Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Best atmosphere you've experienced at a game  (Read 8176 times)
Melksham Red

« Reply #30 on: Thursday, January 13, 2005, 20:27:24 »

To be honest it's difficult to pick the best atmosphere, there's been so many.

The days of Shrivvy Road when away fans had the wedge the atmosphere was great almost every week.  I remember being totally surprised by it sometimes. In my first season going to games I went to a West Brom game expecting fuck all. When I turned up I was totally taken aback, I was met with a 12,500 crowd and an electric atmosphere. And that was a 0-0 draw. Quite often it;s best when you least expect it.
Spencer_White

« Reply #31 on: Thursday, January 13, 2005, 20:38:51 »

Exactly my reaction when we started going. Id say to myself, aged 10, why are so many of these people so excited every week, every game? You could rely on them whatever the game. That was Swindon. The length of the chants was sometimes spellbinding. I wasnt sure if I was a Swindon fan or not at first. After about 3 games in 1992 I knew WHAT I WAS!

My first game was 1992, I had watched loads of football games on TV, but I was completely unprepared for it. It seemed to offer so much more to look at than the telly. I wonder if todays youngsters feel the same way? I hope they do, because the march of Premiership Pub Telly seems almost unstoppable.
Melksham Red

« Reply #32 on: Thursday, January 13, 2005, 21:24:42 »

I knew the first moment I ever stepped into the CG. I reckon it's still like that for youngsters going for the first time nowadays. You can only hope they discover live footy before they end up being plastic armchair idiots who think they are supporters. God how I hate those twats who think they're fans but have never been to a game, or only been once. Fucking idiots. They really have no clue.
Amir

« Reply #33 on: Thursday, January 13, 2005, 21:29:27 »

I caught the bug straight away as well.  Was taken to City before that and strangely didn't.  In fact I think it was City away in 94 that made me want to travel every game for a time.

This thread has also reminded me of one of my only regrets in life..........never standing at the CG when I had the chance.
Melksham Red

« Reply #34 on: Thursday, January 13, 2005, 21:41:09 »

Youve missed out matey. Ive stood in all parts of the CG and have to say those shrivvy Road days were the best. Oxford always being the best. I think I collected about a tenner in coins at my first Oxford game, I was only 10.
Sussex

« Reply #35 on: Thursday, January 13, 2005, 21:44:36 »

First ever game.

I was 16, so 89/90, and it was against Leighton Orient. I was right at the front behind the right hand goal post and they had the 8ft fencing up - it was just after Hillsborough. Couldn't believe how close to the pitch we were.

Think we lost 2-1? - Over to Reg for confirmation on that!
Spencer_White

« Reply #36 on: Friday, January 14, 2005, 07:16:51 »

We also went to Reading about the same time, about 3 games at Elm Park that same season. But it didnt give me anything like the buzz I got at Swindon. I remmember shaking with excitement at Swindon.

I used to like to write down all the songs in my program. Swearing and all. Pure gold memories.
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, January 19, 2005, 16:06:27 »

2 seasons ago away at the valley against charlton in the league cup. our 2,000 fans didnt stop singing for more than about 10 seconds at a time througout the whole match which went to extra time and then penalties, which we won. my ears were ringing afterwards until the next morning, something which usually only happens at live music events when i'm close to a speaker.
chester3k

f
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, January 19, 2005, 17:16:33 »

it was a bit one sided, but does anyone think leeds (the first time when we almost won) last season was pretty good? when parkin scored our second goal i think that was my best ever moment as a town fan WENT eFFIN MENTAL!!

worst moment but not bad atmosphere was oxford when the scum beat us 1-0  Sad
Johno

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, January 19, 2005, 18:07:32 »

Quote from: "oxford_fan"
2 seasons ago away at the valley against charlton in the league cup. our 2,000 fans didnt stop singing for more than about 10 seconds at a time througout the whole match which went to extra time and then penalties, which we won. my ears were ringing afterwards until the next morning, something which usually only happens at live music events when i'm close to a speaker.

unusual that? oxford fans singing? but i believe you  Wink  Soapy Tit Wank

never forget when i was watching us win the second division championship (oxford finishing 2nd.. sweet!) standing in the stratton bank.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, January 19, 2005, 18:32:09 »

Quote from: "Sussex Red"
First ever game.

I was 16, so 89/90, and it was against Leighton Orient. I was right at the front behind the right hand goal post and they had the 8ft fencing up - it was just after Hillsborough. Couldn't believe how close to the pitch we were.

Well the last time we lost 2-1 to LO was in 63/64 season.....they're one of those clubs who we havn't played too many times in recent years.

In fact we've only played them one season 85/86 in the last 30 years...there was an LC fixture in 99/00....but that season is best confined to the dust bin of the mind.

Also an FA Cup game which we won through after a draw at Brisbane Road in about 91.

That was the tie where the first replay at the CG was abandoned beause of a frozen pitch when Adrian Whitbread went over a Chalkie "back" and spent the night in PMH.

Sure it was them and was it at teh CG?
Sussex

« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, January 19, 2005, 18:52:54 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
Quote from: "Sussex Red"
First ever game.

Well the last time we lost 2-1 to LO was in 63/64 season.....they're one of those clubs who we havn't played too many times in recent years.

In fact we've only played them one season 85/86 in the last 30 years...there was an LC fixture in 99/00....but that season is best confined to the dust bin of the mind.

Also an FA Cup game which we won through after a draw at Brisbane Road in about 91.

That was the tie where the first replay at the CG was abandoned beause of a frozen pitch when Adrian Whitbread went over a Chalkie "back" and spent the night in PMH.

Sure it was them and was it at teh CG?

Definately at the CG. I'm thinking it could have been against Port Vale though.

My first game so I was more interested in working out who the Town players were, rather than who we were playing.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, January 19, 2005, 19:08:17 »

Well we lost 2-1 at the CG to PV in 90/91 so its probably that , it would have been played in 90.
Sussex

« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, January 19, 2005, 19:10:45 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
Well we lost 2-1 at the CG to PV in 90/91 so its probably that , it would have been played in 90.

That'll be the one  Cheesy

Thanks Reg
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, January 19, 2005, 19:12:20 »

my first game was at the CG playing bristol city. The year we went up, it was 2-0 i think. always remember that, there was an old couple sat next to us that were city fans! They weren't too happy after telling us city would win.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: