terms to do anything physical to them needs LBC plus anything within their setting draws impact on their setting into a material consideration. Oh and you have very limited (if any) PD rights.

Thanks Horlock. Was aware of the PD rights which rule out a lot of properties which have one bathroom downstairs or whatever!

It might be worth moving this into its own thread if any mods can be arsed?

Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2020, 10:56:39 »

A property/moving thread sounds good, I've got the agent coming round in 10 minutes to get mine on the market.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2020, 10:59:26 »

A property/moving thread sounds good, I've got the agent coming round in 10 minutes to get mine on the market.

I've recently done mine and got 1% selling fee

So, give no fucks
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, October 15, 2020, 09:15:35 »

I opened up a can of worms in the "Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you" thread about wanting to move due to my neighbours.. I (and others) thinks it warrants it's own thread.  If an Admin can do their black magic and move the current conversation in here it would be appreciated..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, October 15, 2020, 09:37:35 »

I actually quite like my neighbours. But like so many others at the moment we're looking to get out of town to somewhere a bit quieter.

The for sale board should be going up today.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: