Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scunthorpe United Vs Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 38981 times)
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: Saturday, February 14, 2015, 23:49:38 »

Just an observation from an exiled fan.  Mark Cooper seems to be taking some criticism in this thread.  Every team has a poor period.  Perhaps this is ours?  Viewed overall, it seems we took a long time to give him any credit whatsoever, and we are quite quick to turn on him again.  In this promotion race we are, status and budget wise, the underdogs.  The fact we are in it at all is credit to the club and the manager.  I'd give him some slack.

Good post that and agree.
Just disappointed losing against such a poor side.
When Swift came on he was running rings around them.
Need to keep a more balanced side, only my opinion, but apart from that not that much wrong.
On to next week now.
Win next Saturday and normal service resumed.
Baggins

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Sunday, February 15, 2015, 00:05:46 »

Sounds reasonable, and I will always listen to those who go to the games.  Its been a few years since I was a regular.  My dad still goes every home game so I get a match report.  Cooper does seem to be one of those managers who gets a grudging respect, rather than wholesome praise.  From what my old man tells me, we play intelligent football, with good results (the last few notwithstanding) on a tiny budget. 

A few home wins coming up and who knows.  I know we've come close but I find promotion still hard to believe.  I had a season ticket from 1993 - 2008 until life took over too much, but the idea of us, now, in the championship has become a stretch too far for my mind.  If we don't make it, considering many had us down for relegation, let us remember this as a good season.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Sunday, February 15, 2015, 02:07:04 »

Just disappointed losing against such a poor side

Think you're being disrespectful to Scunny...it's a simple game, they wanted it more so prevailed...it happens
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Sunday, February 15, 2015, 07:39:16 »

Think you're being disrespectful to Scunny...it's a simple game, they wanted it more so prevailed...it happens
I wouldn't say they wanted it more, we were just sloppy and they capitalised. On another day we would have scored a few and probably won but need to cut out errors at the back
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Sunday, February 15, 2015, 07:50:08 »

player is practically inaudible.fucking uselesd

Where I live I can JUST get it on the radio (in the car)...

Is it me, or does the BBC Wiltshire Commentator seem to get stupidly excited everytime the opposition either attack or score? Are they an Oxford fan?

Roaming the land while you sleep..
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Sunday, February 15, 2015, 09:04:04 »

Agreed. We shouldn't go all 'Charlie Big Time' as we've criticized fans of Forest/Wednesday/Blades/Leeds etc etc of doing over the years. Scunny would argue they deserved the win and it is hard to argue against that.

HOWEVER. We should have had that game killed off and wrapped up early in the second half. We have the ability to have done that by taking our chances at one end and then closing out at the other. What makes me want to scream is that the only thing stopping this team going up is themselves.

We dodged a bullet yesterday with the other two slipping up as well. Let's hope that Cooper can sort them out because to be honest, there isn't that much that needs sorting but it's enough to stop us going up.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Sunday, February 15, 2015, 09:22:34 »

Think you're being disrespectful to Scunny...

I don't.  There's a lot I liked about their set up.  The ground was nice & compact (even if it was a pain to get out of afterwards), and all three of the home stands made some noise.  Decent set of fans.

But - and there is a but - there was nothing in that Scunthorpe side that we should have been fazed by or scared of.  During the first half, the prevailing feeling among our fans was that we could not understand why we were not taking the game to them more.  They offered so little.  They were ordinary.  They opened our defence up more often than I would have liked, but the resulting efforts from their forwards were abysmal.  Had we been firing as we know we can, we could easily have been 3 goals up at half time.  Instead, we went in 1-0 and then let the wheels fall off in the second half.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Sunday, February 15, 2015, 09:26:33 »

I wouldn't say they wanted it more, we were just sloppy and they capitalised. On another day we would have scored a few and probably won but need to cut out errors at the back
As we did last week but Barnsley didn't capitalise!
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: Sunday, February 15, 2015, 09:59:35 »

I don't.  There's a lot I liked about their set up.  The ground was nice & compact (even if it was a pain to get out of afterwards), and all three of the home stands made some noise.  Decent set of fans.

But - and there is a but - there was nothing in that Scunthorpe side that we should have been fazed by or scared of.  During the first half, the prevailing feeling among our fans was that we could not understand why we were not taking the game to them more.  They offered so little.  They were ordinary.  They opened our defence up more often than I would have liked, but the resulting efforts from their forwards were abysmal.  Had we been firing as we know we can, we could easily have been 3 goals up at half time.  Instead, we went in 1-0 and then let the wheels fall off in the second half.
We presented them with an opportunity which they took. We should never have presented that opportunity to them. That was the problem. (I'm agreeing with you BTW  Wink)

Reg, you say they wanted it more but that's not true. Our boys wanted it plenty, believe me. Their failure was not applying themselves in key areas of the pitch at key points in the game.

Re. Getting out of the car park. When you're 3-1 down with 2 minutes of normal time to go and it's just not happening - sneak out - we got out of there in no time. I'd recommend it  Cool

« Last Edit: Sunday, February 15, 2015, 10:01:29 by OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Sunday, February 15, 2015, 10:15:39 »

Quote from: DarloSTFC84
Is it me, or does the BBC Wiltshire Commentator seem to get stupidly excited everytime the opposition either attack or score? Are they an Oxford fan?

now not just you, I posted similar back in the thread somewhere.

but that's secondary to not being able to work out what the hell is going on half the time. they replayed the goals from the 3-3 the other year, presumably it was Hadwin commentating, it was like a breath of fresh air with clear descriptive commentary that left no doubt what was happening.

in fact, while it's arguable local radio has always been this, BBC wilts in general seems to be going down the same shithole as the Adver these days. used to listen to the breakfast show on the drive to work to pick up the sport and local news. it's become so bland it makes James blunt look edgy. Now they've booted out Mark O'Donnell too.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: Sunday, February 15, 2015, 10:19:44 »

now not just you, I posted similar back in the thread somewhere.

but that's secondary to not being able to work out what the hell is going on half the time. they replayed the goals from the 3-3 the other year, presumably it was Hadwin commentating, it was like a breath of fresh air with clear descriptive commentary that left no doubt what was happening.

in fact, while it's arguable local radio has always been this, BBC wilts in general seems to be going down the same shithole as the Adver these days. used to listen to the breakfast show on the drive to work to pick up the sport and local news. it's become so bland it makes James blunt look edgy. Now they've booted out Mark O'Donnell too.

Bring back Vic Morgan, I say.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: Sunday, February 15, 2015, 10:20:40 »

What happened with O'Donnell? He used to be great with the half time ska and stuff, the only time I can ever remember paying the slightest attention at half time. And he used to call out some of the dumber texts.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: Sunday, February 15, 2015, 10:27:22 »

he got moved for continuity reasons iirc, the regular sports link got moved back.

as for his Saturday morning show this is an alleged response (taken from fb) when someone asked why it was being axed:

..emailed station manager..told him the station was in danger of becoming like heart..his response..'marks programme is too intellectual for this demographic'..how insulting
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: Sunday, February 15, 2015, 10:29:27 »

I don't.  There's a lot I liked about their set up.  The ground was nice & compact (even if it was a pain to get out of afterwards), and all three of the home stands made some noise.  Decent set of fans.

But - and there is a but - there was nothing in that Scunthorpe side that we should have been fazed by or scared of.  During the first half, the prevailing feeling among our fans was that we could not understand why we were not taking the game to them more.  They offered so little.  They were ordinary.  They opened our defence up more often than I would have liked, but the resulting efforts from their forwards were abysmal.  Had we been firing as we know we can, we could easily have been 3 goals up at half time.  Instead, we went in 1-0 and then let the wheels fall off in the second half.

Exactly this. Not being disrespectful to Scunny in the slightest.
That was a game that should have been wrapped up in 45 minutes.
They simply were there for the taking a 3 points were gifted.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Sunday, February 15, 2015, 11:10:37 »

We presented them with an opportunity which they took. We should never have presented that opportunity to them. That was the problem. (I'm agreeing with you BTW  Wink)

Reg, you say they wanted it more but that's not true. Our boys wanted it plenty, believe me. Their failure was not applying themselves in key areas of the pitch at key points in the game.

Re. Getting out of the car park. When you're 3-1 down with 2 minutes of normal time to go and it's just not happening - sneak out - we got out of there in no time. I'd recommend it  Cool

Wanting it more, doesn't imply that our lot weren't trying....just that the Scunny lads, had that bit of extra hunger....there's really next to no difference, between an outfit like us and Scunny.

Scunny are now fringe PO side, with a couple of games in hand....after a wretched start to the season.

As for presenting it to them....again disrespectful.  We know someone like Madden can finish....the boy Hopper has just had 4 in 4, their game plan, work hard close us down, and there will be chances.....it's what we do.

Nowt wrong with it, I'm all for it, but it means we're from from invincible.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: