Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Why do you support Swindon Town?  (Read 30644 times)
DerbyRed

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 20:09:40 »

Was born at PMH,and lived in Hungerford up until I was 19.

Was a bit of a late starter with football, started getting into it when I was about 8-9 and my parents friends took me to a few West Brom games - but only a couple of a season.

Then at the start of the 94-95 season me and a mate were going to start getting the train into Reading to start watching games at Elm Park but my Mum wouldn't let me (thanks Mum!).  But as a compromise my Dad took me to start seeing Town as they were our local team - was in about Oct/Nov 94 vs Tranmere and we drew 2-2.

After that my Dad would take me 3-4 times a season until I was old enough to drive myself and started following us home and away as much as possible!

Wouldn't change it for the world - and can't thank my Mum enough for stopping me from becoming a plastic fan!!
Doore

« Reply #76 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 20:11:32 »

There's a lot of "thanks Dad" on this thread, including from myself - nice to see a Mum getting an honourable mention!
PHIL!!!!
Our Resident Emo Kid

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 20:11:48 »

Lived in Wootton Bassett all my life, so it makes sense, and despite half the family (the Northern side....) takin me to a few Man United games as a kid, i saw sense and soon enough caught the Swindon bug  :] Boooyah!

Bassett Bulldogs FC - http://bassettbulldogsfc.co.uk/
PHIL!!!!
Our Resident Emo Kid

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 20:13:33 »

There's a lot of "thanks Dad" on this thread, including from myself - nice to see a Mum getting an honourable mention!
Ah yeah, it was my Mum as well who, despite being from 'the Northern side' of the family, took me to Swindon games as a youngster. So.....Thanks Mum!

Bassett Bulldogs FC - http://bassettbulldogsfc.co.uk/
Rich Pullen

« Reply #79 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 20:18:41 »

My dad didn't take me enough... Shame on him.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 20:58:51 »

mum and dad lived in Burford and supported the Town but i was born in Scumford.
Loads of mates are Scum fans sowas torn between who to support.

Dad took me to see Swindon v Oxford ('89 i think) and basically said whoever wins you support.
Swindon won 3.0 and the rest is history.

That was my first match too....I stood in the Town End. Four of us went together (one was an Oxford fan) he was mocked well during the journey home  Cheesy
westcountry

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 21:40:46 »

Lived in Melksham, uncle who is Town fan used to take me when i was 5,

had trials for Swindon in goal when i was 7, got into matches for free, used to come odd game untill was 12,

12-17 had season tickets

when was 17 went first away game, city away 2-1 win, been hooked since, love swindon
« Last Edit: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 21:46:37 by westcountry » Logged

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 21:44:45 »

this thread is a really good read
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 21:48:26 »

Born in Swindon and my Great Grandfather (Bob Menham) played in goal for them at the start of the 20th Century so have family ties

You n
Dad supported Swindon, took me as a small child to see a thrilling 0-0 versus Hull City in 1979 (Steve MacLaren was in the Hull team) been hooked ever since.....
I probably went to a few of his games.

It was the same score in 1969 (69/70 season), but holy crap did Hull have a midfield.
JanAageisGod

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Friday, August 21, 2009, 09:20:29 »

I think I am typical-ish. My parents are both from Swindon though they've never lived there while I have been alive. I have been stuck in Surrey.

The first live game my dad ever took me to see was a home game with Fulham which I can remember nothing about other than thinking a) aren't the stands huge (I was 6 or 7 I think) and b) there were some Fulham fans sitting in front of us.

I did spend far too much time as a kid taking an interest in Nottingham Forest but for some reason in my teenage years I guess I was looking for something to do so I for some ill defined reason I went to see us play Charlton at Upton Park having dragged a friend along. The atmosphere seemed cracking and it was Hoddle style beautiful football though we lost, so I was hooked. I bumped into Donkey wearing a Swindon shirt in my local pub shortly afterwards and it just meant we each had someone to bore silly who actually gave a toss.

So, er, here I still am..

jimmy_onions

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Friday, August 21, 2009, 09:29:38 »

Born in Cardiff but brought up in Swindon from age of 2 onwards. My parents not the slightly bit interested in football but friends dad took me to quite a few games when I was really young, Alan Mayes days etc (cheers Malcolm Smith if you are on here!). On the whole found it cold and boring! However, for some reason got back into it at age of 14, 15 or so.

This was the mid to lates 80's, the time of Lou, both the town end and south stand as terraces (and often rammed), amazing atmospheres, away games with more town fans than home fans. I guarantee any 14, 15 year old in that situation would be hooked.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #86 on: Friday, August 21, 2009, 09:37:42 »

Swindon born and bred.

With no real father figure about I didn't get into football at all until about 14-ish when I started going with a friend from school. I think to begin with it was more to do with escapism from a crappy family life than actually wanting to watch the footy. I started going at just the right time though as it was the end of the Ardiles era and the beginning of the Hoddle one, I was spoilt in that regard.

I remember from my bedroom in park south I could often hear a whole load of noise coming from the CG, especially during the mid-week matches. I just had no idea then just how successful we were at the time.

So yeah, after a while I started getting into it more and began thinking of certain players as my favourite's and it grew from there really.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Friday, August 21, 2009, 09:51:36 »

Born in Cardiff but brought up in Swindon from age of 2 onwards. My parents not the slightly bit interested in football but friends dad took me to quite a few games when I was really young, Alan Mayes days etc (cheers Malcolm Smith if you are on here!). On the whole found it cold and boring! However, for some reason got back into it at age of 14, 15 or so.

This was the mid to lates 80's, the time of Lou, both the town end and south stand as terraces (and often rammed), amazing atmospheres, away games with more town fans than home fans. I guarantee any 14, 15 year old in that situation would be hooked.

exactly, shrivvy road surging, nothing on this earth beats it
Barnard

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Friday, August 21, 2009, 09:55:20 »

My eldest brother started going a lot during the late 70's and early 80's with a load of his mates from school. He started taking me to the odd game during the 4th division championship season under Macari, I wasn't all that fussed really.

Then aged 14 he took me to a cup tie at the County ground V's Leeds. It had everything, packed stadium, big name opposition, great atmosphere, a little bit of trouble with the away fans on the Stratton bank. We went 1-0 up through Dave bamber but lost the game 2-1 to a couple of (iirc) deflections. I was hooked. The following day at school I kept singing football songs to myself and couldn't wait to go again.

From then on I went with lads from school in Calne, Brian Hillier's son was in the year below me at school and played for the same football team as me on a Sunday, so there were often complimentary tickets for games available and as a result quite a few of us used to take the Thomas's coach from outside the London Road Inn to games. This carried on until I left school and moved away to South Wales (where raves and nightclubs took over from from football for a while). I moved back to Calne several years later and started going again, but most of the lads I used to go with don't go any more, although I still see them dotted around the ground for bigger games.

My brother no longer goes, and says he's not bothered anymore, but i'm taking revenge by taking his 11yr old son to games now and then. Wish I'd taken him Tuesday night.
jimmy_onions

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Friday, August 21, 2009, 10:04:00 »

exactly, shrivvy road surging, nothing on this earth beats it

Sorry to go off on a tangent slightly, but; back in those days there were often alternating chants between the shrivvy and the town end, not dissimilar to what happens now occasionally. I recall one occasion when someone in the shrivvy road terrace climbed up to the top of the perimeter fence and faced the fans (back to the game) and began conducting the rest of the fans in their songs and chants....quality.
« Last Edit: Friday, August 21, 2009, 10:06:03 by jimmy_onions » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: