Pages: 1 ... 476 477 478 [479] 480 481 482 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1222287 times)
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #7170 on: Saturday, January 30, 2021, 12:41:19 »

Way beyond my pay grade but quite an interesting read. https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1354995265426616321.html

Rather counters the idea that ‘Oh, the UK was unlucky with the variant, poor Boris Johnson is just a victim of circumstances’. Those circumstances were created by the failures of the UK government.
Not sure it was an interesting read to be honest. The main point is that we may have to vaccinate everyone worldwide and join together to rid the world of COVID-19. If we don't we will have to change our way of life and stop travelling abroad or stop people coming here and be completely xenophobic.

I don't like political points scoring when there is a pandemic on. The fact of the matter is that who ever is in charge would struggle with this stuff and would make a number of mistakes along the way. It doesn't matter what political party they are from.

We are a massively cosmopolitan outward facing country, which is why we are so vulnerable. Things have got to be pretty damn serious to turn the economy off, lock the country down and close all of the borders. Its common sense not to go to the nuclear option first off - Try everything else that you can first and then relent if you have to. Everyone gets that, surely?

We're a small island too with high population densities in poorer areas. We allow multiple cultures to flourish on our island and we have communities (that it turns out are vulnerable to this disease) living in close proximity to each other. We have a very good health service that has kept many vulnerable people alive that may not have survived in other countries. I think that might account for at least a bit of the high death count.

I've watched people argue about Brexit on here too - Looks like we got a head start on vaccination over Europe. Looks like Europe wants to stop us from getting vaccines and protect themselves first. I wanted to stay - we didn't. We move forward, but I don't see many giving any credit for our preparations on that front.

Anyway, without all of the information to hand at the time decisions are made, internet 'heroes' (and I don't mean you horlock, I'm just quoting a bit from your post) cannot possibly productively second guess key decisions.

Leadership is all about making a decision (when there is no clear choice) and then performing course corrections when you get it wrong - Because, often you will. The best leaders make fewer mistakes and correct errors quicker. But, just like with many diseases, nobody in immune from mistakes!

(Sorry, just in a ranty mood this morning....Made me feel better getting that off my chest!)
« Last Edit: Saturday, January 30, 2021, 12:42:59 by Nomoreheroes » Logged

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #7171 on: Saturday, January 30, 2021, 13:07:06 »

Aunty Ursula has made a grovelling phone call to Boris and sent in the storm troopers to the unelected Bureacrats who tried to ride roughshod over the NI protocol art16. Didn’t take em long did it?
It’s all a bit quiet about that on here, isn’t it?  Hmmm
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7172 on: Saturday, January 30, 2021, 13:15:54 »

I don't blame the EU for trying it on to get their quota. I'd expect nothing less if it was the other way around..

That said, being selfish. not our problem
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #7173 on: Saturday, January 30, 2021, 13:57:44 »

I don't blame the EU for trying it on to get their quota. I'd expect nothing less if it was the other way around..

That said, being selfish. not our problem
So, potentially a bloody good job we are out of it?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7174 on: Saturday, January 30, 2021, 14:06:31 »

no, not at all.

the government has got the vaccine strategy right though, credit where it's due
STFC_Manc

Ignore
« Reply #7175 on: Sunday, January 31, 2021, 10:30:29 »

Way beyond my pay grade but quite an interesting read. https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1354995265426616321.html

Rather counters the idea that ‘Oh, the UK was unlucky with the variant, poor Boris Johnson is just a victim of circumstances’. Those circumstances were created by the failures of the UK government.

Isn't this person missing a vital point, that the more we vaccinate the more likely it will mutate otherwise it won't survive?
Panda Paws

« Reply #7176 on: Sunday, January 31, 2021, 11:30:27 »

Specifically to the vaccine, Johnson made the right call in not joining the EU vaccine programme in July, and its only benefit so far of brexit.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #7177 on: Sunday, January 31, 2021, 11:32:59 »

So a neighbour had a party. Over Friday night until Saturday afternoon. Reported twice online. Rang 101. Nothing came of it, no police nothing. Angry to say the least.

I'm not a grass but they do this on a regular basis.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Flashheart

« Reply #7178 on: Sunday, January 31, 2021, 11:45:56 »

So a neighbour had a party. Over Friday night until Saturday afternoon. Reported twice online. Rang 101. Nothing came of it, no police nothing. Angry to say the least.

I'm not a grass but they do this on a regular basis.

I don't keep up to date with the rules, but isn't the limit 15? I know it's a ridiculous number and it doesn't make them any less selfish, but were they over the limit? There's nowt the police can do otherwise.
Panda Paws

« Reply #7179 on: Sunday, January 31, 2021, 11:48:42 »

Limit? The limit is zero? No households should be mixing. Or am I being whooshed?
« Last Edit: Sunday, January 31, 2021, 11:56:24 by Panda Paws » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7180 on: Sunday, January 31, 2021, 11:49:49 »

yeah, 0 limit unless in a bubble.
Flashheart

« Reply #7181 on: Sunday, January 31, 2021, 11:59:40 »

Like I said, I don't really keep up, but this is fairly recent

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55757807
Broadbents Tackle

TEF Historian

Ignore
« Reply #7182 on: Sunday, January 31, 2021, 12:02:22 »

It was another example of terrible messaging from the government. The limit is zero, but the fines make it appear you can have up to fifteen in a property.

Whether your eyes are green, brown, blue, let me see a little bit of red in 'em.
Panda Paws

« Reply #7183 on: Sunday, January 31, 2021, 12:05:15 »

Its really not. Every single person I know knows you can't mix households.

The only thing that is slightly lost is in that reporting of it, not the rules themselves. Everyone knows we're in lockdown and you can't see people.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7184 on: Sunday, January 31, 2021, 12:08:55 »

yeah, it's just an increase in fines for certain breach criteria.

0 is the limit
Pages: 1 ... 476 477 478 [479] 480 481 482 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: