Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: TrustSTFC - direction & AGM  (Read 28164 times)
doversparkred

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Saturday, January 27, 2024, 14:34:53 »

You had to be a member on the 31st Dec I believe but you can always approach them after the AGM, once you are a member.

Thanks Manc. As things stand I wouldn’t want to be a member, so that rules me out, but hopefully this will change following the election of a more considered and professional board.  Can the trust co-opt people who aren’t members I wonder, or does that defeat the concept of one member one vote?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Saturday, January 27, 2024, 14:37:56 »

They can co-opt people if the board is not full post AGM, but members have first dibs essentially. Someone becoming a board member probably has to join at that point though.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Saturday, January 27, 2024, 14:51:37 »

No is not an employer but people should surely act and behave in a way that is a good representation of the trust, my reference to a company was simply just an example of how in other situations / environments where people behave in a poor manner they have to align to policies and when those are broken there are consequences. I think we both know that the trust isn't a company, but hopefully you get my point now. Not tying to be clever but whether you volunteer for a organisation, are a boy scout there are rules and behaviours you have to adhere to, otherwise you find yourself no longer within those organisations.

Drummer you have gone off on a political tangent and not stuck to the point of my message and argument with your thoughts, (deflecting away from areas that you don't want to discuss maybe), any organisation whether a not for profit, charity, company should be aim to have a team that works together to achieve their aims, its never about one person. However a rogue member that attacks and undermines the organisation they are part of and supposed to support in my view isn't a good look and not one i wish to be part of and sign up to.  I think perhaps it needs a complete rethink on their aims and how they can work together as a team for the good of the fans, but perhaps a complete start from scratch is needed and not have legacy board members who have history of bizarre and unprofessional actions that i have eluded to above. If that was the case and the decks were clear without legacy baggage then maybe i would stand.

Waffle.

So basically don't grumble in public if things aren't right?

Nah don't subscribe to that at all.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, January 30, 2024, 12:56:39 »

If I am correct  - if not enough people put their name forward to stand for election and have been nominated by a Trust member they will automatically get a place on the Trust board, but if there are more names than spaces on the board then an election will be held whereby Trust members will vote.

The new board will vote for who they decide will take over as chair.

I would assume there will be a hand over period as well so existing board members can help those incoming learn the rules and make the introductions, there is a co opt option but that you would imagine to bring in anyone that may have something to add to the board that they may be missing in their skill sets, I don't think they have to be a member.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, January 30, 2024, 13:18:21 »

Yes, no vote if there aren't at least eleven candidates this time.

Nominations close at noon tomorrow for any waverers - not really sure how quickly they'll announce the results/candidates.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, January 30, 2024, 14:37:40 »

Is there a reason for so many Board member slots?  Seems unlikely that you'd get an effective Board with so many people to listen to and work out a sense of direction.  I don't mean that in terms of not needing to listen - of course the Board should work towards the benefit of it's members, but once they have that view understood, having 11 people trying to work out what to do with it must be cumbersome.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Thursday, February 1, 2024, 12:38:50 »

Is there a reason for so many Board member slots?  Seems unlikely that you'd get an effective Board with so many people to listen to and work out a sense of direction.  I don't mean that in terms of not needing to listen - of course the Board should work towards the benefit of it's members, but once they have that view understood, having 11 people trying to work out what to do with it must be cumbersome.

Different roles within the Trust, (fundraising, treasurer, vice chair, chair etc) but that is the maximum board members according to their articles, dont mean to say they fill all 11 spots
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Thursday, February 1, 2024, 13:50:02 »

It's too many, you can fill roles with volunteers, you don't need them as Board members.
STFC_Manc

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Thursday, February 1, 2024, 15:25:46 »

It's too many, you can fill roles with volunteers, you don't need them as Board members.

So they are too thinly spread but now they want too many board members.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Thursday, February 1, 2024, 15:29:16 »

So they are too thinly spread but now they want too many board members.

Yes and yes - Board member should be there for decision making and direction.  Volunteers and volunteer roles are fine for doing the donkey work required, but you can't expect to operate effectively and efficiently with 11 people trying to run the thing.

I believe you start to get very messy beyond probably 6 or 7 people being at the top table.

I'm not saying you don't need more than 6 or 7 people to get the work of the Trust done, but the Board is usually a very different beast to the machinations of those getting the footwork done, no?

A more focused Trust, a leaner Board and then an army of helping hands + some paid for professional support (Legal/Financial expertise), would be far more effective in my mind.
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Thursday, February 1, 2024, 21:48:28 »

Yes and yes - Board member should be there for decision making and direction.  Volunteers and volunteer roles are fine for doing the donkey work required, but you can't expect to operate effectively and efficiently with 11 people trying to run the thing.

I believe you start to get very messy beyond probably 6 or 7 people being at the top table.

I'm not saying you don't need more than 6 or 7 people to get the work of the Trust done, but the Board is usually a very different beast to the machinations of those getting the footwork done, no?

A more focused Trust, a leaner Board and then an army of helping hands + some paid for professional support (Legal/Financial expertise), would be far more effective in my mind.
Could not disagree more
STFC_Manc

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Thursday, February 1, 2024, 23:34:25 »

Yes and yes - Board member should be there for decision making and direction.  Volunteers and volunteer roles are fine for doing the donkey work required, but you can't expect to operate effectively and efficiently with 11 people trying to run the thing.

The board members are the volunteers? The more board members the better as you get more diverse view points? The key is that people on the board respect that the decision has been made and get on with it.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Thursday, February 1, 2024, 23:43:07 »

I was suggesting a more professional set-up - a limited board focused on setting direction, making key decisions and overseeing the main two projects (ground and representation).  Then you have roles identified that are filled by volunteers, based on personal skills and a desire to get involved.  It seems odd to me that you'd need to be on the Board to do work for the Trust - is that what you are suggesting is the current set-up?

As an example - the Trust would need someone to be involved in managing communications, social media, website etc.  That isn't, in my mind, a Board level role.  It could be filled by one or several people, dedicating a number of hours to the cause, that have prior experience in those fields.  They then report up to a Board member responsible for Overall Communication strategy, but likely also responsible for the membership admin and membership marketing teams.

Just because it is a volunteer org, does not mean it has to be all equal sharing and everyone gets a seat at the big boys table.  On a personal level, I can't see why anyone would want me on the Board given location and time zone.  But, I could certainly do work for the Trust.
« Last Edit: Thursday, February 1, 2024, 23:47:36 by RobertT » Logged
STFC_Manc

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Friday, February 2, 2024, 00:10:25 »

I was suggesting a more professional set-up - a limited board focused on setting direction, making key decisions and overseeing the main two projects (ground and representation).  Then you have roles identified that are filled by volunteers, based on personal skills and a desire to get involved.  It seems odd to me that you'd need to be on the Board to do work for the Trust - is that what you are suggesting is the current set-up?

As an example - the Trust would need someone to be involved in managing communications, social media, website etc.  That isn't, in my mind, a Board level role.  It could be filled by one or several people, dedicating a number of hours to the cause, that have prior experience in those fields.  They then report up to a Board member responsible for Overall Communication strategy, but likely also responsible for the membership admin and membership marketing teams.

Just because it is a volunteer org, does not mean it has to be all equal sharing and everyone gets a seat at the big boys table.  On a personal level, I can't see why anyone would want me on the Board given location and time zone.  But, I could certainly do work for the Trust.

I'm not saying that you need to be on the board to volunteer but from what I know the only people volunteering are the board members, I'm not sure where you think all these volunteers would come from?

You also must remember that the members do have a say and approve all the current activities at the AGM.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Friday, February 2, 2024, 00:13:25 »

I'm not saying that you need to be on the board to volunteer but from what I know the only people volunteering are the board members, I'm not sure where you think all these volunteers would come from?

If the Trust was operating in a professional manner, with a single website (as an example of issues they have had), pushing membership numbers and advertising the roles it needed people to fill, then I think they would get them. 1400+ have joined, they can easily get that above 2k I'd say, with the right operation.  I have previously given my time to the Trust without being on the board and even without being a member at some points.

As it is, who knows what they need doing?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: