Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fans phone in, Friday 6pm  (Read 80908 times)
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Wednesday, February 6, 2019, 07:03:28 »

Shaun Hodgetts has always kept a nice little sideline in hosting club events at the County Ground. I am sure he favours not upsetting the apple cart to keep those cosy club events going.

As Lee Power played for Norwich, Shaun is pretty close to a Wiltshire version of Alan Partridge. My favourite is when he interviews young supporters and asks 'Name, age, what school do you go to and no swearing you're live on the radio'.

Sent from my HTC U11

Even so, I still don't get the angst.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Flashheart

« Reply #316 on: Wednesday, February 6, 2019, 07:40:19 »

The claims against Hodgetts have been shown to be demonstrably false time and time again. That doesn't matter though to some, though. Once a rumour has set in it's very difficult to shift. I liken it to how people believe misleading\false headlines. The same paper could come out the following day and say it was all false but the damage would already be done. People would still believe what was printed the previous day.

We live in a society where rumour and speculation take precedence over fact. Hodgetts just happens to be one of those that got caught up in it.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Wednesday, February 6, 2019, 08:45:30 »

Seems I’m in a minority here, but I love the fact he’s been covering town for as long as he has (when did he start - early 90s, or even before then?). He loves the club - has dedicated a career to it -  and will be a hell of a lot better and more knowledgable than the [pick top 4 Premier League club] fan that one day replaces him.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: Wednesday, February 6, 2019, 09:36:10 »

The claims against Hodgetts have been shown to be demonstrably false time and time again. That doesn't matter though to some, though. Once a rumour has set in it's very difficult to shift. I liken it to how people believe misleading\false headlines. The same paper could come out the following day and say it was all false but the damage would already be done. People would still believe what was printed the previous day.

We live in a society where rumour and speculation take precedence over fact. Hodgetts just happens to be one of those that got caught up in it.

Demonstrably shown by our audrey the other day with Red Bull..
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #319 on: Wednesday, February 6, 2019, 09:37:40 »

Seems I’m in a minority here, but I love the fact he’s been covering town for as long as he has (when did he start - early 90s, or even before then?). He loves the club - has dedicated a career to it -  and will be a hell of a lot better and more knowledgable than the [pick top 4 Premier League club] fan that one day replaces him.
I don't mind Shaun at all and yes he is a fan and a reporter and he must keep the club on his side somewhat so won't overly upset the apple cart.

Hes been commentating on games since 1983 when GWR used to cover matches.

Demonstrably shown by our audrey the other day with Red Bull..
Absolutely this. there was zero substrance whatsoever other than a fan rumour on twitter/facebook etc etc thats started that pile of shit off.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Wednesday, February 6, 2019, 09:53:19 »

Seems I’m in a minority here, but I love the fact he’s been covering town for as long as he has (when did he start - early 90s, or even before then?). He loves the club - has dedicated a career to it -  and will be a hell of a lot better and more knowledgable than the [pick top 4 Premier League club] fan that one day replaces him.
+1 I like Shaun, I think he does a good job. He's not Paxman but that's not what local radio news reporters do, much less sports reporters. But this idea that he's some kind of filter preventing fans from having their say is bollocks. Too many keyboard warriors fronting up on Facebook but won't pick up the phone and ask "the questions we demand answers to" themselves.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 6, 2019, 09:55:57 by pauld » Logged
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Wednesday, February 6, 2019, 10:01:07 »

I think the story at Swansea City, just shows how demanding football fans are.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47137239

Swansea nearly went into non-league in 2003 playing at a dilapidated Vetch field. The change at that club since then is staggering. But now because they are 'struggling' in the Championship, their fans have more or less forced him out.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #322 on: Wednesday, February 6, 2019, 10:13:09 »

Too many keyboard warriors fronting up on Facebook all over the internet, but won't pick up the phone and ask "the questions we demand answers to" themselves.
Definately this, so many Billy Big Balls will shout their mouth off under the (fairly) anonymity of the internet yet don't have the balls to phone in and question themselves they just make excuses.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Wednesday, February 6, 2019, 10:16:33 »

But now because they are 'struggling' in the Championship, their fans have more or less forced him out.
TBF I think he has himself admitted in his resgination statement that he's been acting as a front man for decisions made by the new American owners that he also didn't agree with. The discontent was more around a perceived "sell-out" of his role as a fans' representative in the boardroom than their league position per se.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: Wednesday, February 6, 2019, 10:20:30 »

TBF I think he has himself admitted in his resgination statement that he's been acting as a front man for decisions made by the new American owners that he also didn't agree with. The discontent was more around a perceived "sell-out" of his role as a fans' representative in the boardroom than their league position per se.

Fair enough, to be honest I don't know a lot about Swansea but I do know they have had things a lot worse.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Wednesday, February 6, 2019, 10:36:07 »

Going to be interesting to see what happens there now Jenkins has gone, its been a bubbling shitshow for a while.... I fear it may become the archetypal 'careful what you wish for'.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Wednesday, February 6, 2019, 11:05:41 »

+1 I like Shaun, I think he does a good job. He's not Paxman but that's not what local radio news reporters do, much less sports reporters. But this idea that he's some kind of filter preventing fans from having their say is bollocks. Too many keyboard warriors fronting up on Facebook but won't pick up the phone and ask "the questions we demand answers to" themselves.

Can't get a punch in the face calling someone a twat from behind a keyboard. I'd love to transport some of the internet heroes back in time to the 80's or 90's. We'd soon see how their "important" opinions went then.
Flashheart

« Reply #327 on: Wednesday, February 6, 2019, 11:25:51 »

Can't get a punch in the face calling someone a twat from behind a keyboard.

I don't know, somebody's going to catch up with Kostiuk one day. I look forward to seeing the video of him online begging for forgiveness and claiming he was only joking.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: Wednesday, February 6, 2019, 11:40:12 »

I don't know, somebody's going to catch up with Kostiuk one day. I look forward to seeing the video of him online begging for forgiveness and claiming he was only joking.

Its all about the bantz though isn't it....
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Wednesday, February 6, 2019, 12:12:29 »

Think he's landlord at the Brunel in Chippenham, perhaps Power will go there for a drink one evening.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: