Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lee Power  (Read 112154 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #720 on: Tuesday, December 3, 2013, 19:36:24 »

That isn't a reference to anything I know he has said. Only that he says things he shouldn't, apparently, in the pub (I stress, apparently!) and that some on here have spoken of Cardiff style rebranding. Perhaps a good illustration on a rumour starting unintentionally....

Smiley Its OK, I've only posted it as fact on thisis, twitter and facebook (not really).
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #721 on: Tuesday, December 3, 2013, 20:09:19 »

So we all love Power now then. 1 statement, written by someone else, and he's back in the good books.
Oh fuck off. People have just said (quite reasonably) that the two statements from the two shows a marked contrast in their approaches and beyond that they're prepared to give Power a chance. Nothing wrong with that is there?

Not just you but I'm sick of this "all or nothing" approach - there's such a thing as shades of grey. Or not especially trusting/liking any of the various factions but being prepared to acknowledge when someone's got something right (or ballsed up).

Nice statement, changes nothing, like any of them, judge them on their actions not their words.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, December 3, 2013, 20:14:20 by pauld » Logged
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #722 on: Tuesday, December 3, 2013, 20:12:31 »

Whilst I think it would on balance be a good idea for the Trust to own 40% of the club, when there's a cashflow crisis and the club needs £250k, where do the Trust get their share of that from? Just curious to understand how that would work if there are any Trust bods online.

We've been discussing different scenarios at board meetings lately as part of our SAFE aims, which is on our website (with E standing for Emergency planning). I suppose we could have a fund like the RAF with money ready, or like Pompey, whose donations that were pledged to buy the club only kicked in when they were given the go ahead.

We've got a board meeting on Thursday night, so undoubtedly, what has happened in the last few days will be discussed.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #723 on: Tuesday, December 3, 2013, 20:18:41 »

Absolutely thrilled the wide boy has left stfc. That statement off his is a disgrace. He should be ashamed of that.

Not convinced by power at all, but will see what he has to say and how he conducts himself before judging.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #724 on: Tuesday, December 3, 2013, 20:23:25 »

We had a group of 'nice chaps' who got the club into a healthy position and then totally self-destructed it within a few years. This is the problem with relying on investors. Lee Power could be someone with a very good history of running successful and highly profitable business, sports clubs and even football clubs. But our situation here means if we have to rely on cash injections every few months we're going to be fucked again before too long.

The playing setup is decent and I like the loan players we have got in. It's benefited us. We certainly don't look like the relegation material a significant proportion of the fan base was expecting before we'd even kicked off the season. So credit to Lee Power for this.

Many moaned that we had to try not to spend beyond our means, as if the club had the right to be an eternal charity case because they'd been watching them for 30 years and we 'are a Championship standard club.' I really hope we somehow do manage to get to that break even position and stick there. We can't rely on a benefactor.

Same with Mark Cooper - the fuckwits who moaned about him being the cheap option, that he's being mind controlled by Lee Power. If he doesn't get the tactics and performances exactly to Lee's liking he's punished by having to collect the cones himself then stand in front of the youth team whilst they give him stingers.

My biggest fear about Lee Power's involvement is that we end up renting a soulless out-of-town stadium from his known (previous?) associates. An even bigger fear is that we're relocating to the City of Salford, bit of a trek to get there for every home game.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #725 on: Tuesday, December 3, 2013, 20:26:16 »

And am I the only person who thinks of the below when I hear/read the term 'SAFE aims'?

Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #726 on: Tuesday, December 3, 2013, 20:59:47 »

Just caught up with the day's play...

[BREAK]

...may that continue.

Now, for the football.

ps just unfollowed McCrory/McCoy. It's like a timeline detox. Highly recommended.

Top post, that.  And it seems a few others have had the same idea on Twitter.  I noticed that Jed had precisely 4,000 followers when I looked at his profile earlier today.  He now has 3,994.

I'm not going to focus on Jed's statement much.  No point really.  All I would say is that he stepped in when no one else looked as if they were going to and kept things ticking over well enough for the best part of a year.  Regardless of any gaps in his skill set, he has my thanks for that.

As for Lee Power: we asked for some communication, and we got it.  Only time will tell whether it is genuine.  But he deserves a chance, and he'll get one from me.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #727 on: Tuesday, December 3, 2013, 21:18:00 »

I'm not going to focus on Jed's statement much.  No point really.  All I would say is that he stepped in when no one else looked as if they were going to and kept things ticking over well enough for the best part of a year.  Regardless of any gaps in his skill set, he has my thanks for that.
Agreed on that. Regardless of whether Jed was in it for the money, a chancer or just a fan out of his depth he did save the club from certain administration and we should all be grateful for that.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #728 on: Tuesday, December 3, 2013, 22:03:46 »

Does Jed going and selling out to someone who has the cash to keep the club going prove that his 'model' to run a self sustained club has failed? please let me know.

No one would have had a chance of making a club that after PDC and the never ending budget (well never ending until AB found out) so the answer is who know's?
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #729 on: Tuesday, December 3, 2013, 23:11:21 »

Jed, a saviour?  Sure his bonhomie could be engaging but what is the financial balance sheet of his involvement at STFC?  Might there be issues as to what he has taken out?  Could anyone point me to any evidence that Jed has put more than £1 into STFC or that he personally has even risked anything beyond a round of drinks? 

If not, 9 months of financial opportunity and minor celebrity as a Chairman is a decent reward not requiring any forelock tugging.  Through necessity, Jed and his team had started to address some of the structural issues of the club's over-dependency on individual donor sponsorship and for that, with Steve Murrall, credit does appear to be due to Jed.

It was AB however who put his hand in his pocket and, as curiously confirmed by the latest audited balance sheet, it was AB who left STFC with relatively light debts - without his parting write offs, there would have been no club to sell for £1.  STFC emerged from ABs period of ownership with lessons learned and better off than when he joined, even if the suddenness of his departure remains regrettable to all but AB himself.

We are now left with LP.  Obviously LP has my respect as a shareholder because he has "shown the money" in terms of funding and to a degree also in terms of risk.  LP's historical lack of communication of any overt business plan does concern me but is not untypical in a "small business".  I think history shows that if LP were ever at risk of losing out or putting STFC into admin, he would choose the latter. 

LP does pay the piper and is entitled to call the tune.  Unless more solid grounds emerge to question his motives, then for me it is, curiously for a cynic, in LP we trust. even if we ought keep up the questioning and support the Trust.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #730 on: Tuesday, December 3, 2013, 23:36:11 »

I'm all for statements, but Lee Power's statement is one of the best I've read. Obviously he'll be judged on actions rather than words, but lets give the guy a chance as somebody earlier said. He wants to be judged after 5 years, not 5 minutes, will he get things wrong - almost certainly, but I'd like to think he'll get most things right and seems like he's off to a good start with regards to using his football contacts with the Spurs players. I'm prepared to give him the time he asks, I just hope he sticks around for that - the long haul, something that you don't see too often in football these days - A bit of communication here and there, and to know our club is becoming sustainable off the pitch, and on the pitch having more success than failure. That may sound a lot, but all I really ask for and want is to ensure there is Swindon Town FC to support!

#VivaKenBarlow!
stfc2012

Ignore
« Reply #731 on: Wednesday, December 4, 2013, 06:07:18 »

Oh fuck off. People have just said (quite reasonably) that the two statements from the two shows a marked contrast in their approaches and beyond that they're prepared to give Power a chance. Nothing wrong with that is there?

Not just you but I'm sick of this "all or nothing" approach - there's such a thing as shades of grey. Or not especially trusting/liking any of the various factions but being prepared to acknowledge when someone's got something right (or ballsed up).

Nice statement, changes nothing, like any of them, judge them on their actions not their words.

Agreed. But we, as in you, me and everyone else now seem to look a bit more favourably towards mr Power, post statement. In some ways that statement has changed everything. It's a good one alright. There was supposed to be an elemen of humour to my post, which either you missed or I forgot to add
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #732 on: Wednesday, December 4, 2013, 07:51:39 »

Agreed. But we, as in you, me and everyone else now seem to look a bit more favourably towards mr Power, post statement. In some ways that statement has changed everything. It's a good one alright.
Speak for yourself: for myself, I already said "Nice statement, changes nothing"
There was supposed to be an elemen of humour to my post, which either you missed or I forgot to add
If it was there, I did indeed miss it. And to some extent I jumped on it as an example of the class of these "Oh so everyone's swung the other way" posts which are very annoying. Arguing to the extreme like that does nothing to further the discussion, just attempts to polarise everyone's opinion when in fact most of us are more than capable of recognising that even the biggest of fools/crooks can get something right and that even the best/most honest can fuck up and can take that into account.
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #733 on: Wednesday, December 4, 2013, 08:06:24 »

What's that, the fifth person to hold the title of Chairman of Swindon Town Football Club in a little over two and a half years?

I know the standard refrain is 'never a dull moment' but a period of relative stability and consistency off the pitch at least would be more than welcome for me.
stfc2012

Ignore
« Reply #734 on: Wednesday, December 4, 2013, 08:14:07 »

Speak for yourself: for myself, I already said "Nice statement, changes nothing"If it was there, I did indeed miss it. And to some extent I jumped on it as an example of the class of these "Oh so everyone's swung the other way" posts which are very annoying. Arguing to the extreme like that does nothing to further the discussion, just attempts to polarise everyone's opinion when in fact most of us are more than capable of recognising that even the biggest of fools/crooks can get something right and that even the best/most honest can fuck up and can take that into account.

Fair play.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52   Go Up
Print
Jump to: