Pages: 1 ... 396 397 398 [399] 400 401 402 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1995821 times)
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #5970 on: Saturday, May 4, 2019, 03:18:54 »

Labour's biggest problem isn't their stance on Brexit, it's their leader. When Corbyn won the leadership it was like a breath of fresh air, but that has unfortunately turned out to be a slight waft which has now disappeared. You only have to look on social media to see how Corbyn is viewed by many (views which have, to a large part, been fed by Right wing media bias).
The Tories must love having an opposition that is led by someone who a large number of people find unelectable.

It's All Good..............
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #5971 on: Friday, May 10, 2019, 16:43:02 »

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/17627227.what-went-wrong-with-the-highworth-town-council-vote-and-where-do-we-go-from-here/

Deep state corruption in highworth as Tory party awarded 10x more votes than they earned

Things get better but they never get good
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #5972 on: Thursday, May 16, 2019, 18:04:56 »

Interesting article

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/majority-of-europeans-expect-end-of-eu-within-20-years/ar-AABpN0H?ocid=spartandhp
Sir red ken

« Reply #5973 on: Thursday, May 16, 2019, 18:26:12 »

Lets hope its sooner than that for the UK. Otherwise being the age I am, I might never know what it feels to be a free English man before my days are over. It was great as a young man, not being a eu slave but then we werelied to about the ec. Most young people don't undestand freedom never having experienced it. They can't wait another 20 years, they need it now.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5974 on: Thursday, May 16, 2019, 18:53:07 »

Most young people don't undestand freedom never having experienced it. They can't wait another 20 years, they need it now.

A lot of young people are more concerned that the top scientific prognosis on climate change is that we've 12 years to do something about reversing present warming trends before it becomes irreversible.... I assume as someone who obviously cares about the world our young people are going to inherit, "you're doing your bit"  rather than following the Faragist line, well we only produce 2% of CO2 emissions, so no point in bothering.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #5975 on: Thursday, May 16, 2019, 21:32:41 »

A lot of young people are more concerned that the top scientific prognosis on climate change is that we've 12 years to do something about reversing present warming trends before it becomes irreversible.... I assume as someone who obviously cares about the world our young people are going to inherit, "you're doing your bit"  rather than following the Faragist line, well we only produce 2% of CO2 emissions, so no point in bothering.

A lot of young people are more concerned that the top scientific prognosis on climate change is that we've 12 years to do something about reversing present warming trends before it becomes irreversible.... are you 100% sure? If so quantify ‘a lot’ please after all a lot is rather ambiguous.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5976 on: Friday, May 17, 2019, 06:59:32 »

A lot of young people are more concerned that the top scientific prognosis on climate change is that we've 12 years to do something about reversing present warming trends before it becomes irreversible.... are you 100% sure? If so quantify ‘a lot’ please after all a lot is rather ambiguous.

1.4 million for the school strikes globally back in early April....
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #5977 on: Friday, May 17, 2019, 07:39:22 »

With the Tory leadership race underway, my concern is that the party membership concludes that only a figure like Rees-Mogg or Johnson would have the profile to tease your average Daily Mail/Daily Express reader back from their current crush on the Brexit party.  Farage succeeded in getting the Tories to move to the right in 2016, and I would not be at all surprised if he does it again now.

The new leader, whoever they are, will no doubt spout the usual bollocks about 'bringing the country together'.  But I suspect that any new leader elected by Tory members/MPs is inevitably going to be a 'Marmite' figure across the country as a whole.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #5978 on: Friday, May 17, 2019, 08:00:16 »

I'd be more interested in a Labour leadership contest. Virtually any Tory leader will beat Corbyn. If Labour were under a more centrist leadership and front bench they'd be in power. They need to purge momentum and the front bench. Corbyn is the Tories greatest strength.
Aren't all politicians marmite.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5979 on: Friday, May 17, 2019, 08:01:18 »

With the Tory leadership race underway, my concern is that the party membership concludes that only a figure like Rees-Mogg or Johnson would have the profile to tease your average Daily Mail/Daily Express reader back from their current crush on the Brexit party.  Farage succeeded in getting the Tories to move to the right in 2016, and I would not be at all surprised if he does it again now.

The new leader, whoever they are, will no doubt spout the usual bollocks about 'bringing the country together'.  But I suspect that any new leader elected by Tory members/MPs is inevitably going to be a 'Marmite' figure across the country as a whole.

If it's anything like the last one, then it won't get as far as the membership... my guess is that it will be an outsider, someone without baggage, probably not a woman this time... if a betting man my euro would be on Matt Hancock.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5980 on: Friday, May 17, 2019, 08:15:23 »

I'd be more interested in a Labour leadership contest. Virtually any Tory leader will beat Corbyn. If Labour were under a more centrist leadership and front bench they'd be in power. They need to purge momentum and the front bench. Corbyn is the Tories greatest strength.

We had one relatively recently..... the centrist candidate Owen Smith, was beaten. Corbyn then achieved a 9% swing to Labour in 2017.  Not enough to form a government, but enough to stall the worst excesses of the Tory administration.  So we start to see little victories, like the Probabtion Service being re-nationalised, after Grayling's privatisiation, led to the predicted spiralling costs and chaos in the Service.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #5981 on: Friday, May 17, 2019, 08:30:22 »

Funnily enough, I think that Corbyn already has his legacy.  His policy of constructive ambiguity on Brexit in 2017 was sufficient to ruin May's election gamble that year.  And while he didn't win the election, he did enough to blunt the Tories' hard Brexit charge by relieving them of their majority.

Having done this, I can't see him achieving a lot else besides.  Constructive ambiguity served its purpose 2 yrs ago, but isn't working any more.  He must see that he's running out of road, and still would not be particularly surprised to see a change of tack on Brexit from Labour, even at this late stage.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #5982 on: Friday, May 17, 2019, 09:26:26 »

If it's anything like the last one, then it won't get as far as the membership... my guess is that it will be an outsider, someone without baggage, probably not a woman this time... if a betting man my euro would be on Matt Hancock.

I would be inclined to agree on Hatt Mancock, the other dark horse is probably Rory the Tory? The downside of both is that they are both remain voting MP's which will put off most of the shires faithful who consider that they had theiir fingers burnt with May not being hard line enough.

The question is who is likely to get through to a membership vote, I cannot see the PCP letting Johnson or Rees-Mogg get that far as they appear to be fairly loathed by a lot of their colleagues, anyone like Loathsome and McVey would be an inept as Corbyn whilst Hunt has a lot of baggage.

jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #5983 on: Friday, May 17, 2019, 10:03:00 »

Tony Blair?
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #5984 on: Saturday, May 18, 2019, 21:33:02 »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7045141/Labour-MP-spy-Czechs-Party-grandee-issues-denial-archives-claim-passed-intelligence.html

Know anything about this Comrade Smeeton?
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 398 [399] 400 401 402 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: