Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scottish Independence  (Read 58821 times)
iffy

« Reply #165 on: Monday, September 8, 2014, 15:49:26 »

That could be deemed a typical unionist response and part of the reason this huge swing has occurred. It's very logical but based on the negative, thus missing the real point of independence. A lot of Scots are just sick of being run by Tory governments they didn't, in their minds, vote in. I think you'd be surprised what sacrifices they are willing to make in order to make that intangible split.

I agree. This is the problem with the terms of the independence debate. Nationalist politicians promise a totally unaffordable, unrealistic, impossible to achieve Land of Milk and Honey and they are called romantics, rather than bullshitters.

The 'no' camp suggests a few practical, broadly popular and affordable measures (Devo Max, basically) and they are the ones being called cynics.

It's amazing. Westminster is knee-deep in Scots and they have the gall to suggest it's not their government. The Scots are the most effective regional bloc in Westminster. This cabinet has fewer Scots than any in recent memory, but where do they think Michael Gove is from?
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Monday, September 8, 2014, 16:01:23 »

where do they think Michael Gove is from?

Hmmm Alpha Centauri? I give up.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Monday, September 8, 2014, 16:05:32 »

Hmmm Alpha Centauri? I give up.

Good call, but I've got him down as from Talos IV

Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Monday, September 8, 2014, 17:59:11 »

I think Talos IV may have shagged a Thunderbird.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Monday, September 8, 2014, 18:43:52 »

The general consensus from YES voters, are that they simply want a Scottish government that they vote for, that decide policies for the people of Scotland, Westminster, to them, is full of rich Tory boys that they don't vote for etc etc. They say they are voting yes for a fairer Scotland for Scots.

If it wasn't for the Scottish MP's, the Tories would've had a majority at the last election, instead of the coalition we have now, yet you haven't has the English demanding independence, especially when you've had the issue at Westminster with Scottish MP's voting on English issues.

Also, prior to Cameron taking office, we had 13 years of a Scot being PM (Blair was born in Scotland), and numberous Scots in cabinet positions. Yet, they're still not happy.

They get a lot bigger spend per person due to the Barnett formula, which has paid for free prescriptions, university fees and care for OAP's.

And if it wasn't for the English taxpayers, their two main banks (RBS and BoS) would've gone to the wall.

And yet the Scots don't think they've had a fair deal !!!

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Monday, September 8, 2014, 19:17:47 »

what will be the point of Norn Ireland if the Scots secede? 
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Monday, September 8, 2014, 19:41:35 »

what will be the point of Norn Ireland if the Scots secede? 

You could say exactly that about the Welsh. I personally thought it was only a matter of time when they started to devolve parts of govenment to both the Welsh and the Scots under Blair...because it's just a matter of time that they will want more and more power, and Salmond wants all the power he can get.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
kerry red

« Reply #172 on: Monday, September 8, 2014, 19:43:50 »

I still maintain my 'fuck 'em' comment sums it all up perfectly
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Monday, September 8, 2014, 22:36:09 »

Meh to it,  and I have Scottish blood. Can't help but think that it's gonna go tits up for them, your choice residents of Scotland,  good luck  Smiley
REDBUCK

« Reply #174 on: Tuesday, September 9, 2014, 07:33:00 »

I suspect they'll vote yes and them end up with a coalition come the 2015 elections
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Tuesday, September 9, 2014, 09:49:07 »

Maybe someone has already posted the answer but who will end up paying for this divorce...? I am sort of presuming it will be us English tax payers....which has to be the most unjust method especially as we have had no mandate.....going to cost a fortune....... Yes

Bathtime
iffy

« Reply #176 on: Tuesday, September 9, 2014, 10:47:00 »

Maybe someone has already posted the answer but who will end up paying for this divorce...? I am sort of presuming it will be us English tax payers....which has to be the most unjust method especially as we have had no mandate.....going to cost a fortune....... Yes

You will being pay for it. Perhaps not all of it, but enough of it to hurt.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Tuesday, September 9, 2014, 11:00:58 »

It rather depends how the negotiations transpire....as there must be umpteen things that will need sorting.  Take for example something close to my heart the Ordnance Survey....now the Sweaties will argue, that although it is based in Soton, the OS is as much theirs as the rest of GB (doesn't operate in NI)

So they will be entitled to a cut of the resources, in order to set up their own cartography establishment should they choose, or they might think.....maps, out dated, we'll just rely on Google....alternatively, just buy into the OS to maintain the present system.

Inevitably there will be a cost to the rest of the UK, but given the massive population difference, that will fall less heavily on individual tax payer, than the individual tax payer in the new country...where I think they accept they're in for a short term hit, but hope for a long term gain.

Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Tuesday, September 9, 2014, 11:23:47 »

There's another interesting factor in this - and that is that Scotland (in the event of a Yes vote) will have voted unilaterally to leave the UK.  And that is an entirely different scenario to one in which the whole of the UK had a vote, and everyone on both sides of the English/Scottish border mutually agreed to an amicable separation.  There will be approx 62 million UK residents who will not have actively voted for the break-up of the country they live in; and approx 2 million voters who will have.

A likely response from a good proportion of the 62 million who won’t have voted yes, around 95% of whom would live outside Scotland, would be 'Why should I pay for any of this?  I didn’t ask for it.  If you want to separate, Scotland, fine - but you can pay the costs of separation.'

Inevitably, there will be costs that the Continuing UK will have to foot.  But there would be very little appetite in the Continuing UK to pay for any more of those costs than is absolutely necessary or unavoidable.  Resentment against Scotland would be significant due to the disruption caused, and politicians on this side of the border would be obliged to take a very tough line in negotiations.

Animosity on both sides would probably build fairly quickly and the cordial relationship that currently exists would not last long.  Very sad.  But that’s the reality of separation.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Tuesday, September 9, 2014, 11:51:48 »

Stick a few more courses on Hadrians wall. Job done. Forget about the rest of the hoo ha, bored with it.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: