Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scottish Independence  (Read 58850 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 11:57:21 »

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/independent-scotland-to-blame-cats-2013020658754
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 12:14:00 »

Audrey, there will be a massive jobs boost south of the border.  Standard Life has just confirmed that it has contingencies in place including transferring its business for non-Scottish clients to England.  Would involve an awful lot of jobs...

Not only that you've got companies that say that if there is a Yes vote, prices will have to rise in Scotland due to uncertainty with everything. Salmond certainly hasn't got an answer to that.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
ExiledEric

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 12:54:52 »

Some words from one of my best mates who is an Edinburgh based investment manager...

"I didn’t sleep last night worrying about it. I have told Debs to be prepared to move. I find it difficult to control my anger that I even have to consider this. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a major backlash from an upset group of voters.

He has set Scots against Westminster, Scots against Tory, Scots against England and “Those who have not” against “Those who have” and families against each other.

Scotland will get royally stuffed in the separation agreement. And who will get hurt? Not the educated middle class who can find work, are mobile but the poor who he has lied to win their support. "

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 13:36:30 »

Some words from one of my best mates who is an Edinburgh based investment manager...

"I didn’t sleep last night worrying about it. I have told Debs to be prepared to move. I find it difficult to control my anger that I even have to consider this. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a major backlash from an upset group of voters.

He has set Scots against Westminster, Scots against Tory, Scots against England and “Those who have not” against “Those who have” and families against each other.

Scotland will get royally stuffed in the separation agreement. And who will get hurt? Not the educated middle class who can find work, are mobile but the poor who he has lied to win their support. "

This does seem to back up the concern I raised earlier that whatever the outcome there is going to be disquiet and a large disenfranchised population following the election. I just hope that they handle these splits better than other nations have when the debate between nationalism and unionism has become messy!
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 14:06:08 »

I think I read recently that of the financial institutions based in Scotland, some 90% of their business is done with non-Scottish residents i.e. the rest of the UK.

In the event of a 'Yes' outcome, most of the Edinburgh financial district would just pack up and head south, or at least align their registered headquarters south of the border.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 14:09:20 »

What does Salmond say when these factors are mentioned?
Has he outlined how Scotland will actually benefit from independence? 
« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 14:15:23 by 4D » Logged
kerry red

« Reply #201 on: Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 14:17:26 »

Should make for a somewhat fiery encounter when England visit Glasgow to play the Sweaties in a couple of months
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 14:17:42 »

What does Salmond say when these factors are mentioned?

He calls bullshit....which is largely fair enough. Most of these companies said they'd up sticks when the Sweatie parliament was formed....and didn't.

His plan is to use lower tax rates for companies to attract in investment from multi-nationals of which there are many based in England, quite happy to chase the $.

He's also said Scotland needs sizable immigration to make it viable.....one of the issues which will lead to trouble about borders.  It may well be that Scotland will become more attractive to live in than England.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 14:42:49 »

I presume that all the Scots will be returning their British passports in favour of the non existent Scottish one.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 14:50:57 »

I presume that all the Scots will be returning their British passports in favour of the non existent Scottish one.

If you look at your passport, you may notice the first reference is to the European Union....this will be where Scotland's problems will be to start with.
kerry red

« Reply #205 on: Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 14:51:29 »

They can have Fatty Evans back.

And will Jock players need to get a work permit to play in England a la Carlos Kickaball?
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 15:18:33 »

They can have Fatty Evans back.

And will Jock players need to get a work permit to play in England a la Carlos Kickaball?

Funnily enough I was thinking the same thing earlier.

BAZINGA !!

Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 15:19:42 »

His plan is to use lower tax rates for companies to attract in investment from multi-nationals of which there are many based in England, quite happy to chase the $.

Is Salmond now planning on using the dollar now, like other tinpot nations?  Smiley

BAZINGA !!

dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 16:22:36 »

Spend on services doesn't directly impact on Joe public's pocket though Lumpy, chalkies example does.

Then voters in the rest of Britain need to elect a Government that prioritises spending on education in the way the Scots did.

Chalkie was trying to make the point that Scots get an unfair share of the public purse and therefore can afford to hand out free prescriptions and tuition fee free higher education.

I'm just pointing out that actually, he assuming he lives in Swindon, has an even higher share of public spending spent on him than the average Scot. It's not Jock McTavish's fault that Chalkie's elected representatives choose to spend it on, well who the hell knows, but not supporting HE students.

..never go back.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 16:25:23 »

The Sweaties want to join NATO, and enjoy the security it brings, but want the removal of Trident, which is somewhat at odds with NATO policy....they also want to retain the names of Scottish regiments, for use in their domestic defence forces.

If they are permitted to join NATO, then doubtless deals will be done about the retention of some NATO (ie UK bases) on Sweatie soil....but from the military establishment point of view this will be a crushing defeat.

Scots are way over represented in the British Army, and doubtless many NO voters are from this tradition, so I'd imagine it highly likely there will new regiments formed, like the Gurkha regiments, which allow foreign nationals to fight in the British Army.

How is this a contradiction? 25  of the 28 NATO members have no nuclear weapons. Only France and the UK in Europe are nuclear powers. Scotland would be in the overwhelming majority.

..never go back.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: