Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Why do you support Swindon Town?  (Read 30647 times)
Rich Pullen

« Reply #105 on: Friday, August 21, 2009, 20:06:54 »

I dad was a coach driver for Silver Knight. He certainly did Swindon away games and definately Leicester at Wembley.

Did they not provide the open-top bus for the parade? They used to sponsor Glenn Hoddle and Kevin Horlock if my memory serves me right.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Friday, August 21, 2009, 20:22:42 »

4th generation Town fan and my Dad was on the books for a while as a youth.  Got taken in 1981 and then started being taken properly from about 1984.  My brother is also hooked for the same reasons and my Dan and Mum are still fans as well.  i converted my wife from Reading and plans are already in motion on my 4 month old son (daughter has a passing interest but hates sport).
gladiator

« Reply #107 on: Friday, August 21, 2009, 21:15:56 »

In 1962 i use to catch the Train from Chalford (when there was a station) to go Train spotting  on Swindon Station 
at about 2 oclock a special train from Chalford use to arrive and people would get off with Red & White Scarfs on and then the special train would leave at about 6 back to Chalford
I was fasinated by this got talking to some of the older people from the village and found out they went to the County ground asked my Parents if I could go and they asked some Adult from the village would they take care of me and off i went to watch Bert Heads babes
So began my 47 year passion for the Town have lived in Dublin for last 25 year + years but still make several trips home and during the season time these to take in a match or 2
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Friday, August 21, 2009, 21:52:45 »

Good first post Gladiator.

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Friday, August 21, 2009, 22:01:36 »

i remember the silver knight coaches too,but never used them.they were seperate from the travel club coaches which myself and my mates went on.we used to bus into town from west swindon on an evening to book our places on the coaches for the upcoming matches.

i used to go all over the place back then following town,and remember the stuff people have mentioned on the last few pages regarding our away following and atmosphere at home.we still have a healthy away following but back then we took loads and created loads of noise on our travels.good times
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 08:53:37 »

I dad was a coach driver for Silver Knight. He certainly did Swindon away games and definately Leicester at Wembley.

Did they not provide the open-top bus for the parade? They used to sponsor Glenn Hoddle and Kevin Horlock if my memory serves me right.
I mujst have known your dad then Rich, we never missed an away game for years always travelling on Silver Knight.  What was his name?  As regards the open top bus, yes I think Barry did have one that he kept for special events, I know he also boasted he had to do the Reading open top parade, that tickled him a bit.  Silver Knight and SAS did sponsor Glen, I thought John Moncur was another one they sponsored.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 08:57:14 »

On a slightly different note, I remember being on one of the buses stopped by police at a motorway junction (think it might have been Sheffield Utd away) ready for a police escoprt straight to the ground.  All coaches were meant to try and aim to get to the junction for the same time but we were one missing.  After waiting for about 25 minutes the missing bus appeared - it was an Ellisons coach and was coming back down the motorway having got lost!!!
Family at War

Midfield Maestro

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 09:14:06 »

Remember using the coaches from Wantage in the sixties when my dad was working. A great day out on Chandlers boneshakers in the sixties.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 13:31:09 »

Swindon born, as was my dad and his dad and his dad and his dad etc etc all Town fans.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #114 on: Monday, August 24, 2009, 08:44:14 »

Swindon born, as was my dad and his dad and his dad and his dad etc etc all Town fans.

5th generation Swindonian? No wonder you're so bloody depressing.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Monday, August 24, 2009, 09:12:39 »

It's what makes Dave so sensible...
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Monday, August 24, 2009, 10:14:15 »

we got the family tree as far back as 6th but who knows about the rest.

It's what makes Dave so sensible...

reg knows what he's talking about!
whatdoesntkillme

« Reply #117 on: Monday, August 24, 2009, 11:01:15 »

I remember my first game, not coming from a football supporting family it was quite late in life. 1992 i think. I was 10.
Got the bus from park south to the just before the magic roundabout. Absolutley shitting myself, didnt know what to expect. Id never been to any live football match before. Got my ticket in the town end, right behind the goal. Town against Barnsley. Craig Maskell penalty if I remember rightly after only a few minutes. We won 1-0. That was it I had the bug, didnt shut up when I got home, done my dads nut in, I must have had the only dad in the world that didnt like football??

Went to town probably another 5 or 6 times that season but after that the arkells quid a kid etc kicked in, i went every week. Got myself a paperround which then enable me to go home and away.

One of the posts above I remember being stopped on the motorway. It was the season we wiped the floor with everyone else and got rewarded with that dodgy petrol green shirt (one hanging in my dining room!!) i think it was early on and carlisle or something like that? not sure it was sheff utd??

Gave the town a miss for a few years whilst running a local football team, had the likes of Nutty, the Holgates, Chrissy Rivers plying their trade in the wilts so it felt at the time I had my own town team anyway!!! Sad i know.

Back now with a season ticket, and loving every minute of it!!
westcountry

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Monday, August 24, 2009, 11:09:09 »

very very interesting thread i must say

tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Monday, August 24, 2009, 15:15:58 »

Was born in Kent.

Old man is a town fan through and through, been going for years. We then moved to Essex. Managed to blag free tickets to Southend v Swindon at Roots Hall in 91/92 season Smiley. We lost that day, but then I was hooked. Moved to Oxon after that and the rest is history...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: