Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Why do you support Swindon Town?  (Read 30673 times)
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 13:59:05 »

I live 5 mins from the CG. Family not interested in football, but went with a mate of my dad's for my first game in Jan '81 (v Exeter, 3-1 win). Would go on and off in the next few years, but in October '84 joined the Junior Robins (paying 50p a game), and I haven't missed a home game since (includes friendlies and tin pot trophy games).

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
REDBUCK

« Reply #46 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 15:00:46 »

Family Connections for me, Parents were married in St James Church and was born in Malmesbury. (No i don't have six toes )

Have lived in and around North Somerset for 30 years, supported Leeds as a boy, saw them a few times at Trashton Gate in Shitty's Div 1 days. First Swindon live game with my dad in 76, Grimsby 3-0 home wn. Been doing the 100 mile round trip for most home games ever since. Made for great banter at school.

Hammer

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 15:02:11 »

Born and bred in Swindon. Family moved to the town in the 19th century. My grandad took me to my first game in 1968 but then, from the age of 12, used to go in the Town End on my own. The pride, already instilled by the Arsenal & Roma games, was cemented when 3 Sheff Utd kids tried to nick my scarf & bobble hat. The ensuing tussle spilled onto the TE car park where one of them wrecked his head on a car bumper having accidentally tripped, honest officer innit. Haven't lived in Swindon for 30 years but my heart is still there.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 15:08:34 »

I was born in Swindon and my Dad's supported the Town all his life and he took me to my first Swindon game in '86. Although the first 'proper' professional game I saw was the world famous derby grudge match between Forfar and Arbroath, whilst on holiday.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 15:19:03 »

I live 5 mins from the CG. Family not interested in football, but went with a mate of my dad's for my first game in Jan '81 (v Exeter, 3-1 win). Would go on and off in the next few years, but in October '84 joined the Junior Robins (paying 50p a game), and I haven't missed a home game since (includes friendlies and tin pot trophy games).

That's an incredible record.  No idea how you manage it.  I know I never could.
JOHNNY REEVES

« Reply #50 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 15:59:49 »

after saturday i wondered why,
after tuesday i knew why.
Hammer

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 16:07:44 »

That's an incredible record.  No idea how you manage it.  I know I never could.
 Indeed an achievement. There's a guy who lives & works near me who hasn't missed a single Burnley match in 35 years. If he can't get a lift to a home game (45 miles) then he cycles. He's adopted the surname 'Burnley' : things came to the crunch when he wanted to name his daughter Clarette Ann Blue. His wife won the toss. Now simply Clarette Burnley...and she aint getting a bike for Christmas !
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 16:15:08 »

My dad always enjoyed a bet (Nashwan bought us a washing machine one, for example), and for the Derby, Oaks and Grand National I got to choose a horse, my dad paid the bet, but of course if it won I got the winnings (including stake money).  So at the age of 11 my dad asks me who I think will win all four divisions.  I pick Liverpool in the First, Shrewsbury (!) in the second, can't remember the Third, and Swindon in the Fourth.

I'm sure by now you can guess which season this was...as the season progressed, Swindon kept on winning before returning a record number of points.  My dad's bet was in the bag, finally after taking his winnings I was giving something back...except...in his own words 'I'm not stupid enough to put money on what an 11 year old says.'

I, however, have spent an absurd amount of money based on what an 11 year old says, although as that 11 was me, I guess I can have no complaints.

I have no connections to Swindon or Wiltshire, indeed my first trip to Swindon was to the CG and I have never gone to Swindon for any other reason.  A disucssion with Lucien Sanchez, leads me to think I have only spent 3 or 4 nights in Swindon in my entire life.  Still, see you at Wolves.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 16:19:23 »

Haha, cracking story Donkey!
Anteater

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 16:56:34 »

I was born in Cirencester and moved to Swindon when a tot. Both my brothers are staunch Town fans and would have beaten the shit out of me if I didn't follow (fair enough I guess !). First game as a six year old was V Northampton at the CG and I got gobbed on by a Northampton bone head (don't think he was actually aiming at me) so felt truly initiated, my bruv that took me thought this was hilarious.....and Town won as well !
penhill red

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 17:06:14 »

I support Swindon because i was born and bred here and believe you should support your home town team. Swindon born, Swindon bred, stron in the arm and thick in the head.

If "Practice makes perfect" and "nobody is perfect" why bother waste time practicing when there is beer to be drank.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 17:29:50 »

Born right out in the sticks at the mighty Hankerton.  Always interested in sport, parents moved down from London at the end of the 2nd world war.  Mother was an Arsenal fan, father West Ham.  I "adopted" Swindon when I contracted a mild dose of tb and had to travel to Swindon once a month to have it checked out.  I am sure we went to Milton Road for that.  Followed the town ever since, about 55 years now!  Even travelled back from East Anglia on a fairly regular basis to watch "my" team for 14 years before moving back to Swindon in 1987 and got a season ticket for the first time in 1988, which I kept up for many years until I became a little pissed off with the King years.  Back with a season ticket for the last two years although a certain Bushey Boy was responsible for my falling in love with STFC again!
Doore

« Reply #57 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 17:31:56 »

Dad a season ticket holder since the sixties with a few years break in the 80s - moved away for work.  I was brought up in Swindon and he took me for the first time in 1990 - a draw with Blackburn if I remember rightly.  Never looked back.  Stopped going a year ago as I couldn't afford the travel and I'm moving to Shropshire.  Dad still going strong and I get back when I can.

Don't think you ever lose the bug once you've caught it.
flammableBen

« Reply #58 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 17:34:06 »

Supporting Swindon is a lot like having the aids.
Doore

« Reply #59 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 17:35:01 »

Supporting Swindon is a lot like having the aids.

Well no - clearly its not as common.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: