Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1194858 times)
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Sunday, March 1, 2020, 13:59:01 »

Time to jump off a cliff, what with Brexit and the Conservatives in for a decade. Achoo, achoo.
Cheltred

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Sunday, March 1, 2020, 14:03:18 »

Is a football stadium indoors or outdoors?
I think they said this does not apply to football
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Sunday, March 1, 2020, 14:35:12 »

How many deaths have the UK had?

‘Cemeteries and crematoriums are also reported to be drawing up plans to deal with a rise in bodies, with families possibly being allowed to hold funerals in their homes, schools, pubs or hotels if churches and chapels become overwhelmed.’
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Sunday, March 1, 2020, 14:42:18 »

Confirmed case just over the border in Tetbury, getting closer
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Sunday, March 1, 2020, 14:51:45 »

there's currently only 35 cases confirmed  in Britain.

obviously it could get far far far worse.

I think I heard government contingency planning is made on a 70% population infection rate.

if my maffs ain't screwy, that's 464K deaths.

let's hope we get nowhere near worst case
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Sunday, March 1, 2020, 14:54:56 »

I’ve had a sore throat for 3 days. It’s the first sign apparently!

Run for the hills!
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Sunday, March 1, 2020, 15:32:53 »

there's currently only 35 cases confirmed  in Britain.

...and I think if we're all honest, we know it'll be significantly more in reality.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Sunday, March 1, 2020, 18:07:21 »

Although it's actually a load of bollocks, and 38% of Americans did NOT say they wouldn't drink Corona because of the coronavirus. Just misleading PR guff.

https://factcheck.thedispatch.com/p/are-38-percent-of-americans-avoiding

My error but I read it as 38% of 737 people interviewed and not the whole of the USA of course. But if it's bollocks my only excuse (and poor one) is I read it at 1am and pretty much posted it here after reading so didn't check!

How many deaths have the UK had?

‘Cemeteries and crematoriums are also reported to be drawing up plans to deal with a rise in bodies, with families possibly being allowed to hold funerals in their homes, schools, pubs or hotels if churches and chapels become overwhelmed.’

That's quote is horribly scaremongering towards the public way more than is necessary. There aren't going to be mass deaths here from it. Yes a lot of people may catch it (still believe the numbers will be small relatively) but a lot aren't going to die and not in genocidal impacting style ways.

Think the operative word there is "if".

1. there's currently only 35 cases confirmed  in Britain.
2. obviously it could get far far far worse.
3. let's hope we get nowhere near worst case

I'm sure you're aware Batch but;

1. Confirmed cases really doesn't mean confirmed deaths. I wish the media would stop painting it like this.
2. It could but it won't get far, far, far worse here.
3. We won't. 450k-500k UK Deaths is quite frankly not going to happen in a year or even 10 years.

Just for a look at a different virus, which seemingly doesn't stop people going about their day to day lives;

Mosquito-borne diseases kill around 3000 people per day, every year. Many have conveniently forgotten about the fucking Zika virus though, of which there's no specific treatment for it. Yet we don't see everyone in those affected countries losing their shit "just in case they get it". No one sunbathes in Brazil do they? Yet Zika has an 8.3% CFR. Malaria has, wait for it, 200 million new cases reported every year too.

https://www.who.int/news-room/facts-in-pictures/detail/malaria

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1876034118300431

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Sunday, March 1, 2020, 18:16:58 »

of course I know the difference between cases and deaths . 400k deaths is 70% of UK population infected, 1% mortality.

I'm not saying we'll get a 70% infection rate. I've no idea. it'll hopefully be like sars/bird flu/swine flu. nasty  but nowhere near as bad as could be.

I'm just pointing out the reason the government is talking in those terms  is because they are planning to worst case.

if they didn't plan to that, they'd be negligent.

scarring the public may have a positive effect on this case anyway. namely self isolation precautions where needed, and being more sanitary in hygine.

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Sunday, March 1, 2020, 18:33:25 »

Sorry. I agree with all of that except the last bit. Well it'll have a positive effect for the government, by doing what they love doing...keeping people in their demographic boxes. I can understand what you're thinking though.

I just feel the pudding is being over-egged way more than necessary and that's my personal opinion. If only then, the government were this proactive and zero tolerant when it came to humanitarian issues like racism and suchlike.

Unfortunately, they'll only really worry anyway when it has a danger of effecting their investment funds (which in some markets, may have already done) "call to action!"

'Incessant Nonsense'

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Sunday, March 1, 2020, 18:45:06 »

My error but I read it as 38% of 737 people interviewed and not the whole of the USA of course. But if it's bollocks my only excuse (and poor one) is I read it at 1am and pretty much posted it here after reading so didn't check!
It's not even that. 38% of the 737 said they didn't intend to drink Corona, but that wasn't related to coronavirus, just they didn't intend to drink it because (e.g.) they didn't drink it normally anyway. Only 4% of the 737 said they didn't intend to carry on drinking Corona and it's not clear whether that is because of coronavirus or just because. As a proper pollster commented in the factcheck piece of the claim that 38% of Americans are going to stop drinking Corona because of coronavirus "It's a sensational, inaccurate, and flat-out dumb thing to say that is not based in the data at all."
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Sunday, March 1, 2020, 18:46:59 »

Mosquito-borne diseases kill around 3000 people per day, every year. Many have conveniently forgotten about the fucking Zika virus though, of which there's no specific treatment for it. Yet we don't see everyone in those affected countries losing their shit "just in case they get it". No one sunbathes in Brazil do they? Yet Zika has an 8.3% CFR. Malaria has, wait for it, 200 million new cases reported every year too.
Yeah but they're all foreign people so they don't count. This could affect British people for Gods' sake!
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Sunday, March 1, 2020, 20:24:37 »

Yeah but they're all foreign people so they don't count. This could affect British people for Gods' sake!

Zika? I’ll raise you with Ebola.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Sunday, March 1, 2020, 20:28:53 »

It's not even that. 38% of the 737 said they didn't intend to drink Corona, but that wasn't related to coronavirus...As a proper pollster commented in the factcheck piece of the claim that 38% of Americans are going to stop drinking Corona because of coronavirus "It's a sensational, inaccurate, and flat-out dumb thing to say that is not based in the data at all."

Quoted and noted  Wink

I know! I know! Bloody disgusting that God hasn't waded in on this and had his say! After all it is usually his "way".

'Incessant Nonsense'

mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Monday, March 2, 2020, 19:13:06 »

3 cases in my town now. Imported from Italy. I preferred pasta and Sergio tachinni
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: