Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Aresene Wenger  (Read 9382 times)
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 12:01:31 »

It's all about opinions Walrus, calm down and get your spelling sorted out!

What's wrong with my speelings?!  Please correct me - it's the only way I'll learn!

But as a businessman (I'm quoting off the top of my head, so this may or may not be true) hasn't he made more money in the transfer market than any of the big four and by quite a margin?

His signings are his weakness.  Even when he signs an "experienced" player, they're not always of top four calibre.

However, he's been a revelation in English football and for one reason or another has not had the squad to be a genuine contender for the title.  Keeping Arsenal in the top four is an achievement in itself.
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 12:04:54 »

I still think Arsenal will finish top 4. A lot of people tipping Liverpool for 4th but just can't see it. I think they've bought terribly.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 12:13:56 »

I still think Arsenal will finish top 4. A lot of people tipping Liverpool for 4th but just can't see it. I think they've bought terribly.

really? how so?
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 12:24:06 »

Just do. I think Ramsey will step up this season, they've got Wilshere, Van Persie. They've bought Gervinho who I think will do well. They're probably going to sign Mata and an experienced centre half. Won't be as bad as what people are making out.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 12:30:32 »

sorry, i meant the liverpool comment?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 13:02:53 »

But as a businessman (I'm quoting off the top of my head, so this may or may not be true) hasn't he made more money in the transfer market than any of the big four and by quite a margin?

If his hands have been tied then that's a very good point. And something the board should consider before moving him upstairs when the time comes.

In my opinion though he has had some funds available (according to quotes/press), but insists on preserving the style of football at the expense of winning. I'm sure that the club could afford a Joey Barton type or a defender of the same style. Instead they buy a Theo Walcott or an Oxwhatsit-Chamberlain.

I summary I think he's a very good manager, and there may be some validity in the financial constraints he works under, but my opinion is a top top manager would have found a way to win something. And he hasn't for some time.

The Arsenal board are going to come under pressure soon. You can't charge the top season ticket prices they do (£1k aren't they?) and win nothing.
Barry Scott

« Reply #21 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 13:05:04 »

I don't really care for any team in the Premiership, but I do think Arsenal will struggle to get near the top 4. They're perennial under achievers and always lacking an old head and a bit of strength, I think this season will be a comedy for Arsenal haters. I think Liverpuel have a decent shout at being well up there. Easy top 4 I reckon.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 13:06:43 »

I don't think it'll be as easy for liverpool as people make out. They've bought a lot of players, but not many who've played at the top end of the league. Also interesting to see whether dalglishes success at the back end of last season was due to his skill as a manager or just a case of a new face.

Things get better but they never get good
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 13:19:12 »

sorry, i meant the liverpool comment?

Not convinced by Downing and Henderson signings. Without Gerrard always likely to lose.
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 13:42:25 »

Wenger was good in his day but hasnt moved with the times - Paolo Di Canio (altho its still early days) is moving things on a notch - has progressed with the game and works very hard at it.

Sorry but I can't let this pass without comment.

You're having a fucking laugh, right? You're suggesting that Wenger has already been surpassed by a man with all the experience of 2 matches as a football manager, in division 4?
« Last Edit: Friday, August 12, 2011, 13:52:17 by oxford_fan » Logged
Miles Mayhem

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 13:46:27 »

Sorry but I can't let this pass without comment.

You're having a fucking laugh, right? You're suggesting that Wenger has already been surpassed by a man with all the experience of 2 matches as a football manager, in division 3?

sorry but i cant let this pass without comment

its clearly one match
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 13:51:30 »

...and it's division 4.

tsk.
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 13:51:58 »

didn't you play in the league cup?
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 13:52:38 »

No, it was postponed against Brizzle City.

So di Canio has a 100% win ratio, Wenger can't claim that.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 13:55:07 »

You're having a fucking laugh, right? You're suggesting that Wenger has already been surpassed by a man with all the experience of 2 matches as a football manager, in division 4?

I think he was saying Wenger is still employing the same methods as he has always done, whereas Di Canio was a player in the Wenger era but has moved with changing times.

Maybe.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: