Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fans phone in, Friday 6pm  (Read 80930 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2017, 19:39:19 »

POWER LOVER!!!!

The Mrs promised she wouldn't tell....

Ooooh, I see.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2017, 20:07:14 »

1) Why do we only appear to sign players who are unable to deal with the physical side of the game - Ince excepted.
2) Given the above and the the continued ineffectiveness of our midfield this season, why has Tom Smith not been given more of a go.
3) What message does this send to Smith, Young etc or any of our other youngsters who could do no worse than a lot of the existing players. When they play, they play ok. More experienced heads let them down so we bring in youngsters from other clubs on loan and they fall down the pecking order. Does that make sound commercial sense?
4) Why do people at the club continually talk about attacking football when it is the most boring, turgid in memory with very few opportunties to score
5) Why is there a clear lack of leadership both on and off the pitch. When things go wrong on the pitch, there is nobody to turn to.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2017, 20:12:49 »

I'm glad you asked 3. Guess its subjective and so they aren't considered good enough (though I disagree)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2017, 20:17:56 »

Are you serious about progressing the club or are you just using STFC as a showcase for young players you think you can make a profit from?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2017, 20:33:08 »

Missed this, Sherwood sort of speaks. ST renewals must be out next week Smiley

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/15063715.We_ve_tried_to_correct_recruitment_mistakes__admits_Town_director_of_football_Sherwood/?ref=mr&lp=3
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2017, 21:51:45 »

https://twitter.com/FootballManager/status/826771474929299457

Some of the replies here were mildly amusing.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, February 1, 2017, 21:57:57 »

https://twitter.com/FootballManager/status/826771474929299457

Some of the replies here were mildly amusing.
Superb
Panda Paws

« Reply #37 on: Thursday, February 2, 2017, 11:00:57 »

1) Why do we only appear to sign players who are unable to deal with the physical side of the game - Ince excepted.
2) Given the above and the the continued ineffectiveness of our midfield this season, why has Tom Smith not been given more of a go.
3) What message does this send to Smith, Young etc or any of our other youngsters who could do no worse than a lot of the existing players. When they play, they play ok. More experienced heads let them down so we bring in youngsters from other clubs on loan and they fall down the pecking order. Does that make sound commercial sense?
4) Why do people at the club continually talk about attacking football when it is the most boring, turgid in memory with very few opportunties to score
5) Why is there a clear lack of leadership both on and off the pitch. When things go wrong on the pitch, there is nobody to turn to.

All fair bar number 1. Norris, Jones, Thomas, Ince, Gladwin, JSW, Furlong, Dabo? - all signings this season off the top of my head that "can deal with physical side of the game".

This idea we only sign small, non-physical players is a myth. Plot your best XI and tell me how many can't cope physically.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, February 2, 2017, 11:07:59 »

A midfield 3 of Gladwin, Colkett, Goddard - which we have fielded recently - are not going to put a tackle in. Niggly trips and fouls, yes.

Hopefully, Ince will help rectify this, but it can't all be down to one player. The emphasis on passing at every opportunity seems to have morphed into a 'don't bother tackling, lads' philosophy.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, February 2, 2017, 11:13:10 »

All fair bar number 1. Norris, Jones, Thomas, Ince, Gladwin, JSW, Furlong, Dabo? - all signings this season off the top of my head that "can deal with physical side of the game".

This idea we only sign small, non-physical players is a myth. Plot your best XI and tell me how many can't cope physically.
Connor Thomas?? Physical?? Fuck me, I've heard it all now. Must be 6'2 & I've hardly seen him put a tackle in all season.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, February 2, 2017, 11:18:00 »

My question to him would be..

We hear a lot about how Mr Power has been a footballer and a businessman...but has he ever been a fan? What as a fan makes him excited to follow a football club?

chalkies_shorts

« Reply #41 on: Thursday, February 2, 2017, 11:59:01 »

I haven't got a clue what our best XI is at the moment. Out of your list though I recognised Ince as probably being able to deal with it, the others I would say not.
although Norris has played 30 odd games, I can't remember him putting in a decent tackle or intimidating his defender.
Jones is lightweight for a centre half. 
Thomas - lets not go there. You might want to retract that one.
Gladwin - good on the ball,  crap off it.
JSW - see Jones.
Furlong - see Jones and JSW
Dabo - possibly
Lets agree to disagree and maybe we have a different definition of physical. I regard it as being able to dish out a little bit and take it - most of our lot can't, hence I feel the need to sign some players that can to allow our "footballers" to play - protection if you like.
Panda Paws

« Reply #42 on: Thursday, February 2, 2017, 12:04:18 »

Lots of responses that we don't tackle enough. That's not what being able to cope physically means in my book, but appreciate I see things differently to most.

On the occasions I've seen Thomas, mostly at CB weirdly, he has seemed fine physically. And the only difference I see between Jones and Branco physically is Branco dives in more, because he needs to, because he's not as good. Jones is, I'd guess, quicker, stronger and an equal in the air.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, February 2, 2017, 12:26:28 »

Lots of responses that we don't tackle enough. That's not what being able to cope physically means in my book, but appreciate I see things differently to most.

On the occasions I've seen Thomas, mostly at CB weirdly, he has seemed fine physically. And the only difference I see between Jones and Branco physically is Branco dives in more, because he needs to, because he's not as good. Jones is, I'd guess, quicker, stronger and an equal in the air.

Tackling has largely disappeared from the game, as players dive on physical contact and fouls lead to cards etc.  So your physicality has to be demonstrated by getting in and around an opponent to be able to nick the ball....what in this day and age is called pressing. It requires high levels of fitness and strength, and of course sometimes it will go wrong and you foul.

It is this which our players lack. 

Thinking about games v Oxford I recall 92/93 season, which many rate as one of our finer seasons, we actually had a good number of crap performances, which is why gates were not much higher than now for many matches.  We got stuffed by Leicester and Derby 4-2 back to back..... fans felt that a midfield of Hazard, Moncur and Ling was a bit lightweight. Hoddle's reaction was to bring in Andy Gray on loan from Palace...he made his debut at the Manor, we won 1-0. Gray had that extra physicality that he could press the ball and then when winning it drive the team forward, it was quite a revelation.  Hodle didn't keep him for long, but Lingy sort of ended up doing the job....namely drive the team forward by running froim midfield.  It's something that Luongo used to do for us, but no-one since. Ben Gladwin can sort of do it, but he often looks a bit confused as to what he's meant to be doing....which is a coaching weakness, + the way his career has moved.

This is physicality, an ability to impose yourself on the opposition.... you don't need to be a gorilla but sometimes it helps.

It always amuses me when meeting players off the pitch, how puny they often are....unlike rugby players, who are often freaks.
Panda Paws

« Reply #44 on: Thursday, February 2, 2017, 12:40:59 »

Tackling has largely disappeared from the game, as players dive on physical contact and fouls lead to cards etc.  So your physicality has to be demonstrated by getting in and around an opponent to be able to nick the ball....what in this day and age is called pressing. It requires high levels of fitness and strength, and of course sometimes it will go wrong and you foul.

It is this which our players lack. 

Thinking about games v Oxford I recall 92/93 season, which many rate as one of our finer seasons, we actually had a good number of crap performances, which is why gates were not much higher than now for many matches.  We got stuffed by Leicester and Derby 4-2 back to back..... fans felt that a midfield of Hazard, Moncur and Ling was a bit lightweight. Hoddle's reaction was to bring in Andy Gray on loan from Palace...he made his debut at the Manor, we won 1-0. Gray had that extra physicality that he could press the ball and then when winning it drive the team forward, it was quite a revelation.  Hodle didn't keep him for long, but Lingy sort of ended up doing the job....namely drive the team forward by running froim midfield.  It's something that Luongo used to do for us, but no-one since. Ben Gladwin can sort of do it, but he often looks a bit confused as to what he's meant to be doing....which is a coaching weakness, + the way his career has moved.

This is physicality, an ability to impose yourself on the opposition.... you don't need to be a gorilla but sometimes it helps.

It always amuses me when meeting players off the pitch, how puny they often are....unlike rugby players, who are often freaks.

Agree with a lot of this, hence why I think Ince could be an excellent signing in there alongside Colkett.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: