Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Best atmosphere you've experienced at a game  (Read 8151 times)
townfangeezer

« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, January 12, 2005, 18:55:41 »

Other then the big playoff games, when we we beat coventry 3 -1 in the premiership with a jan hat trick, I remember this as the best game we played n the premiership.

other then town games, all England's euro 96 games where heaven sent  4 -1, magic!!!
Melksham Red

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, January 12, 2005, 19:33:02 »

Another i will never forget is Blackburn at home in the second leg of the 1990 PO semi. The amount of tickertape was unreal. For those that were there from the forum, remember on the pitch at the end singing "We are Ossie's red n' white army" and the north stand singing back at us. Fucking brilliant. I think that night was the only time i have ever really heard the WHOLE north stand sing along with the rest of the ground.
kizz

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, January 13, 2005, 11:16:30 »

Apart from Wembley, my all time fave was Wycombe away in the season when we won the 2nd div title. We were top of the league, we had filled the stand behind the goal (and part of the 'main' stand) and we were on our feet for 90 mins, non-stop singing... even during half time!
The team played excellently, and all the players came  over after the final whistle and spent ages applauding the fans!

Happy memories!

iven a level playing field (i.e. enough water so a shark could manouevre, but not so deep that a bear would flounder) who would win in a fight between a bear and a shark?
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, January 13, 2005, 11:22:20 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
Quote from: "STFCDude"
Swindon v Sunderland at Wembley in 1990, the way we held on after going 1-0 up was amazing!  The sound was incredible!

Don't remember us exactly hanging on we absolutely mullered them...must have been the most one sided 1-0 in Wembley history.

Agree about the atmosphere......but I suppose I'd have to go for the 69 final.

Agree about the Sunderland game, the most one sided 1-0 ever.  They couldn't have complained if we'd got 5 or 6!  That was without doubt the finest 90 minutes I have witnessed from a Town side.  I seem to recall the atmosphere being a bit flat though, perhaps people had the impending illegal payments case on their mind.  They were of course quite right to be concerned.  An unforgettable period for anyone who was around then.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, January 13, 2005, 11:26:46 »

Quote from: "Melksham Red"
Another i will never forget is Blackburn at home in the second leg of the 1990 PO semi. The amount of tickertape was unreal. For those that were there from the forum, remember on the pitch at the end singing "We are Ossie's red n' white army" and the north stand singing back at us. Fucking brilliant. I think that night was the only time i have ever really heard the WHOLE north stand sing along with the rest of the ground.

Tickertape!!!  This stuff should make a comeback, used to look great when shrivvie road threw it everywhere when the teams came out!!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, January 13, 2005, 12:12:11 »

Going into the Sunderland game the stewards were searching likely looking characters and confiscating bags of tickertape, newspapers etc that may have been ripped up......miserable buggers.
Melksham Red

« Reply #21 on: Thursday, January 13, 2005, 12:36:10 »

Everyone on my coach had a carrier bag of the stuff. And every one of us had it confiscated. I remeber walking in and seeing all the bags and newspapers tossed to the side. F'in loads of it. It would have been like being at the Argie world cup final had we been allowed to do it.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, January 13, 2005, 12:36:41 »

Yep, I spent the whole week prior to that game ripping up newspapers and had a whole carrier bag full of the stuff which was duly confiscated!
kizz

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, January 13, 2005, 12:36:49 »

Quote from: "janaage77"
Quote from: "Melksham Red"

Tickertape!!!  This stuff should make a comeback, used to look great when shrivvie road threw it everywhere when the teams came out!!

That was a great atmosphere - I remeber it well now. However - I absolutely shit myself when the ticker tape flew everywhere as it was earlier on that year that the roof was blown off Grange Junior School in the gales (I was in it) and the tickertape reminded me of the falling asbestos... was only a momentary panic, but it still scared the crap out of me!

iven a level playing field (i.e. enough water so a shark could manouevre, but not so deep that a bear would flounder) who would win in a fight between a bear and a shark?
Melksham Red

« Reply #24 on: Thursday, January 13, 2005, 12:42:49 »

Remember that red and white gaffer tape aswell. Metres and metres of it getting passed through the crowd. Those were the days eh!
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, January 13, 2005, 12:49:47 »

CELERY! CELERY!
IF SHE DON'T COME....

You know the rest!  You can get a good idea as to how old people are if they've ever had celery confiscated at a football ground!
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, January 13, 2005, 13:02:43 »

It's gotta be about time for the ticker tape to make a 21st century comeback.  If it does happen I'll give it two to three home games before the club ask fans not to through it around, as it affects the pitch or something.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, January 13, 2005, 13:17:16 »

They will say it's a 'health and safety issue'. :roll:
Anonymous

« Reply #28 on: Thursday, January 13, 2005, 15:35:37 »

Germany V England Euro 96 the joy the crying and the hugging in the German End then looking over at the English sobbing their silly hearts out on to their union jacks waaa waaa
Spencer_White

« Reply #29 on: Thursday, January 13, 2005, 19:50:38 »

Il bet you were probably about 7 years old at Euro 96 and Il bet you wernt there!

Interesting to see OST mention those two Milk Cup games in 1985, right at the top of the list. Iv got an entire set of programs from that season and it said in them the atmo was unbelievable. 10 years too early for me  Crying

Im 22, but I had celery confiscated at Reading away 2002, the 3-1. I got a bird I was with to sneak it in and I threw it on the pitch (one of my lifes ambitions completed!).

Recently Brighton 1st PO leg was very very good, as was Sheff Weds 2003, at least for the first 20 minutes. QPR at home 3-1 02-03. Best 'whole ground' atmosphere was QPR away last season, they were immense. Then Oxford at the Kassam. Its difficult for me to compare the recent games to ones back in the early 90's because I felt a bit more intimidated myself.

It shames me to say it, but two of the best atmospheres I have ever heard at the County came from away fans. Ipswich and Sunderland got 5,000 tickets in 1999 and took the piss.  Crying
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: