Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Torquay United Official Matchday Thread  (Read 40180 times)
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 07:09:33 »

I found it a really difficult game to call.  I agree with all the positive comments - Kasim is definitely a find, and, although Tijane is a little inconsistent, he does look like the one most likely to make the dazzling run which will open up defences.  There is no doubt that we have a team of technically gifted players - Luongo made a huge difference in the 2nd half, and linked well with Kasim; but it is that 'magic moment which turns measured build-up into incisive attack.  Williams worked really hard in both halves, but he came alive in the 2nd, when he was given some through balls to run onto, especially 'off centre'.  The problem then is that there IS no-one in the box with any height, so the risk is that passes across the edge of the 18 yard area keep going backwards and forwards, waiting for an opening to shoot (and that's when the crowd's frustration begins to build up).  The greatest danger last night was created when individuals went hell for leather towards goal - Pritchard, Luongo, Storey all did it.

For me that is the key - the build-up is great, but the incisiveness in the last third is still to come consistently - and when it does....who knows?
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 07:18:03 »

Anybody who can't appreciate some of the football we played last night really should find an alternative pastime. Let's remember that this is predominantly a new team. It's going to take a few competitive games before they all gel. Saw enough last night to expect some very entertaining games this season.
No one really to moan about, Williams improved as the game went on and kept running, Luongo and Storey made big impacts in the 2nd half.
My only gripe would be Pritchard's decision making at times, hopefully he'll calm down a bit and realise he's got team mates. Or he could listen to 'World In Motion' on a loop. If there's one player who needs to learn when to hold or give, but do it at the right time it's him.

It's All Good..............
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 07:30:06 »

I think RWB Robin makes a fair point n incisiveness, which some may brand "mong", in that sometimes we do need to get the ball forward quicker. i.e. play in Williams when he makes the run rather than play it sideways. Its different from lumping it forward mind.

Early days, promising signs. Lets see where it takes us. Saturday is going to be interesting/tough.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 07:30:27 »

Those who claimed the pitch would be ruined are also a bit quiet now!  It looked ok to me.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 07:36:09 »

I thought we started well, fizzled out at the end of the first half. Storey and Luongo made a massive difference when they came on. I thought Tijane looked a little bit of out his depth, but im sure he will improve. Pritchard has the talent, just needs to pass the bloody ball! Kasim was my MOM and as usual Ward was collosus at the back, didnt miss anything.

Special mention to D'Urso though excetional refereeing performance, 10/10. I cant believe he didnt give a foul when their no 4 picked up Williams, spun him round and threw him to the ground! Blatant goal too, could see it from the middle of the DRS.

Encouraging signs for the season, nice football played.

Oh, and Herthab has too many packets of sweets, kept trying to groom me with them..
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #200 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 07:38:37 »

Jonathan burrows ‏@JONNYB4532 17m
@BBCWiltshire I've left at quarter past nine absolute rubbish aint coming back again rubbish

Jonathan burrows ‏@JONNYB4532 17m
@JedMcCoy. I've left quarter past nine line your pockets and fuck off out of our club

we scored a few minutes later Smiley
ha ha what a fucking cunt.

I see he has backtracked a bit today...

Jonathan burrows ‏@JONNYB4532 8h

I admit I was wrong tonight bit impatient and drink got too me @JedMcCoy. It will take us time to gel

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #201 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 07:43:33 »

Backtracked a bit?! That's a complete turnaround.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 07:44:06 »

I wonder if Jed sent him a nasty DM Cool
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 07:49:46 »

Good to be back at the CG. The style of football was very Tottenham, so enjoyable to watch. Looking forward to this season which wont be straight forward by any means....the final part of our game needs some working on as Williams up front on his own doesn`t look like its going to work on last night`s evidence. I think he should have taken the penalty. Glad he did score, his confidence needs to be restored.
Couldn`t believe how small our full backs are....presume Nathan Thompson will be back on Saturday? Lots of really good performances except the crowd which were pretty poor. To be out supported by 200 away fans is just not on.

No complaints...but am aware that we were playing a League 2 side.....looking forward to Saturday. Clap

Bathtime
Crispy
Pink Jumper For Goalpost

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 08:05:03 »

ha ha what a fucking cunt.

I see he has backtracked a bit today...

Johnny Burrows is a class A crab handed spastic.

They've got muslamic rayguns, muslamic rayguns..
Peter Venkman

« Reply #205 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 08:13:02 »

Johnny Burrows is a class A crab handed spastic.
Cheesy classy insult there Crispy!

A quick read on the Torquay forum this morning I found this little ill educated gem.

You're not wrong, Super, frigging Niall Thompson did more for Swindon than their MOTM. Let's hope that's a one off.

Hawley looked class, despite not being fit. He ran rings around his man at times. Ball was also good, despite his bizarre decision to flail a leg in the general direction of one particular pass instead of heading it into the net.
Bodin tried first half, but was outshone by Chappel who gave his man a torrid time out wide.
The football was excellent first half, we really played some good stuff.
Second half, Swindon made a couple of changes, took off a couple of million pound Tottenham kids and replaced them with a couple of 5 million pound Tottenham kids and that changed the game.
Despite Ricey being MOTM, it really wasn't one of those games. We should have been 4-0 up at HT and out of sight.
As it was, second half they managed to be much more clinical than us. They won a pen which was soft but easy to give, good save from Ricey who was bloody miles off his line when the ball was kicked. The other one looked to have crossed the line, but we'll never know for sure. Their goal was alright, but it wouldn't have happened if not for the Benyon assault. Our lads were still thinking about Elliot when their guy got free and hacked a dreadful shot miles wide, only for his teammate to slide in at the far post and knock it in.
So, once again, we're out of this ridiculous competition. The positives are many chief among them is the absolute battering we will give to the crap of L2 (Accrington, D&R etc) if we play like we did first half.

BBC reckons they got the post twice. Anyone remember these?

Matt.
So it appears that both Tijane and Storey are Spurs players  Roll Eyes

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 08:21:31 »

Thanks for all the match reports, lots of positives, Kasim sounds like a composed central midfielder, Reis sounds like he is either a world beater, or a total klutz, and Pritchard is exciting but needs to learn how to be a team player before becoming the real deal.

The negatives for me is our fanbase, where I sit in the DRS, I can tell this is going to be an issue this season with Rick Wakeman and his cronies surely are going to be more annoying than a bout of pubic lice.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 08:24:54 »

" We should have been 4-0 up at HT and out of sight."

They should have scored one or two at the end of the half, but that's a gross simplification as it ignores our own 3 or 4 half chances.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 08:38:42 »

Sure this will have been asked but .....

When's the draw for the next round?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #209 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 08:39:40 »

Sure this will have been asked but .....

When's the draw for the next round?
12.30 Thursday I believe.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: