Pages: 1 ... 1567 1568 1569 [1570] 1571 1572 1573 ... 2656   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5092792 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #23535 on: Monday, June 20, 2016, 12:08:37 »

Literally anything in marketing. I've got 4 years worth of experience, but I think soon as anyone sees the word nightclub on my CV they immediately dismiss it.

If you're getting to the interview stage, then it's not just that - the CV gets you in the door, if there was a problem with something on it they probably wouldn't call you in for interview at all. Like BO says, request feedback from places (most decent employers will provide feedback at interview stage) but be prepared to get a straight bat "better qualified candidates" answer which is a bit of a cop out but stops them getting sued for saying the wrong thing. Some employers are better than others at this.

It's interesting, I've been on the other side of the interviewing table recently and it changes your perspective a lot. I genuinely wanted to be able to hire most of the people I saw, but the amount of people who simply didn't do their research on what the job was alarmed me.

Not saying that's you at all, just an observation.
SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #23536 on: Monday, June 20, 2016, 13:03:41 »

I've tried tweaking my CV a number of times, in the hope of  getting further (Which does seem to have happened)

I always try to ask for feedback, but every single time i've been told I intervened very well but they've hired someone with more experience.

Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #23537 on: Monday, June 20, 2016, 13:18:15 »

I've tried tweaking my CV a number of times, in the hope of  getting further (Which does seem to have happened)

I always try to ask for feedback, but every single time i've been told I intervened very well but they've hired someone with more experience.
Stop intervening then  Wink
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #23538 on: Monday, June 20, 2016, 13:46:40 »

Literally anything in marketing. I've got 4 years worth of experience, but I think soon as anyone sees the word nightclub on my CV they immediately dismiss it.

I think those companies who advertise golf sales with sandwich boards are often hiring, that's marketing isn't it!  Wink

Seriously just keep it up, I was in exactly the same position when I left uni and then after nothing got two job offers in the same day (including one for a company I had been interviewed for a different job 6 months previously and they remembered me when this other position arose), Norwich or Cumbria, think I chose correctly in the long term!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #23539 on: Monday, June 20, 2016, 14:04:38 »

I guess the advice would be to stick at it and don't get down heartened. There is nothing you can really do if you are being beaten by more experienced people. Keep at it and something will come up. Good luck.

Are you on LinkedIn at all? I mentioned this to Ginginho that I managed to get a job basically through networking and knowing people at my new firm. This seemed to go a long way with my interviewers that I had spent the time speaking to people at the company. Perhaps you might not be in the same boat but networking I think is very important.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #23540 on: Monday, June 20, 2016, 19:37:57 »

Adam Lallana's shooting, how does he know exactly where the keeper is going to be?
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #23541 on: Monday, June 20, 2016, 19:48:45 »

I guess the advice would be to stick at it and don't get down heartened. There is nothing you can really do if you are being beaten by more experienced people. Keep at it and something will come up. Good luck.

Are you on LinkedIn at all? I mentioned this to Ginginho that I managed to get a job basically through networking and knowing people at my new firm. This seemed to go a long way with my interviewers that I had spent the time speaking to people at the company. Perhaps you might not be in the same boat but networking I think is very important.

I have recently rejoined LinkedIn, need to complete my profile at some point!
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #23542 on: Monday, June 20, 2016, 19:50:33 »

I have recently rejoined LinkedIn, need to complete my profile at some point!

It's really worth it. I keep getting calls from recruitment consultants now so definitely think it's worth the effort.

Good luck with your search.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #23543 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 08:43:03 »

It's really worth it. I keep getting calls from recruitment consultants now so definitely think it's worth the effort.

Good luck with your search.

Those calls become irritating after a while trust me!
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #23544 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 09:12:23 »

Those calls become irritating after a while trust me!

I can imagine. They kept calling after 5pm when I was trying to watch the football!

Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #23545 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 09:14:28 »

At my gym they always have Capital FM on, and whenever I am in I keep hearing a song by Rihanna which I think is called 'work, work work'

Which appears to be Rihanna just babbling baby language over music. Its absolutely appalling yet has been played for the best part of 6 months now.

Flashheart

« Reply #23546 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 09:15:23 »

I can't fucking stand Rihanna. Gets right on my tits.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #23547 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 13:34:55 »

Lack of bins.

I don't condone littering for a second but you can see why people do it. Such a simple thing.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #23548 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 13:50:45 »

It more than mildly annoys me that people can't take their own fucking litter home.

Every time I take my kids to the park there are discarded cans, bottles, sweet wrappers, crisp packets, takeaway cartons, etc. etc.

I was actually at the park the other day and a group of young lads (I'd say age 12 or so) were quite happy to finish off their cans of drink and kick them into the grass right in front of me.

It makes my piss boil. Do they think it's all going to magically find its way into a bin?
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #23549 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 13:55:04 »

Oh don't get me wrong, I hate littering too. I'd never do it. It just annoys me I HAVE to carry it with me. In a public place like a train station you think there'd be a bin. It's not like I'm in the middle of the woods.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Pages: 1 ... 1567 1568 1569 [1570] 1571 1572 1573 ... 2656   Go Up
Print
Jump to: