Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Aresene Wenger  (Read 9378 times)
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 14:05:24 »

Aah, I see.

Still bollocks though.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 14:10:23 »

I dont think its fair to say Wenger is over rated, his trophy haul at Arsenal is fucking impressive. Not many managers can better it.

He also managed a team that went a whole season unbeaten. Problem with Wenger now is that he too much faith in over rated youngsters and wont splash the cash on older, more proven players.

In his time at Arsenal alot of Wengers better buys have been already decent and in some case proven players and he has improved them - but they werent 15 and 16 when he did sign them. (Lauren 23, Campbell 27, Pires 27, Ljungberg 21, Vieira 20, Henry 22, Petit 27, Overmars 24, Anelka 18, Edu 23, van Bronckhorst 26, Gilberto Silva 26)

Ok, those players had various degress of success at Arsenal and thats not all his signings but Anelka was the youngest at 18. Add them to the already there old school Arsenal - Seaman, Dixon, Winterburn, Keown, Adams, Bould, Parlour, Wright and you've got a good mix of younger foreign talent and old british steel. One of Wengers probems imo is that he's never replaced the old british heads he inherited.

Now a days he seems too focused on technically gifted kids who can pass the ball and not do much else.

Wenger could sell Fabregas for 35m spend 8m of that on Scott Parker and be better off for it.

If I was in Wengers shoes I would have got rid of Fabregas and Nasri as early as possible and had my shopping list of Shay Given, Gary Cahill, Scott Parker and Darren Bent.
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 14:17:38 »

If I was in Wengers shoes I would have got rid of Fabregas and Nasri as early as possible and had my shopping list of Shay Given, Gary Cahill, Scott Parker and Darren Bent.

Wise words, maybe add in Jagielka too, to replace Squillachi. Why he doesn't sign Scott Parker in particular is beyond me. Not quite the meathead CM that they really need because he can play it about too, but I would have thought that increased the chances of him being up Wenger's street. Strange.

Even Joey Barton would do a job in their midfield.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 14:49:17 »

Even add in people like Leighton Baines, Christopher Samba or even Steven Fletcher - not world beaters by any stretch of the imagination - but proven premier league quality with a bit of battle about them.

How Scott Parker is still at West Ham I dont know - he could do a job for anyone in the Premier League.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 15:02:13 »

I dont think its fair to say Wenger is over rated, his trophy haul at Arsenal is fucking impressive. Not many managers can better it.

He also managed a team that went a whole season unbeaten. Problem with Wenger now is that he too much faith in over rated youngsters and wont splash the cash on older, more proven players.

At that end of that period I'd have agreed with you. But he's been unable to replicate it and has lived off it since.
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 15:50:05 »

I've always been impressed with Fletcher too, DV, and he's surprisingly young too so plenty of room for development.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 15:53:31 »

He had the best shots to goals ratio in the Prem last season.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 17:09:46 »

Not convinced by Downing and Henderson signings. Without Gerrard always likely to lose.

I disagree. Downing did well for Villa last season and Liverpool have lacked a proper LM player for years. Now they have that. Henderson granted i'm not sure on but Adam is a god signing as well. I dont think they'll rely on Gerrard too much either. They have 2 good strikers in Suarez and Carroll and their midfield with Adam, Downing, Mereles, Maxi and Kuyt is not bad. It's just their defence which is a bit naff really.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 17:16:57 »

should have bought given about 4 years ago, should have already bought 1 of samba, jags or cahill, now is the time for parker for sure and he should have offered villa the money for bent as soon as the prem league finished last season.  people rubbish bent all the time but he'd be top scorer in the league at arsenal and they'd actually conced a lot less with him in the side - less fannying about...
ahounsell

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 17:33:04 »

Not sure about Bent but the other three would all be very good buys.

I doubt Man City would have allowed Given to go to a club that they would consider a rival for a top 4 spot though. Wenger should have moved for him when he was at Newcastle.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 17:41:39 »

should have bought given about 4 years ago, should have already bought 1 of samba, jags or cahill, now is the time for parker for sure and he should have offered villa the money for bent as soon as the prem league finished last season.  people rubbish bent all the time but he'd be top scorer in the league at arsenal and they'd actually conced a lot less with him in the side - less fannying about...

Bent is also the highest scoring English striker in the PL over the past 4 years and I think he's the 4th highest of the lot.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 18:42:29 »

Ramsey and Wiltshire (as I like to call him) may be good players, but it's much easier looking good with players like Nasri and Fabregas on your side.  Without Nasri and Fabregas it's a whole different story, Ramsay & Wilshere could have a difficult season without those superior players backing them up.

Looking forward to the premier league this year, it'll be interesting to see how it goes.
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 18:57:27 »

Wilshere did look good at Bolton too, on loan the season before last I think.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 19:06:51 »

It's easy to look good when you're playing with players like Nolan and Campo  ;-)

Good point OF, but we're talking Ramsay and Wilshere being top performers for a wannabe top 4 side now, without the back up of superb footballers.  I'm not saying they can't do it, but it's a big ask for two young lads.
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 19:21:02 »

Wilshere can do it. Not seen much of Ramsey. Wasn't he on loan to a Championship side last season?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: