Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Why do you support Swindon Town?  (Read 30567 times)
flammableBen

« Reply #60 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 17:36:52 »

That's true. Don't think it's covered by the NHS either.
Maidenhead Red

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 17:38:52 »

I support Swindon because when my parents split up when I was about 15 my Dad moved there. When I went to visit my dad we would go to watch town play. The first game I went to see was Swindon v Brentford (I think). I remember us winning 3-0 though and i've been hooked for the last 10 years! we both go to every home and away game possible now and have done for a while.
« Last Edit: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 17:55:56 by Maidenhead Red » Logged

Follow me on Twitter @Ian_Green83
swindon_chick

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 17:40:34 »

I got tickets when I was at Junior school and got my Grandad to take me as he is the only one of the family in Swindon that likes football(Rest are Cockneys)! Been going ever since really!!
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 17:53:01 »

Dad's a town fan, has been all his life, he managed to get my grandad hooked some time ago too.  It honestly never occured to me to support anyone else.

First game was in '85 ish, against sunderland i think, upon leaving dad asks if i enjoyed it, i said i liked the first game but the second was boring.
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 17:57:07 »

I was born in Poxford and have lived in North Poxfordshire all my life. But thank the lord my grandfather (RIP) was from Wantage and an avid Town fan. He took my dad to games from the late 1950's onwards.

I attended my first Swindon match in 1987 and thats where the love affair began..
Rich Pullen

« Reply #65 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 18:14:10 »

...My early Town experiences were very "Fever Pitch" because if I was at a Swindon Town game it was because it was due to my dads one-weekend-a-month divorce settlement thing and even then it was only if it was Kid-a-Quid or because dad really wanted to see a certain match!

I've never, ever been a regular to the County Ground but I've been addicted since I was six years old.
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 18:16:06 »

Born and bred in Chippenham. Supported Liverpool as a nipper in the 70's and begged my dad to take me to a game. As a non-football fan, he refused. I kept nagging. So he took me to Swindon. 1977, against Sheffield Utd, we won 3-2. That was it, the start of a 32 year old love affair, and still going strong.

My dad has never been to another game since.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 18:23:10 »

Born in Swindon and my Great Grandfather (Bob Menham) played in goal for them at the start of the 20th Century so have family ties
http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/footprint/StrangeButTrue.asp
And indeed your great grandad features on the fith one down on this link!

As for me i was born in Southampton.......but braught up in Swindon mainly,my first ever match had me hooked and i spent many years going to most away matches as well.....i dont get the same buzz watching any other team play......including England.

ReadingRed

Pragmatist clapper

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 18:26:08 »

Born and bred in Melksham. Brownings used to run a coach to home games, and my dad took me along to see Swindon v Leeds in 1962-63 and I was hooked.

The scary thing is, Brownings also used to run a coach to Bristol City home games too... the thought that Dad might have taken me there instead, and I might have become a slave trader, is almost to terrible to countenance.
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 18:32:09 »

Born in Swindon, moved away when i was 20 months old, not that i remember that.

My Dad watched from the early 50's on the stratton bank, went with his dad, i went to my first match aged 8 in 1976 (on a family visit back to Swindon) and we beat Shrewsbury 3-0, Don Rogers played (one of his few second appearances) but i can't remember much about it at all.

My main memories from that age are my uncle dropping my granddad and me off in his council van, and whilst he went to park, my granddad went to buy his fags from the corner shop then off up into the North Stand where the most mild mannered man you could ever meet smoked his way through the whole packet, and showed me where he let all his aggression out, did he get stressed/angry etc!

I've always followed Swindon although i didn't see many matches till i turned 18 and got my first car, so i could get to the county ground more easily. Luckily for me i timed that just right as the next few years were some of the best Town have experienced and i saw most of the matches.

Don't get to so many matches now, money/mortgage/family all come into it, but still can't beat the excitement of watching town.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #70 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 18:35:08 »

Bob Menham had a cracking moustache too Smiley
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 18:53:07 »

Was born in Reading but moved to Chippenham when I was 2...  stayed there til I was about 9, then just after I moved away I got into football in a big way, and had an urge to go see Swindon play.  Saw a dire 1-0 home defeat against Oldham despite Oldham having 10 men after about 20 minutes...  I was hooked!  My dad took me that week but couldn't take me the following week, so endured a 6 hour round train journey to see us beat Mansfield 2-1 at home and end a 7 game losing streak...  I believe Eric Sabin scored the winner!  Cheesy
adje

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 19:45:07 »

Its an hereditary illness which I have now passed on to my lad

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 19:47:15 »

Leefer, is Bob Menham any relation to John Menham, the celebrity disabled supporter who never seemed to miss a game home or away.  I know his father died a couple of years ago, so don't know whether he goes any more.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 19:56:11 »

as christy hasn't beaten me to it...

i go because my dad gradually brainwashed me.

he moved to oxfordshire from ireland as a little boy, started going on (cherry's?) coach to swindon from west oxon and has been going ever since.

my first game was in 1990 but never really went regularly until i saw us play in feb 2002 when we drew 0-0 against reading and became more interested. started going with my dad, then got involved with running the scoreboard and things have gone downhill ever since.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: