Pages: 1 ... 157 158 159 [160]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager thread part (96837494)  (Read 214249 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #2385 on: Monday, June 17, 2024, 09:23:12 »

I'm crying inside that both our systems will be a back 3. Sad times.

Have we had a good 'sweeper' in a back 3 since Hoddle? I guess Culverhouse for one season, and Thompson for a couple.

Miglioranzi did a couple of games from memory and looked really handy at it, but don't think it happened much. Nathan Thompson is the only one in the last 20 years though.

Maybe, maybe UGM could do it? He's not got the passing range of a Hoddle (who does!) but he could carry the ball in the way that Thompson did. So perhaps we're thinking UGM with more traditional CBs either side of him, in a kind of reverse of last year's back three with the overlapping outside defenders. I don't think I'd hate that.
DV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #2386 on: Monday, June 17, 2024, 09:26:30 »

I think our best bet for a Hoddle like player would be Hoddle himself - even at 66 years old.

Unless we can bring back James Milner!
Peter Venkman
Meh

Let them eat cake

« Reply #2387 on: Monday, June 17, 2024, 09:28:38 »

Maybe, maybe UGM could do it? He's not got the passing range of a Hoddle (who does!) but he could carry the ball in the way that Thompson did. So perhaps we're thinking UGM with more traditional CBs either side of him, in a kind of reverse of last year's back three with the overlapping outside defenders. I don't think I'd hate that.
This has been passing my mind too, Dokes is a very talented footballer who can pass and carry the ball from defence really well, possibly the best CB/Defender we have had like that in many years, get 2 solid CB's behind him to do the actual defending and it could well work.

I love his ventures up the pitch but dread when he does it as it leaves us exposed at the back.

2 CB's that stay back and can actually defend would allow him that freedom.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2388 on: Monday, June 17, 2024, 09:34:41 »

Hoddle didn't manage in division 4. He had better players and a higher quality league to play it in. Nice aim but ultimately nonsense for now.
--
If 3 at the back can work for us, then great. If not then equally don't get hung up on it and go to a 4.

This does seem to confirm my suspicions that formation/style is being dictated from above. This is not necessary an issue as the manager is clearly onboard (and recruited) for the purpose. But for heavens sake just do what we need to do to progress upwards and win games.
« Last Edit: Monday, June 17, 2024, 09:50:00 by Batch » Logged
Peter Venkman
Meh

Let them eat cake

« Reply #2389 on: Monday, June 17, 2024, 09:40:23 »

This does seem to confirm my suspicions that formation/style is being dictated from above.
I agree with that.

Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #2390 on: Monday, June 17, 2024, 09:49:58 »

I agree with that.

It has to be dictated from above. If Russell is recruiting the players to play the way he wants the club to play. The Head Coach then has to get the most from it.

It just means Russell has to accept the praise/criticism if it does or doesn't work, as much as Kennedy does.
Peter Venkman
Meh

Let them eat cake

« Reply #2391 on: Monday, June 17, 2024, 09:52:08 »

It just means Russell has to accept the praise/criticism if it does or doesn't work, as much as Kennedy does.
If not more so.

UTR

Ignore
« Reply #2392 on: Monday, June 17, 2024, 10:21:42 »

Playing style being dictated from above is a common thing across clubs implementing a DoF/Head of Football type structure for those reasons above that players need to be club signings rather than manager signings to ensure when the head coach moves on, it’s not all ripped up. So the style needs to suit those signings.

The issue comes more with trust in whoever it is setting that style and trust in the clubs football operations is something we don’t have as a fanbase right now so I can understand concern around that model.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #2393 on: Monday, June 17, 2024, 10:24:59 »

As long as we sign players that can play Full Back (not wing back), and as wingers, to allow for changes than all good.

We don't want that Sandro pre season where we signed only wing backs and then Lindsey shifted to a back 4 before the window was shut and we had to do go and get a couple of fullbacks to compensate (FBT and Lavinier from memory).
Mooneyraker

« Reply #2394 on: Monday, June 17, 2024, 10:30:23 »

Funnily enough, if fit (and that is a big if), Conroy could have been a great sweeper at this level I reckon.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #2395 on: Monday, June 17, 2024, 14:19:04 »

That Glenn Hoddle format worked beautifully when you had one of England's most gifted natural footballers of all time playing in that sweeper role.

I can't wait for us to sign that player!

Viveash filled in for him, occasionally, when Hoddle was not fit  Wink Most notably in the 2-1 victory against Keegan's top of the table Newcastle.

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=19930134
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #2396 on: Monday, June 17, 2024, 14:25:59 »

Viveash filled in for him, occasionally, when Hoddle was not fit  Wink Most notably in the 2-1 victory against Keegan's top of the table Newcastle.

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=19930134

Paul Hunt played a blinder that day
Ƭ̵̬̊: The Artist Formerly Known as CWIG
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #2397 on: Monday, June 17, 2024, 15:11:00 »

There are people playing for England in the Euros that can’t play like Hoddle did when he was with us - let alone in league bloody two.

Just seems like a pointless name drop to show they know the clubs history or something…

drivel to sell season tickets that plenty will eat up.
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 159 [160]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: