Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Rochdale match day thread  (Read 34418 times)
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #120 on: Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 08:21:29 »

I can assure you that the pressure from you and any other "supporter" will not in the slightest effect what Luke Williams does with that side.

The game - sounds like Thomas was imperious again. Really impressed with him at AFCW. With Jones back and the switch to 451, we should see Branco down to 4th choice at last.

Get Doughty back in at 10, Murray alongside Kasim or Rodgers (or Thomas) at the base and Stewart back to provide another more direct option out wide and this can work...
Kind of disagree there. It's worked because there is energy in the middle with the youngsters so i would genuinely drop kasim for a bit,he slows us down. Doughty in Goddard role i agree with.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 08:42:24 »

Kind of disagree there. It's worked because there is energy in the middle with the youngsters so i would genuinely drop kasim for a bit,he slows us down. Doughty in Goddard role i agree with.

100% this.

As good as Kasim is, he doesn't fight for the ball. Smith was throwing everything in to win the ball back and that makes a huge difference in that area of the pitch.

Smith to start on Saturday. Bring Kasim on later
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 08:46:50 »

The team that has kept two clean sheets and collected 4 points deserves to start again at the weekend. Everyone else can wait.

Special mention by the way for Rogers who put in a brilliant free kick for Thompson to nod in.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 08:59:14 »

Quote from: Don Rogers Sock
kind of disagree there. It's worked because there is energy in the middle with the youngsters so i would genuinely drop kasim for a bit,he slows us down. Doughty in Goddard role i agree with.

yup!
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 09:05:17 »

The team that has kept two clean sheets and collected 4 points deserves to start again at the weekend. Everyone else can wait.

Special mention by the way for Rogers who put in a brilliant free kick for Thompson to nod in.

It was a smashing free kick but Rodgers only had a decent game because Smith & Murray were busting a bollock so he didn't have to.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 09:09:10 »

It was a smashing free kick but Rodgers only had a decent game because Smith & Murray were busting a bollock so he didn't have to.

Which is fine if that's their roles right? Xavi Hernandez wasn't exactly a big one for busting a bollock but Busquets did it for him so that worked. If you have a midfield three you can afford one of them being a bit more of a relaxed ball player, which is one of the reasons Kasim's always looked better in a three.

The argument for me is whether Kasim would do better in the Rogers role because I don't think you can play both. Delighted to see Smith getting a chance though.
Panda Paws

« Reply #126 on: Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 09:11:26 »

I agree to some extent, hence ultimately I'd play Murray in there to provide that energy. Away from home, as we saw at a very good AFCW (great away win for them last night), two strict holding players can work but at home, Murray in there would give that energy and mobility. It's where he played very effectively for Watford in the Championship too.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 09:28:18 by Panda Paws » Logged
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #127 on: Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 09:24:31 »

Which is fine if that's their roles right? Xavi Hernandez wasn't exactly a big one for busting a bollock but Busquets did it for him so that worked. If you have a midfield three you can afford one of them being a bit more of a relaxed ball player, which is one of the reasons Kasim's always looked better in a three.

The argument for me is whether Kasim would do better in the Rogers role because I don't think you can play both. Delighted to see Smith getting a chance though.

Think he probably meant that Rodgers was still rather wasteful last night and didn't chase his own mistakes. It worked because the other midfielders (and in fact a lot of the team) were giving plenty of chase.

Whilst it was a good performance, Rochdale were really bad which helped. I'm cautious as to what this one game could mean for our season Smiley
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 09:26:17 »

I agree to come extent, hence ultimately I'd play Murray in there to provide that energy. Away from home, as we saw at a very good AFCW (great away win for them last night), two strict holding players can work but at home, Murray in there would give that energy and mobility. It's where he played very effectively for Watford in the Championship too.

It's all about getting the balance right, so that the whole becomes greater than the sum of its parts. 3-5-2 or 4-5-1, has the problem of available personnel.

I'm not convinced that you can get away with Brad Barry and Brophy in a 4. We may find out Saturday, also there is little point in pairing Norris and Delfouneso up top, however ND and SJO might work.

As things stand Luke would be daft to revert to 3-5-2 for Saturday.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 09:31:04 »

It's all about getting the balance right, so that the whole becomes greater than the sum of its parts. 3-5-2 or 4-5-1, has the problem of available personnel.

I'm not convinced that you can get away with Brad Barry and Brophy in a 4. We may find out Saturday, also there is little point in pairing Norris and Delfouneso up top, however ND and SJO might work.

As things stand Luke would be daft to revert to 3-5-2 for Saturday.

Agree, going back to 3-5-2 would be a big mistake but I think Luke is smart enough to know you don't change a formula which is working. Not sure why he'd put Barry in ahead of Furlong at the moment either.

Also given Jon's injury rate atm I doubt we'll see him much this season.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 09:37:12 »

Agree, going back to 3-5-2 would be a big mistake but I think Luke is smart enough to know you don't change a formula which is working. Not sure why he'd put Barry in ahead of Furlong at the moment either.

Also given Jon's injury rate atm I doubt we'll see him much this season.

Furlong is suspended Sat, so Barry will come back in, his attacking play can be OK, but not a natural defender. SJO needs to be playing , so that he can get his move, either in the window or the summer, so may recover.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 09:42:48 »

still don't think he's suspended. where did that come from, BBC wilts or Williams?

fa have him, Barry and Thomas on 4, updated after last night.
Flashheart

« Reply #132 on: Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 09:45:17 »

Whilst it was a good performance, Rochdale were really bad which helped. I'm cautious as to what this one game could mean for our season Smiley

We may have just made them look bad.

I know what you mean though, it's too soon to say we've turned the corner and what not.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 09:48:27 »

still don't think he's suspended. where did that come from, BBC wilts or Williams?

fa have him, Barry and Thomas on 4, updated after last night.

Tweeted the club about this. I'm only counting 4. Chesterfield, Shrewsbury, Rovers and last night. He wasn't booked for QPR in the cup game against us.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 09:52:48 »

I guess rich and his abandoned games count theory is the only possible one, other then being wrong. perhaps the fa can't cope with that!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: