Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Torquay United Official Matchday Thread  (Read 40235 times)
kerry red

« Reply #165 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 21:50:42 »

First: I enjoyed that immensely

Second: we have some terrific players

I know people have had their opinions on the Spurs loanees but, for me, the gem is Kasim.

I thought he was brilliant in what he did and my MOM.

I was pleasantly surprised we didn't get out-muscled noticeably.

I just hope us, the fans, can keep it buttoned when things don't seem to be working. Lumping it forward with these players just isn't an option.

I could quite happily watch that team even we end up mid table.

Oh, and I never thought I'd say this but - Cooper could be a decent manager given the chance

Well done to all
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 21:51:13 »

Well, I don't bloody care who is "forcing" us to play like that, be it Power or Spurs, long may it continue.  I have not seen a Swindon side try and play football like we did today in a couple of decades.

As for the game itself.  Barthram looked a bit nervous first half, shored up a little 2nd bit needs time to get first team exposure I think.  Thought Thompson was good when involved but often became bypassed a little by the game, that will improve over time I think.

Kassim is a master stroke of a signing if he repeats tonights fayre.

Pritchard will be a revelation as the season progresses.  I will go on record now as saying he has way more talent than Ritchie.  He is not the finished article, and he'll frustrate us for a few more months yet, but give him time and we will be drooling.

Reis looked like he has some promise.  A bit skitty, just needs more games I think.

Luongo is playing in the wrong division already.

Mason looked good on the ball, nice passing range.

Hall looks like he will be a decent centre half and in Ward he has the perfect teacher.

Byrne was a bit meh.

Storey impressed me, not seen him look that useful before.

Williams - I really cannot work out if I like him or hate him.  2nd half he began to look dangerous, which seems to have been because Cooper told the team not to be afraid of using him when Torquay were pressing to stop our passing game by playing it in behind them and let him run after it.  There is a good player in there, just can't be sure if we will ever really find it.

Overall I found it thoroughly enjoyable, long may it continue.

But........

.....I don't think our fans will given them enough of a chance if we hit a bad patch.  Even tonight I had to bite my lip at people urging them lump it forward, moaning about backwards passes, oh, and having a go because we put 3 men upfront when defending corners.  They are only 5ft for gods sake, not like they will be much use in defence and haven't we be moaning for years about everyone staying back?
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 21:52:07 »

It's all about opinions but I thought he was superb, my mom.
Funny old game football. Doesn't offer anything for me, neither defensive or attack minded, few good tackles granted but matches always seems to pass him by.

On another note, those who towards the end of last season were scared with Wes occasionally taking it round a striker or us passing it about a bit at the back must have had a fucking heart attack first half tonight. Wasn't expecting that much build up from the back but can't complain it beats lumping it long for the opposition centre half to win.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 21:53:05 »

All this "Williams is shit" does my fucking head in. Had to put up with it all through the match. even when he scores its well he should have scored more.When will people work out that a player low on confidence isn't going to improve with constant moaning from the stands. Listen to what copper has to say, too much football in the first half and Williams barely got a touch. He told them to look for the ball over the top for Williams and look what happens. A new player 2nd half. Had some great chances, won countless freekicks, had a goal (def in) disallowed and scored the winner. What a difference it makes having a strike partner and fair play to miles he did very well.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 21:56:01 »

Well, I don't bloody care who is "forcing" us to play like that, be it Power or Spurs, long may it continue.  I have not seen a Swindon side try and play football like we did today in a couple of decades.

As for the game itself.  Barthram looked a bit nervous first half, shored up a little 2nd bit needs time to get first team exposure I think.  Thought Thompson was good when involved but often became bypassed a little by the game, that will improve over time I think.

Kassim is a master stroke of a signing if he repeats tonights fayre.

Pritchard will be a revelation as the season progresses.  I will go on record now as saying he has way more talent than Ritchie.  He is not the finished article, and he'll frustrate us for a few more months yet, but give him time and we will be drooling.

Reis looked like he has some promise.  A bit skitty, just needs more games I think.

Luongo is playing in the wrong division already.

Mason looked good on the ball, nice passing range.

Hall looks like he will be a decent centre half and in Ward he has the perfect teacher.

Byrne was a bit meh.

Storey impressed me, not seen him look that useful before.

Williams - I really cannot work out if I like him or hate him.  2nd half he began to look dangerous, which seems to have been because Cooper told the team not to be afraid of using him when Torquay were pressing to stop our passing game by playing it in behind them and let him run after it.  There is a good player in there, just can't be sure if we will ever really find it.

Overall I found it thoroughly enjoyable, long may it continue.

But........

.....I don't think our fans will given them enough of a chance if we hit a bad patch.  Even tonight I had to bite my lip at people urging them lump it forward, moaning about backwards passes, oh, and having a go because we put 3 men upfront when defending corners.  They are only 5ft for gods sake, not like they will be much use in defence and haven't we be moaning for years about everyone staying back?

Ooh we leave 3 men upfront defending corners? I've long wanted someone, anyone to stand on the halfway line for the break! 3 seems extreme though.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Cibocchi_Is_God

The Italian Stallion

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 21:56:51 »

I really enjoyed tonight, a far cry from games like Macclesfield at home, going toe to toe with lesser sides and hoofing it back and forth. Like someone else said, I don't really care who is "forcing" us to play that way, it was great to watch.
Azza

« Reply #171 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 21:57:40 »

If we get a striker this week will cooper change formation or drop Williams?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 21:58:11 »

It flummoxed Torquay at times, they pulled back 3 to mark them, thought about a fourth then sent him back up for the corner.  If it bounces our way, we could score a few on the counter attack.  They are so small it works better I guess to leave the big men to fight one on one.
Cibocchi_Is_God

The Italian Stallion

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 22:00:11 »

If we get a striker this week will cooper change formation or drop Williams?

Williams would probably play out wide instead of Tijane?
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 22:00:22 »

All this "Williams is shit" does my fucking head in.

This. If he wasn't bothered and strolling around the pitch then he deserves criticism - but he doesn't so why not get behind him.

A front line as quick as Williams and Storey should be enough to unnerve a lot of defences in this league -all the need is a few  goals in a few games and we'd see two different players.

I think we will struggle on shit pitches with physical teams - but we did last year.
kerry red

« Reply #175 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 22:01:01 »

Another thing: we are tremendously pacy all over the pitch and that is going to cause other teams big problems this season.

One slight worry: when we have a corner the 2 CBs have to go up to have even half a chance of a header which leaves us very open if the corner breaks down quickly and we could caught out.

Whatever the negatives are I'd accept them to watch the football we played tonight
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #176 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 22:01:26 »

It flummoxed Torquay at times, they pulled back 3 to mark them, thought about a fourth then sent him back up for the corner.  If it bounces our way, we could score a few on the counter attack.  They are so small it works better I guess to leave the big men to fight one on one.
Agreed, I thought it was a good tactic. The small ones are probably not going to add much from a corner but have pace for the breakaway. Its certainly better than Sturrocks tactic of every fucker back.
Also the subs of Luongo and Storey made a big difference.
I think Cooper may have put himself in the frame or maybe bought himself a bit of time. .
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 22:03:46 »

All this "Williams is shit" does my fucking head in. Had to put up with it all through the match. even when he scores its well he should have scored more.When will people work out that a player low on confidence isn't going to improve with constant moaning from the stands. Listen to what copper has to say, too much football in the first half and Williams barely got a touch. He told them to look for the ball over the top for Williams and look what happens. A new player 2nd half. Had some great chances, won countless freekicks, had a goal (def in) disallowed and scored the winner. What a difference it makes having a strike partner and fair play to miles he did very well.

He did look better 2nd half but still doesnt look his former self to me.
Storeys introduction made a big difference as full of running and lively up front so Williams benefitted from that.

Still dont think he is the man we need upfront - and yes he scored when he couldnt miss
He SHOULD have had more - not sure if the ball crossed the line or not but his one on one with the keeper summed his recent form up for me - lacking in confidence big time.

Who knows that goal may be what was needed to kickstart him into gear

Depends on the personnel we play along side him
Cibocchi_Is_God

The Italian Stallion

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 22:04:32 »

If Cooper will be brave enough to have us at least trying to play the same way every week (regardless of league position) - then I'm more than happy for him to have the job.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 22:06:44 »

I thought Storey only went properly up top when Pritchard came off and we moved one of the midfielders just in behind - was supposed to be Luongo but Thompson was fucked so finished up there by default.  Story went in like for like on right to begin with.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: