Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Plymouth Argyle Official Matchday Thread  (Read 29633 times)
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2013, 15:29:58 »

Been said on here before about certain sections of our fans who simply turn up to moan about something. If it wasn't the style of play it would be results/the board/ref or whatever was most convenient at the time. Nothing to be done other than make fun of them during games. The shouts of "backwards" and "sideways" were perfect.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2013, 15:34:59 »

Is the bloke who makes the parrot screech still on the TE?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2013, 15:37:50 »

Is the bloke who makes the parrot screech still on the TE?
it was a peacock screech (apparently) and not heard him for a season or two.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2013, 15:51:34 »

Whatever it was, sounded like he'd been on the screech  Smiley
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2013, 16:01:32 »

Been said on here before about certain sections of our fans who simply turn up to moan about something. If it wasn't the style of play it would be results/the board/ref or whatever was most convenient at the time. Nothing to be done other than make fun of them during games. The shouts of "backwards" and "sideways" were perfect.

This.

I sit in the Arkells and one of the recent comments was "I want to see us play football" - god only knows what he thought he was watching!

And as for us passing the ball around too much, in the latter part of the game Ward was telling both Hall and Branco more than once to "keep the ball" - enough said.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2013, 16:23:08 »

I commend the management/players for sticking to the pass pass mentality but there are times when a ball over the top/ thru the defence will do equally as well.
Reading Plymouths version of last night they said they struggled with our formation in the first half but once they had changed more inline with ours the second half was a more even affair.
Lg1 teams will work us out a lot quicker.
Sometimes I think we over complicate matters in the last third and are looking for that world class goal rather than taking whats on offer.

I didnt hear any booing of L Thompson and hope there wasnt any. Tis wrong
And yes heard many shouting shoot - me as well at times.
Am totally happy with all the passing going on but still want to see goals
And plenty of them

A few points on that.

- The balls through / over the defence are happening. They haven't been frequent in the past few games but they do happen and it's that killer pass we're looking for. It's difficult when teams lay out a good 6/7 players straight accross the box.

- Most League One teams know what we're about and that hasn't stopped us dominating most of the games we've played. It's harder to win games if you don't have the ball and like it or not, our way of defending seems to be heading towards keeping the ball. I think Cooper has realised that we are a bit exposed at the back so this is quite clearly a way to combat it.

- In the 8 home games I can think of this season we've scored 15 goals. And that includes a game against Chelsea. When you think of the near misses it could easily be a lot higher.

If you're not willing to be patient and if is possession football is that bad, then you know what to do. But we'll win people over by keeping the ball. The only thing groaning and shouting will do is put pressure on the team to do something stupid, as seen yesterday when a few players were pressured into awful shots and crosses.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2013, 16:36:52 »

With the style we now play, the emphasis is to keep the ball and draw the other team out, thus opening the gaps up, sometimes that takes a while, they'll pretty much get impatient at some point, some are better than others at not being drawn out.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2013, 17:21:37 »

A few points on that.

- The balls through / over the defence are happening. They haven't been frequent in the past few games but they do happen and it's that killer pass we're looking for. It's difficult when teams lay out a good 6/7 players straight accross the box.

So infrequent I cant recall any in the last few games. Yes its difficult when teams are getting so many men behind the ball.Part of the reason they get so many behind the ball is the slow speed of our recent play. At season start we were playing slow build up which changed by Aug end to a quicker pass/move and we created a lot more chances during that period. Last 3 games we have gone back to playing too slow ( forget Chelsea and shitty as those were one offs )

- Most League One teams know what we're about and that hasn't stopped us dominating most of the games we've played. It's harder to win games if you don't have the ball and like it or not, our way of defending seems to be heading towards keeping the ball. I think Cooper has realised that we are a bit exposed at the back so this is quite clearly a way to combat it.

Yep Lg1 teams havent taken long to figure out how we play. We could have had the ball all day saturday and not scored bar the pen. ok we wouldnt have lost tho  Zzz

If you're not willing to be patient and if is possession football is that bad, then you know what to do. But we'll win people over by keeping the ball. The only thing groaning and shouting will do is put pressure on the team to do something stupid, as seen yesterday when a few players were pressured into awful shots and crosses.

Never said I wasnt willing to be patient and dont think you or anyone else can tell me what to do.
Been pitching up at the CG since 76/77 and entitled to have a say whether you fucking agree or not.
I LIKE the passing game but there have been plenty of times recently where the simple option would have been the easiest.
 Smug Fuck Off

sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2013, 19:10:32 »

So infrequent I cant recall any in the last few games.
you didn't see the pass for Barthram's goal then?
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2013, 19:33:23 »

Or the one where Barthram hit the bar with, or the one for McEveley's free header last Saturday, or the pass to Pritchard where he was fouled for our penalty (also last Saturday)...

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2013, 19:54:09 »

I kind of agree with Wooley. Passing sideway and backards for passing sake is as pointless as hitting it long to the oppositions 6ft 8 centre half. We'll end up losing the ball one way or another.

I think the groans and frustrations muttered in the stands are justified given the above, but only if taken out of context.

The context is this team is playing this way with the aim of become better at it. And by getting better at it they will aim out iron out the slow, ploddy tedium and become more consistent at the telling attacking passing football that will kill the games off.

I think they have a fair chance of achieving it and becoming successful. And if they do it'll be good for all. But at the moment we have to understand its a work in progress.
----
What I don't subscribe to is tippy tappy passing football is the only way to be successful. Just because Spain dominate with it doesn't mean its the only way. Spain tried it for years and failed. Germany played a slightly different game and didn't fail.

Horses for courses. Our horses are passers. Lets see where it takes us. But lets not be afraid to comment when it doesn't work.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 9, 2013, 19:56:03 by Batch » Logged
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #161 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2013, 19:58:29 »

I don't get how anyone could Saturday as an example to promote this style of football, it was one of the most boring games in a long time!

That said you get boring long ball games too. So it's not necessarily the style of football, it's the creation and conversion of chances which is the problem.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Wednesday, October 9, 2013, 21:59:35 »

You come across a right cunt IMO.....and that's when we win, lose, draw

Thanks for reading my posts...you're only a newbie with 20 odd posts but I can assure you that I have been a cunt on here for years ( and often off here).

Feel free to call me what you like....well at least until you are blue in the face! Smiley

Clems Army!
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013, 04:42:07 »

....well at least until you are blue in the face! Smiley

FatSmurf

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013, 08:55:48 »

Thanks for reading my posts...you're only a newbie with 20 odd posts but I can assure you that I have been a cunt on here for years ( and often off here).

Feel free to call me what you like....well at least until you are blue in the face! Smiley

Yes I am quite aware, have been reading them for years, was the first time I have been compelled to post!

Sword Fight
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: