Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Torquay United Official Matchday Thread  (Read 40237 times)
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 21:25:19 »

Just back. And as I am a happy clapper I'll do the good bits first.  Good football, on the deck, using Fods  as a sweeper (!) at times a bit risky. Luongo on at half time  - he is a class above on a good pitch and made the difference. Kassim looked useful, Storey was quick, Pritchard good but very young and naive at times - shame about the penalty.

Bad points - it was a L2 team we were up against but who tried to play. We looked toothless up front and a bit short and flimsy at the back.

I'm not going to single out any players for critisicsm, especially not Williams. The guy is devoid of confidence and works very hard. This is the time to get behind the team and not just shout pointless abuse as some fucktard in the DRS was doing behind my kids all game. Wanker.

And it was a goal.
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 21:26:06 »

Thought we looked a far better attacking option with Williams and Storey together. Pritchard was trying a little too hard after missing the penalty but put a peach of a ball through for Storey to make Williams goal.

Still a lot of shouts in the Arkells to "get the ball forward" which is not going to be the case with the present setup, OK agree that there can be too much inter-passing at times but much rather see that than hoof ball.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 21:26:28 »

Enjoyable game, started brightly but Torquay came on strong towards the end of the first half.  We dominated the second half and really should have scored more.  Very impressed by Hall at the back, not so sure on one or two of the others - didn't think Pritchard was man of the match - one or two impressive runs but little end product.  Missed a decent chance with his head and a penalty as well.  Sorry to disappoint a lot of people but Williams had a decent game and Storey played well when he came on as a sub at the start of the second half.
Langers

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 21:28:39 »

Good to see town won. Hopefully a good draw in the next round.

I very much enjoyed watching pox get stuffed  Smiley
Dozno9

« Reply #154 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 21:30:48 »

Many highlights, Pritchard being MOM by the 'match sponsors' was not one of them, it was Thompsons all day long.

Luongo was a class above, love to make him permanent. Storey has bulked out and ran the defenders shitless when running at them which was great to see.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 21:31:12 »

Just got in, my two-penneth are as follows:

I really enjoy the passing game we are trying to play. Yes, sometimes it's a little too much and gets dangerous, especially between Wes and the back 4, but we'll iron that out. Those people urging to 'get it forward' just need time to adjust and be patient. The forward probing does come once we have dragged the opposition to where we want or need them to be.

My MoM was the Iraqi sensation, Kasim. He always wanted the ball, more often than not used it simply and effectively, and showed some nice skills and composure in tight places. In fact, our midfield trio were all impressive again, Luongo changing the game (along with Storey) when he came on.

The wingers... hmmm. I don't know. Not much came off for Pritchard, and no way was he MoM. Tried hard, but out muscled, and tricks rarely came off. Good dive for the penalty. All pros should score form 12 yards though. Tijane looked tricky, but seemed to lose the ball too much, much to Ward's chagrin.

On to Ward, he's great. Every time the ball is in the air near him, I have no fear he will out-muscle his striker and win it. I don't have the same confidence in Hall, but he'll get stronger and learn the tricks of the trade (hopefully) the more he plays. Barthram was far too weak and wasn't as comfortable on the ball as the rest of the Spurs lads. Byrne was okay and made some good tackles and forward runs, but miscontrolled the ball out for a throw by trying to use the outside of his right foot again. I'd fine him for every time he did that. Our fullbacks are often exploited by long balls because they are so tiny and weak.

Up front. Williams was out-fought for the majority of the game, and once he knew this, gave up on a lot, falling down and waving his arms in a strop. Should have scored a hat-trick, but can't finish for shit. The one that may have gone over the line (couldn't tell from my angle, and so don't even blame the lino for not knowing), should have been finished without leaving any doubt. Poor. Storey, finishing aside (although he would have scored if Williams hadn't toe poked it in), he was lightening quick, tricky, and a willing runner.

All in all, it wasn't as good as Peterborough, and I still have concerns over physicality and our work when we don't have possession. We should have scored more, but that is a limitation of the players, not the system or the manager.

Sorry for the essay.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 21:31:28 »

My thoughts:

- Played some nice stuff first half, although overplayed a bit at the back. Last 10/15 of half Torquay were all over us with our midfield all over the place. Louis Thompson particulary anonymous, a bit of a nothing player really.

- Second half much improved with Luongo impressive, Torquay didn't threaten at all. I am sure Williams' effort crossed the line and he also missed a one on one.

- Impressed with Kasim, surprisingly good on the ball, I was expecting a battering ram type player but he is a ball playing centre mid who is always an outlet for the back four.

- Pritchard will be our key player, frustrating at times but the lad is a class act. Mason also impressive.

- Tjane - couple of nice runs past players but also lost it a fair bit. Very one footed but sure he will improve.

- Storey - more performances like that will help make my pre season comments on him look silly. Great burst of pace for the goal.

- Ward as solid as ever, Hall was ok I guess and full backs were solid and good on the ball.

My thoughts on this side haven't changed. We will play some lovely stuff at times but can see us struggling up against physical sides on the road. Certainly plenty of promise there and I look forward to seeing who Power signs for us up front.

On a final note, good to see Bodin is still shite. Non league before long.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 21:32:25 »

Just got in - have to say was pleased with the football we played. Plenty of one touch slick passing ( at times a little too slick as ended up losing the ball.
Honestly thought Pritchard was a mascot - looked minute against some of the opposition but well deserved his MoM.
Reis impressed in bursts tho gave the ball away far to often.
Substitutions made a real difference.
Storey lively on the right and Luongo looked comfortable on the ball and showed his class.
Kasim was stand out in midfield for me - never seemed hurried and always looked composed on the ball.

Team was lively in attack with plenty of movement off the ball

Plenty to look forward to I think but still work to be done, the amount of times Wes dribbled past an oncoming attacker will surely lead to a soft goal or many  being conceded this season.
Weakest link is Williams for me - didnt look on the same wavelength as the youngsters and didnt look confident as the lone frontman.
Threw his arms around every decision that didnt go his way and seemed to be off the pace.
Took his goal well though a 6 yard tap in wasnt hard

Get in a decent frontman or 2 and I think we will be pleasantly surprised this season
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 21:33:23 »

Peterborough's result today puts our 1-0 defeat in perspective.

..never go back.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 21:35:01 »

My view:

First half for about 30 minutes we looked fairly comfortable, though there were a few moments of concern where we looked shaky as Torquay came forward. Mason is a great ball player and his passing nearly-but-not-quite unlocked the Torquay defence on a few occasions. We weren't the finished article but there was much promise. Downside was Reis tried to do too much. Towards the end of the half Torquay came on very strongly, but thankfully a combination of good defending and hapless finishing saved our bacon. They should probably have scored.

Second half Mason and Reis were replaced, Storey was lively and Torquay caused us much fewer problems. We looked more comfortable but less likely to score with it. There was a shot from Williams that he seemed convinced crossed the line, but it wasn't given. No idea from where I sat. Then the breakthrough, or it should have been. It looked like Pritchard was clearly taken out in the box for a pen, but the Torquay fans seemed less convinced. Anyway average penalty, good save, complete hash on the rebound from Story. But he redeemed himself later, just after Benyon was KO'd, he broke down the left and went to the left side of the goal, I thought he was going to shoot but he squared it for Williams to tap in.

After missing the penalty Pritchard became a liability after looking quite lively up to then. He basically stopped passing, perhaps trying to do too much to make up for his earlier miss. It was no surprise when he was subbed. Naturally the sponsors gave him the MOM.

My MOM : Kassim.
Dozno9

« Reply #160 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 21:37:13 »

Louis Thompson particulary anonymous, a bit of a nothing player really.

It's all about opinions but I thought he was superb, my mom.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 21:41:03 »

I reckon the MOM award was tactical as Pritchard's head dropped after the penalty
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 21:45:44 »

I reckon the MOM award was tactical as Pritchard's head dropped after the penalty

He deffo fell away after the pen miss and took some stick from the turkey fans
Was great up until then and a nailed on pen for me - decent save from keeper but should really have buried that
Cibocchi_Is_God

The Italian Stallion

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 21:49:04 »

Louis Thompson particulary anonymous, a bit of a nothing player really.

A wee bit harsh considering it was only his second senior start, I actually thought he played quite well.. Showed a few nice touches and looks a good enough passer of the ball.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #164 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 21:49:11 »

I thought it was a ppor game but not surprising given how early season it was. the good news was the win, although we could easily have gone it half time down a goal. Luongo and Storey made a hell of a difference. Luongo for me was MOM - looked absolute quality today. Storey ran the defenders shitless but should have stuck in the rebound from the penalty.
The Iraqi guy looks really good but he was blowing out of his arse after about 30 minutes - went anonymous for a while and then got his second breath. The Portuguese guy looked absolute crap. Pritchard is a greedy little fucker who was trying to impress a bit too much. Hopefully when he's calmed down he'll learn when to pass and when to run. He gave the ball away very cheaply but did some pretty good stuff as well. Williams got the goal but was crap. This team is crying out for a Wayne Allison - mind you every team since has been crying out for a Wayne Allison.
There were some really promising signs there today but equally as many worrying ones - the way the midfield went to pieces in the first half. Some of the passing back to Fods was a self destruct button waiting to happen.
It will be interesting to see what Saturday brings.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: