Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: RIP Danny Williams  (Read 11815 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Monday, February 4, 2019, 19:36:22 »

Absolute Swindon Town legend - should have a stand named after him really....first game I saw was a 5-0 against Charlton - I was hooked...such excitement...surprised to hear he was still alive..thanks for posting that he has passed on. Hero...happy days...

Danny had gone by then Fred Ford was in charge for that game.
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, February 5, 2019, 09:24:27 »

Danny had gone by then Fred Ford was in charge for that game.

Thanks Reg...I wasn`t aware as I was only about 10 years old - I have grown up convinced that was a Danny Williams team - how long had he been gone for and how old was he when he managed us?. I remember him looking quite old but of course I was only quite young..

Bathtime
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, February 5, 2019, 09:38:39 »

Thanks Reg...I wasn`t aware as I was only about 10 years old - I have grown up convinced that was a Danny Williams team - how long had he been gone for and how old was he when he managed us?. I remember him looking quite old but of course I was only quite young..

It more or less was Danny's team, only Arthur Horsfield had been brought in.  He went at the end of the 69 season, to Sheff Weds.  Danny woud have been about 44 then  so about 40 when he came to Town.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, February 5, 2019, 09:58:23 »

My memory is probably playing tricks on me, but I was under the impression that Danny Williams was caretaker manager for a little while after Bob Smith got sacked and before Trollope took over. As I say, it's probably my memory playing tricks on me as I have not seen it mentioned anywhere in his managerial record - I probably confused it at the time with him being General Manager.

Whatever, I only started supporting Town in 1979 so missed the cup glory by a long while and just missed out on seeing Danny as a manager, but every Town fan should be grateful to him and the 69 team for ensuring Swindon Town's place in the history books.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, February 5, 2019, 10:22:46 »

My memory is probably playing tricks on me, but I was under the impression that Danny Williams was caretaker manager for a little while after Bob Smith got sacked and before Trollope took over. As I say, it's probably my memory playing tricks on me as I have not seen it mentioned anywhere in his managerial record - I probably confused it at the time with him being General Manager.

Whatever, I only started supporting Town in 1979 so missed the cup glory by a long while and just missed out on seeing Danny as a manager, but every Town fan should be grateful to him and the 69 team for ensuring Swindon Town's place in the history books.
No I am pretty sure he was caretaker for a few weeks after Bob Smith left, taking on what they called "the firefighter" position.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: