Poll
Question: Should we employ Phil 'tango' Brown as manager for next season?
Yes - 64 (59.8%)
No - 30 (28%)
Don't care - 13 (12.1%)
Total Voters: 98

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Phil Brown: Yes or No?  (Read 136039 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 09:00:53 »

Even at break even, we have one of the biggest budgets in the league. There's no doubt PB would not have taken the job unless we were planning on competing. Again, anything less than play-offs is a failure, as it was this year.

We're one of the bigger clubs in this league with one of the bigger fanbases.  We're punching below our weight and, as you say, anything other than a play off place has to be considered a failure on that basis.

The small ray of hope that I keep focusing on is that even after years of mediocrity (how many other sides have had as little as we have to cheer in recent years?) we still manage regularly to drum up 4 figure away followings at unexciting grounds a couple of hours from Swindon that we've all been to many times before.  The core support is alive & well.

But the core support could really do with something to get excited about next season, Mr Brown.  Speaking as the Dad of two young lads growing up in prime Chelsea/Arsenal territory who have never known a Swindon side to have achieved anything of note, you'd be making my job of keeping them interested a whole lot easier with a promotion push.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 09:16:49 »

I think one (and maybe the only) positive to come out of the last year is the fact Power has really made an effort to become a chairman and nothing more.
The season before last someone like Phil Brown wouldn’t have even thought about coming to Swindon as it was well known the manager didn’t sign the players and allegedly sometimes didn’t even pick the team. Even last summer I think we struggled to attract decent managers because they all believed this to be the case. Infact I still only think Flitcroft took the job because he was as desperate for a job as we were for a manager.

I actually believe Phil Brown wants to be here which is refreshing, I know his record with us so far is poor but I doubt he would be short of offers to move to another club in the next couple of months if he really wanted too. He could have just held on for the summer if he didn’t really want to be at Swindon.

I think Power deserves some credit for the last year or so, he’s spent money on transfer fees, he gave Flitcroft a half decent budget and he’s acted swiftly with regards to appointing a new manager when needed, both mid season and now. He’s also obviously committed to another half decent budget for the following season to keep Brown here.

Strangely, after our lowest finish in years, for the first time in a long time I’m actually looking forward to the season ahead.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #317 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 09:37:41 »

I am more impressed with us signing PB as manager than I was when we got in "the man who cannot be nicknamed" last year.

PB has double the managerial experience of DF and managed at a far higher level than DF probably ever will.

Under PB we have become harder to beat, but we also seem to find it a little harder to score than under DF, but if you are strong at the back then you don't lose as many games, good teams are built on strong defences.

Under DF we lost 5 games by 2+ goals, under PB that was one vs Exeter when we were the better side first half too and should have been a couple of goals up at HT.

I know it was an end of season game but we totally outplayed the division champions 3-0 when they played their strongest side and were looking for the win so not taking the game lightly.

With PB being allowed a certain amount of play on the budget, bringing back the clubs (current) best keeper from exile and signing a few players he knows in crucial positions then I think we could do well this coming season.

We drew 8 games, 5 of those under PB, games which could easily have gone our way if it wasn't for a few bits of luck, poor decisions etc (yes I know its the same for most teams) but I feel we are not that far from being a good side, at times under PB we looked far better than 90% of games under DF.

He managed to turn Dunne round from being a really poor L2 player into a handy squad addition who at times (Accrington home and Cambridge away) was probably the best player on the pitch.

Defence and keeper are major areas that need improving as both RCC and Moore have looked major weaknesses in goal (except for Moores last game when he did look solid) if Vigs can come back rejuvenated from his loan spell then that position is sorted.

Then its defence. CB especially so as Knoyle is becoming a very good player at RB, Purkiss is a handy fill in accross defence, Preston and Conroy when they come back hopefully will be vying for CB but we still need a solid LB and more cover at CB.

An attacking midfielder or box to box player similar in style to Elsnik and one more good striker and I think we will have the basis of a promotion chasing team for next season.

I am glad Power got the managerial appointment done early doors so PB can locate his targets and get them signed as soon as they become available.
« Last Edit: Friday, May 11, 2018, 09:41:02 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #318 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 09:38:39 »

I think one (and maybe the only) positive to come out of the last year is the fact Power has really made an effort to become a chairman and nothing more.
The season before last someone like Phil Brown wouldn’t have even thought about coming to Swindon as it was well known the manager didn’t sign the players and allegedly sometimes didn’t even pick the team. Even last summer I think we struggled to attract decent managers because they all believed this to be the case. Infact I still only think Flitcroft took the job because he was as desperate for a job as we were for a manager.

I actually believe Phil Brown wants to be here which is refreshing, I know his record with us so far is poor but I doubt he would be short of offers to move to another club in the next couple of months if he really wanted too. He could have just held on for the summer if he didn’t really want to be at Swindon.

I think Power deserves some credit for the last year or so, he’s spent money on transfer fees, he gave Flitcroft a half decent budget and he’s acted swiftly with regards to appointing a new manager when needed, both mid season and now. He’s also obviously committed to another half decent budget for the following season to keep Brown here.

Strangely, after our lowest finish in years, for the first time in a long time I’m actually looking forward to the season ahead.

I agree with all of that.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 09:48:11 »

I'll give you a counter argument;

Your statement is wrong Reg. Even with PB's 10 game record. We would not have been relegated.

No you're wrong.  The statement down with the dead men, doesn't say we would be relegated.  That would have been expressed by saying "we would have been relegated"

In this season's sense, down with the dead men, is the likes of Grimsby 51 points, who came to the CG with a couple of games left needing to win and hope other results went their way. Even then their win didn't guarantee FL status.

Personally I'd rather not explore a FL relegation battle, which is why it is imperative that PB improves on his initial record as I stated.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 10:06:47 »

Personally I'd rather not explore a FL relegation battle

Yeah right, you wouldn’t be able to type out “I told you so” fast enough
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 10:30:49 »

Dunno, not easy to type quickly one handed. There'd be a run on Kleenex in the shops near his house though
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 10:33:37 »

He's been predicting one for at least the 15 years I've shared a forum with him so give him his credit and let him have his fun!
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 12:05:53 »

I'm happy enough with the appointment. Whilst it isn't earth shattering or particularly unexpected it brings a sense of stability and reassurance, especially with it being done nice and early.

The next few months will be full of discussion over which positions need filling. All I'll say for now is that the signing of somebody like Simon Cox and/or one or two others proven at L1 level would go a long way to building some optimism about the year ahead.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 12:10:15 »

I'm happy enough with the appointment. Whilst it isn't earth shattering or particularly unexpected it brings a sense of stability and reassurance, especially with it being done nice and early.

The next few months will be full of discussion over which positions need filling. All I'll say for now is that the signing of somebody like Simon Cox and/or one or two others proven at L1 level would go a long way to building some optimism about the year ahead.

Cox would be a curious one.... all the evidence is that players who come back after a long time away, disappoint.

However it seems that if they go for a relatively short time and come back, it can work out.
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 13:31:34 »

I believe Brown has been quite clever in making himself the desirable option, despite an atrocious set of results under his tenure so far. He has managed to lay the blame at the foot of the previous regime and the injury situation. There may of course be truth in this assertion, especially the latter. Interestingly, he shares some of the traits of the previous incumbent, but has had the common sense/ natural ability to outdo him in spades where charm is concerned. We Town fans like to be flattered. The real test, of course, begins now. I am hopeful that he will be canny enough to do a better job than Flitcroft, who was awful with the media and seems to have stubbornly made enemies of certain players. It's a fine balance though. Brown has cleverly made public that he'd welcome back the likes of 'Waterford's number 1' (one of Power's few genuine assets, whose stock he'll be banking on rising again) but in reality, Vigs is not the Messiah, he's just a naughty boy. All in all I'm hopeful that the players will respond better to a wily 58 year old, and Power may also find the experience of working with a man of greater vintage different.
« Last Edit: Friday, May 11, 2018, 13:41:11 by sir windon » Logged
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 13:34:06 »

We all know Tom Smith is the Messiah
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 13:44:53 »

We all know Tom Smith is the Messiah

Not the Piper's son, surely?

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 13:59:45 »

I believe Brown has been quite clever in making himself the desirable option, despite an atrocious set of results under his tenure so far. He has managed to lay the blame at the foot of the previous regime and the injury situation. There may of course be truth in this assertion, especially the latter. Interestingly, he shares some of the traits of the previous incumbent, but has had the common sense/ natural ability to outdo him in spades where charm is concerned. We Town fans like to be flattered. The real test, of course, begins now. I am hopeful that he will be canny enough to do a better job than Flitcroft, who was awful with the media and seems to have stubbornly made enemies of certain players. It's a fine balance though. Brown has cleverly made public that he'd welcome back the likes of 'Waterford's number 1' (one of Power's few genuine assets, whose stock he'll be banking on rising again) but in reality, Vigs is not the Messiah, he's just a naughty boy. All in all I'm hopeful that the players will respond better to a wily 58 year old, and Power may also find the experience of working with a man of greater vintage different.
Hmm, Flitcroft started out quite popular because he peddled a good line in bullshit. It was when the walk clearly failed to match the talk that his popularity diminished. So I'm not sure your central thesis that Brown is more charming/better with the media particularly holds up. He's in a bit of a "Not Flitcroft" honeymoon period at the moment rightly enough, but that will soon fade if he doesn't hit the ground running next season.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 14:37:21 »

Hmm, Flitcroft started out quite popular because he peddled a good line in bullshit. It was when the walk clearly failed to match the talk that his popularity diminished. So I'm not sure your central thesis that Brown is more charming/better with the media particularly holds up. He's in a bit of a "Not Flitcroft" honeymoon period at the moment rightly enough, but that will soon fade if he doesn't hit the ground running next season.

Of course, you would never assume you know how fellow fans think.

Further Phil won't need to hit the ground running as apparently, maintaining an 11 point record after 10 games will be just fine...
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: