Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town FC v Colchester United pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 36040 times)
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Sunday, March 3, 2019, 11:57:43 »

I see Sid Nelson has only played 3 games for Tranmere with 1 start. Can see him coming back in the summer alongside Broadbent.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Sunday, March 3, 2019, 11:58:12 »

I think several of the loans will still be with us next season, I hope Robinson will sign for us on a perm, Koiki will sign on a loan for the season (yes I know he didnt start yesterday) as Wellens said Woolf may or may not re sign next season if Ipswich stay up, Wellens stated that Carroll could be available next season for a year loan, Bennett...not sure about, he offers very little all game then scores almost out of the blue, yes helped by the keeper a lot, but he still took a shot, something Anderson needs to learn to do.

A funny point from the pre match interviews last week, I love how Steve Mildenhall says he constantly rips the piss out of Carroll for coming from Oxford....good lad!

That's the point though.... lots of uncertainty. It's how it is, and what a gaffer has to work with.   
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #227 on: Sunday, March 3, 2019, 12:02:05 »

That's the point though.... lots of uncertainty. It's how it is, and what a gaffer has to work with.   
I think the uncertainty is the same at every club, especially at this level.

Some clubs like Oldham had almost an entire change of personal in the summer and with Scholes coming in the same could happen next season too.

Thats the way football is now, not many long term contracts, although Power said yesterday that he is doing his best to tie down everyone early for next season, the only one dawdling on signing is Vigs and his " representitives" as he calls them.

Also some contracts could be put on hold to see which division we will actually be in next season as there is still a possibility it could be L1.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Sunday, March 3, 2019, 12:02:08 »

I see Sid Nelson has only played 3 games for Tranmere with 1 start. Can see him coming back in the summer alongside Broadbent.

Interesting.... I noticed they lost in his first game, and then assumed their improved results may have been down to him bringing something to their side.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Sunday, March 3, 2019, 12:06:15 »

I think the uncertainty is the same at every club, especially at this level.

Some clubs like Oldham had almost an entire change of personal in the summer and with Scholes coming in the same could happen next season too.

Thats the way football is now, not many long term contracts, although Power said yesterday that he is doing his best to tie down everyone early for next season, the only one dawdling on signing is Vigs and his " representitives" as he calls them.

Also some contracts could be put on hold to see which division we will actually be in next season as there is still a possibility it could be L1.

Yes.... more or less everybody is in the same boat.  It does mean though that short term is the name of the game... we've now got about 10 weeks possibly extended with this group of players, then come July,the group will look very different.
Panda Paws

« Reply #230 on: Sunday, March 3, 2019, 12:09:27 »

The specific players are in a way irrelevant. Wellens has shown so far he can recruit, plays effective football and adapts.

Yesterday we played much longer than previously under RW, particularly diagonals, because they're fullbacks are very attacking and small - Very effective it was too. Have seen some comments saying we weren't brave or confident on the ball, but in my mind it's more we adapted and played in a different way against good opposition.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Sunday, March 3, 2019, 12:18:36 »

The specific players are in a way irrelevant. Wellens has shown so far he can recruit, plays effective football and adapts.

Yesterday we played much longer than previously under RW, particularly diagonals, because they're fullbacks are very attacking and small - Very effective it was too. Have seen some comments saying we weren't brave or confident on the ball, but in my mind it's more we adapted and played in a different way against good opposition.

Yes... the modern game is very much about getting something out of the players you've got.  It was pretty obvious looking at his pick, there was something in mind, a bit different to the usual.

Great when it works, not so great when it doesn't and it looks like you're getting carried away by your own tactical genius.
Panda Paws

« Reply #232 on: Sunday, March 3, 2019, 12:21:20 »

As someone else said earlier it's almost like the guy with 500+ professional appearances and all his coaching badges knows what he's doing, and knows more than a bunch of weird lower league football fans.
Processed Beats

I drop beats from this processed meat.

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Sunday, March 3, 2019, 12:40:05 »

Wouldn’t be so sure on that. Conroy has been quite good recently, helped obviously by having someone as physical and dependable as Broadbent beside him. His bursts forwards and eye for a pass/cross played a part in goals against both Grimsby and ColU. I guess he hasn’t yet been tested by a truly physical forward like Akinfenwa but I’ve been quite impressed by him.

Signing Sid would be great for competition for places, though.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Sunday, March 3, 2019, 12:50:07 »

As someone else said earlier it's almost like the guy with 500+ professional appearances and all his coaching badges knows what he's doing, and knows more than a bunch of weird lower league football fans.
Yeah. Changing tactics for specific opponents - madness!

And, to top it all, he changes players’ positions during the game. Almost unbelievable we got a 3-0 win doing those sort of things.

Everyone knows you should just carry on regardless.
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 3, 2019, 12:51:41 by The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey » Logged
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Sunday, March 3, 2019, 12:54:42 »

that was me, what I meant was that the midfield yesterday was very safe and solid. Passers who go side to side and backwards. Our goals came from the confidence I was referring to. Theo drove forward with the ball having closed down all game and Carroll took it on him to sprint towards the 6 yard box to be in a position to finish.

Woofenden made a run from deep demanding the ball back post to head home. Bennett took a chance and shot from distance when we saw a lack of options.

Colchester weren't showing intent and the game was there like so many at home. Doughty is a risk taker always looking for an attack with movement or a layoff. it's what good players do. don't wait for an opening but make one.

Robinson is the epitome of this. He chases down every ball, challenges for every header regardless of a chance of winning it and gives defenders a torrid time. I used to look at Richards and Adebayo playing and think I would absolutely be loving it if I was a cb against them.

yesterday the long balls and diagonals did work but it was the slow build up play especially in the first half hour. An example being we had the ball for 20 mins trying to find an opening, Colchester opened us up with 4 passes and nearer scored.
Flashheart

« Reply #236 on: Sunday, March 3, 2019, 13:20:13 »

Wellens seems to have a very common sense approach.

We have no left back so what does he do? He signs a left back.
We have no real strikers so he goes out and signs Theo Robinson.
Playing against a team with a very good winger... puts our best fullback against him to keep him quiet.

Things that you would think don't need explaining but still some managers get wrong.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Sunday, March 3, 2019, 13:24:11 »

Quote from: bigbobjoylove
he had picked up and injury early on and had to go of in his first or second hand for them.

Not sure if he's back 100% yet
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Sunday, March 3, 2019, 13:48:48 »

he had picked up and injury early on and had to go of in his first or second hand for them.

Not sure if he's back 100% yet

Broke his nose apparently then again within the next couple of games,
Not sure if that's keeping him out or something else.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Sunday, March 3, 2019, 14:07:05 »

Doubt a broken nose would keep Sid out. He's a nutcase (a good one), you've only got to ask his Dad!  Wink

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: