Pages: 1 ... 393 394 395 [396] 397 398 399 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2005051 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #5925 on: Thursday, May 2, 2019, 10:30:20 »

I've never known such a low key local election... I guess it's to be expected.

I suppsoe so, there is so little choice really...

One party pursuing policies that they know fucks up much of the economy and causes social division;
One party dogmatically facilitating same whilst claiming not to;
One party that no one will vote for because of actions 9 years ago by a leader who is no longer in the party who have a new leader who never says anything and everyone knows is retiring soon;
Some unashamed racists;
Some tree huggers that no one takes seriously;

Politics in this country in a busted flush and I have no idea what if anything can revitalise it.

Thankfully I don't have to make a decision this year apart from the Euro ones.... Which polling seems to suggest will mainly see a big shift from the racists to the slightly less obviously racists so I suppose that's a start...
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #5926 on: Thursday, May 2, 2019, 10:54:11 »

I only got leafleted/doorstepped by the red lot and the blue lot for the one Borough Council seat in my ward.  But, when I got to the polling station, I found 3 other candidates (the purple lot, the yellow lot and the green lot) on the ballot paper who I hadn't heard of/from. If they can't be arsed, why should I or anyone else be?

For the four Parish Council seats, the only choice was red or blue!

And we've still got the Euro election to look forward to.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #5927 on: Thursday, May 2, 2019, 10:56:08 »

This is quite interesting to read, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-48122911

So the report suggests that to get to nearly zero emissions by 2050 is possible and is estimated to reduce GDP by c. 1-2%, to put that in context a report in April estimated that Brexit has cost the UK economy 2.4% of its GDP, based on a comparison with its growth before the 2016 referendum?

Also the report seems to suggest that the actions of Miss Thunberg and others have made some difference, despite the disdain of many?
Flashheart

« Reply #5928 on: Thursday, May 2, 2019, 10:59:56 »

Also the report seems to suggest that the actions of Miss Thunberg and others have made some difference, despite the disdain of many?

Fair play to them, and may they continue to ensure promises are kept.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5929 on: Thursday, May 2, 2019, 11:13:51 »

This is quite interesting to read, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-48122911

So the report suggests that to get to nearly zero emissions by 2050 is possible and is estimated to reduce GDP by c. 1-2%, to put that in context a report in April estimated that Brexit has cost the UK economy 2.4% of its GDP, based on a comparison with its growth before the 2016 referendum?

The problem is that although Extinction Rebellion etc has raised awareness of the problems facing the planet, and people are prepared to accept "something needs to be done"  they assume that something will be done for them, rather than by them.

This closed mind approach is exacerbated by the oft heard argument, Extinction Rebellion should go and protest in China and see how they'll get on there.... I'll carry on driving my 2 cars thank you very much.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #5930 on: Thursday, May 2, 2019, 11:23:09 »

Think globally act locally!

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #5931 on: Friday, May 3, 2019, 05:52:31 »

It was not the best night for Reg’s mob was it  Hmmm
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5932 on: Friday, May 3, 2019, 06:40:42 »

the  Tory council majority increases after Labour losses PENHILL to the Cons.

wtf.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #5933 on: Friday, May 3, 2019, 07:16:18 »

Two party politics is dead. The future of UK parliaments will be on a European scale of mish mash fringe parties and nut jobs.

Surely we have a comedian who could ruffle a few feathers like that Italian(?) fella
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #5934 on: Friday, May 3, 2019, 07:20:34 »

the  Tory council majority increases after Labour losses PENHILL to the Cons.

wtf.

Penhill and Stratton. One ward

Low turnouts all over

Ignore
« Reply #5935 on: Friday, May 3, 2019, 08:06:50 »

the  Tory council majority increases after Labour losses PENHILL to the Cons.

wtf.

Existing Labour councillor stood as an independent. This split the vote between her and the Labour candidate allowing the Tory to win.

I'm more dumfounded that people will vote for people like Nick Martin and Dale Heenan considering their list of shame. This is regardless of the party they represent. As individuals they are both complete arseholes.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5936 on: Friday, May 3, 2019, 08:16:17 »

It was not the best night for Reg’s mob was it  Hmmm

Certainly not one of the better nights, but not wholly unexpected. When the full results are in, will be interesting to see if anything much can be deduced from them  Hmmm
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #5937 on: Friday, May 3, 2019, 08:24:09 »

Jess Phillips is right.  Corbyn/McDonnell still trying to face both ways on Brexit is killing Labour.  For the main opposition party to perform as poorly as that 9 years after last leaving office should really set the alarm bells ringing.

Time to get off the fence.  (They won't get off the fence.)
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #5938 on: Friday, May 3, 2019, 08:33:38 »

Jess Phillips is right.  Corbyn/McDonnell still trying to face both ways on Brexit is killing Labour.  For the main opposition party to perform as poorly as that 9 years after last leaving office should really set the alarm bells ringing.

Time to get off the fence.  (They won't get off the fence.)

The peculiar thing is that they have lost seats badly in hard leave places like Sunderland and Hartlepool, which suggests that the fence sitting is not as necessary as magic grandpa and his pals would like the faithful to think.

No doubt as in the election of 2017 it will be spun as a win, I see that despite the only parties making big gains are the Greens and Lib Dems (who might have something in common), the BBC continue to report that the Tory losses are in some way related to them not getting on with Brexit or being hard enough.....
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #5939 on: Friday, May 3, 2019, 08:43:00 »

The peculiar thing is that they have lost seats badly in hard leave places like Sunderland and Hartlepool, which suggests that the fence sitting is not as necessary as magic grandpa and his pals would like the faithful to think.

No doubt as in the election of 2017 it will be spun as a win, I see that despite the only parties making big gains are the Greens and Lib Dems (who might have something in common), the BBC continue to report that the Tory losses are in some way related to them not getting on with Brexit or being hard enough.....

Nicola Sturgeon put it very well (and with characteristic pith):

If the message Labour takes from English local elections is that they should now be the facilitator of a Tory Brexit, I suspect their troubles will just be beginning.
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 395 [396] 397 398 399 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: