Pages: 1 ... 1558 1559 1560 [1561] 1562 1563 1564 ... 2656   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5094177 times)
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #23400 on: Thursday, June 9, 2016, 11:08:52 »

It's not a stupid law and there's only one person to blame (besides Halliwell, of course): The copper who didn't follow the fucking rules.
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #23401 on: Thursday, June 9, 2016, 11:58:37 »

It's not a stupid law and there's only one person to blame (besides Halliwell, of course): The copper who didn't follow the fucking rules.
It's a stupid law when a man can lead you to a body of a murder victim and then years later plead not guilty all because of a few fucking words. Every now and then you have to break a rule to get the best outcome
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #23402 on: Thursday, June 9, 2016, 12:04:26 »

He's going to be representing himself - he'll be convicted.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #23403 on: Thursday, June 9, 2016, 12:06:08 »

Every now and then you have to break a rule to get the best outcome
That could have been the motto of most forces in the 60s and 70s. Which is exactly why PACE had to be introduced.
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #23404 on: Thursday, June 9, 2016, 12:27:26 »

That could have been the motto of most forces in the 60s and 70s. Which is exactly why PACE had to be introduced.
It's bollocks Paul. There is a massive difference between forcing false confessions and some cunt leading you to a body that the police were not even looking for

Ignore
« Reply #23405 on: Thursday, June 9, 2016, 12:29:21 »

It's a stupid law when a man can lead you to a body of a murder victim and then years later plead not guilty all because of a few fucking words. Every now and then you have to break a rule to get the best outcome

It was a stupid mistake by the copper. He had the right man and would have got the info from him anyway by the looks of it.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #23406 on: Thursday, June 9, 2016, 13:00:00 »

In my opinion Fulcher wanted to be a hero. He released details to the media far too quickly for example.

The police could have got the wrong person (they didn't but they could have). Let's say they prise a 'confession' from someone having basically bullied them for hours and put them under such psychological pressure and making them think they would be better off to confess. It's the sort of stuff you see Derren Brown proving can happen on his shows.

Halliwell was arrested by junior officers who properly conducted a brief urgent interview with him in a police car. The defendant gave nothing away and they set off for the station. Before they arrived, Fulcher diverted the car to what was thought to have been the scene of the crime so that the detective could ‘continue’ the urgent interview himself. After speaking to Halliwell for nine minutes in contravention of the PACE codes, Fulcher persuaded him to show searchers where O’Callaghan’s body was buried.

At this point, Fulcher told Halliwell he was to be arrested. But Halliwell then told Fulcher, in effect, that he could take him where another body had been buried. That enabled the police to find Godden-Edwards, whose disappearance in 2004 had never been reported to them. Finally, Halliwell was arrested and driven to the police station, where he refused to answer questions on legal advice.

The murder suspect had been denied access to a lawyer for four hours. He had not been reminded of his right to silence.

Source: http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/analysis/ignoring-pace-was-not-brave/67944.fullarticle

This is coercion, not police work. What if they had the wrong person? It's great they didn't but this is why the rules exist:

The following is from a transcript taken by a civilian police worker of the interview between DSupt Fulcher and Halliwell. It was read during a pre-trial court hearing (the accuracy apparently was never an issue).

“DSupt Steve Fulcher: ‘Are you going to tell me where Sian is?’
Christopher Halliwell: ‘I don’t know anything.’
SF: ‘Are you going to show me where Sian is? What’s going to happen? If you tell us where Sian is – that whatever you will be portrayed – you would have done the right thing.’
CH: ‘I want to go to the station.’
SF: ‘Are you prepared to tell me where Sian is?’
CH: ‘You think I did it.’
SF: ‘I know you did it.’
CH: ‘Can I go to the station?’
SF: ‘You can go to the station. What will happen is that you will be vilified. If you tell me where Sian is, you would have done the right thing.’
CH: ‘I want to speak to a solicitor.’
SF: ‘You are being given an opportunity to tell me where Sian is. In one hour’s time you will be in the press.’”

Source: http://www.halsburyslawexchange.co.uk/police-mistakes-in-the-halliwell-case-is-it-time-for-a-change-of-pace/

Talk about overstepping the mark.
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #23407 on: Thursday, June 9, 2016, 13:06:37 »

I really do understand all that and yes certain procedures are there incase of false confessions but when as i say he has taken you to the site where a murder victim is a better judgement is needed.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #23408 on: Thursday, June 9, 2016, 13:11:31 »

Its an almighty mess, however after all the fuss about the investigation why has it come to court now, I assume the CPS have something they feel they can depend on now over and above that obtained following the earlier arrest?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #23409 on: Thursday, June 9, 2016, 13:14:14 »

You can't establish if it was the right thing to do until after the fact. Just like we don't honestly know if he'd have told the police about the other body when he was at the station
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #23410 on: Thursday, June 9, 2016, 21:16:19 »

Hayfever

Roaming the land while you sleep..
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #23411 on: Thursday, June 9, 2016, 23:40:30 »

I class hay fever like peanut allergies, there were no such things when I was a kid, somebody somewhere did something that fucked up a couple of generations, But I reckon the best cure is to go mow the grass twice a week. My daughter had bad Asthma and severe nut allergies. So I got a cat, and starting her on vegetable kormas. 3 years on, no allergies, don't quote/sue me but I bet the lawnmower works!
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #23412 on: Friday, June 10, 2016, 00:07:41 »

I class hay fever like peanut allergies, there were no such things when I was a kid, somebody somewhere did something that fucked up a couple of generations, But I reckon the best cure is to go mow the grass twice a week. My daughter had bad Asthma and severe nut allergies. So I got a cat, and starting her on vegetable kormas. 3 years on, no allergies, don't quote/sue me but I bet the lawnmower works!

I've only suffered from it as an adult.. as a kid it never bothered me.. made me feel week as a bloody kitten this week!

Incidently, I mowed the lawn today.. I'll keep you posted on that theory.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #23413 on: Friday, June 10, 2016, 05:41:27 »

Ive been mowing the lawn every 2 weeks at my place and it hasnt helped! Bloody horrible thing hayfever.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #23414 on: Friday, June 10, 2016, 10:14:08 »

As a kid the CG extension was my playground.  When the gang mower had been over, there was loads of fresh cut grass, so we'd make it into an all mighty pile and then bury people in it. After a while you'd notice the temperature rise as it started turning into silage....definitely better fresh. I've never had hay fever... Hmmm
Pages: 1 ... 1558 1559 1560 [1561] 1562 1563 1564 ... 2656   Go Up
Print
Jump to: