Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Franchise v Swindon Town Matchday thread  (Read 27828 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #630 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 14:01:42 »

Nemodamus?

We could all see it coming we just hoped we could come out if it fairly unscathed TBH.
Do we count ‘win the game in hand we’re in the POs’ as unscathed? I’d settle for that, tbh.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #631 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 14:13:56 »

I was hardly fucking Nostradamus in saying that was I? I think that's the root of a lot of frustration - everyone could see this coming. If we'd had a freak injury crisis or three players sent off in one game I'm sure everyone would be much calmer, but this is just a case of extremely well known chickens coming home to roost.

Steff the troll thinks people didn't see this coming though and are only complaining because results are bad.

And then wonders why I just resorted to calling him a twat.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #632 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 14:20:38 »

Flynn appears to have been sold the same pup that Morris was.  The difference is Flynn knows this division and how to eek out the budget a little to get some results and does so while, presumably, keeping his retorts in house.

Yeah Morris couldn't be fucked the moment he realised he'd been sold a pub. The same one we have for a couple of years about a 'cOmPeTitVe bUdGeT'

At least Flynn is sticking with it.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #633 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 14:22:40 »

Do we count ‘win the game in hand we’re in the POs’ as unscathed? I’d settle for that, tbh.

Scatched, but not out of it.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #634 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 16:01:17 »

I do

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #635 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 16:04:08 »

Depends really. It’s okay on paper but I’d still like some evidence we can compete with these better teams if we’re going to end up in the play offs against them otherwise what’s the point.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #636 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 19:19:32 »

Yeah Morris couldn't be fucked the moment he realised he'd been sold a pub. The same one we have for a couple of years about a 'cOmPeTitVe bUdGeT'

At least Flynn is sticking with it.
Is he a landlord now then?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #637 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 22:54:53 »

Steff the troll thinks people didn't see this coming though and are only complaining because results are bad.

And then wonders why I just resorted to calling him a twat.

Everyone saw this coming. If you read my posts I have constantly said that Flynn has chosen quality over quantity.  He has mentioned this plenty of times in interviews he has done on the radio or Swindon advertiser. Flynn has even said in interviews that he is confident of new signings in January which indicates there is some budget to play with. If we don’t sign any players in January then things would look really shit and I will hold my hand up and say that Clem hasn’t backed the manager.

Unfortunately money doesn’t grow on trees. Unless Clem backs the manager out of his own pocket, then our budget is dictated on what we bring in as a club. Swindon strategy shouldn’t be to rely on a chairman to bank roll them. They should be self sufficient. 

Unfortunately you don’t seem to be able to hold an arguement well. As soon as someone disagrees with you, you start to swear at them, call them a wanker or a twat (a big indicator that you are losing the argument). These unnecessary actions sum you up as a person.

RobertT and others have disagreed with my views/comments,  but at least they don’t swear/insult me. They make measured responses. Something you could learn from.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #638 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 23:24:58 »

Just because Flynn has said quality over quantity doesn’t mean it’s the true reason as to why we have a small squad.

Sure, I have no idea on other clubs wage budget & wage structure but we lost out on two players (Johnson & Smith) to Walsall & Sutton who decided to / were in a position to offer better wages.

On paper they are quality players & we couldn’t get a deal done.
On the flip side we were gazumped by Sutton who haven’t paid the tax man and are sat bottom of the league - so how much you pay people doesn’t always count for anything or work out in the long run.

I’d be preparing a bid for Harry Smith for January tbh.

I also wouldn’t believe for one second there isn’t any players out there with enough quality to sit on a L2 bench. I’d argue as of now (Jan might be a different story) that we don’t need players for our XI. It’s slots 12-18 we need to pad out.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #639 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 23:32:12 »

I know a lot of people don’t rate the pair but Adeloye & Aguiar would improve our bench. They haven’t been recalled - which is quite damning as to me it suggests the club would prefer to have their (or a % of their) wages off the budget rather than having them sat on our bench.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #640 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 23:40:38 »

So yeah, I don’t think our budget is top end & competitive as stated by Clem in the summer

However, I’m unsure as to why it isn’t competitive.
Is it because of the unexpected expense? we had to pay which lead to the whole shares / club ownership issue. I’m sure in real life we’ve all kept a budget, had an unexpected expense and had to cut back accordingly.
Did Clem genuinely believe it was a competitive budget? And the likes of Stockport, Notts County & Wrexham have massively skewed the averages wages in this division and Clems assumptions on what was competitive was wrong.
or was it just a bare faced lie from the get go?

I still lean towards Clem at least having honest intentions just don’t think he’s made enough of a clean break from the old regime / knows enough about running a football club / has the finances to run us the way he hoped to / expected he could - but that’s a lean and I’m still hella skeptical about the whole thing…
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #641 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2023, 01:45:38 »

I know a lot of people don’t rate the pair but Adeloye & Aguiar would improve our bench. They haven’t been recalled - which is quite damning as to me it suggests the club would prefer to have their (or a % of their) wages off the budget rather than having them sat on our bench.

I don't think Adeloye is worthy of a bench slot, even if it is currently empty - OK, that is over doing it, but I would go with a youth prospect in the meantime rather than recall him.

Aguiar is a different story.  He is clearly not good enough for a first team spot and a loan seemed like a good idea, but we didn't sign any players.  He is the clear back-up for Kemp, I'd drag him back here as soon as we are contractually able - not sure if we can right now?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #642 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2023, 01:50:41 »

So yeah, I don’t think our budget is top end & competitive as stated by Clem in the summer

However, I’m unsure as to why it isn’t competitive.
Is it because of the unexpected expense? we had to pay which lead to the whole shares / club ownership issue. I’m sure in real life we’ve all kept a budget, had an unexpected expense and had to cut back accordingly.
Did Clem genuinely believe it was a competitive budget? And the likes of Stockport, Notts County & Wrexham have massively skewed the averages wages in this division and Clems assumptions on what was competitive was wrong.
or was it just a bare faced lie from the get go?

I still lean towards Clem at least having honest intentions just don’t think he’s made enough of a clean break from the old regime / knows enough about running a football club / has the finances to run us the way he hoped to / expected he could - but that’s a lean and I’m still hella skeptical about the whole thing…

I suspect this season is an over reaction to last season - we have gone from a squad of over 30 and using well over 40, to this.  We are playing 1980's football trying to use about 16 players in total.  I still don;t see any great losses to injury either, nothing more than you would expect in any season.

The terms of that "loan" are indeed worth knowing - if my opinion on Clem is correct, and we are really talking about cashflow rather than profit & loss, then we've probably adjusted spend based on that in some way shape or form.  I get that Flynn has been saying Quality over Quantity, but it's going to take a lot to convince me that a Manager would leave budget on the table in the modern game.  Too risky - Managers lose jobs in less than 10 games these days, they'll spend whatever they are given.  I am near certain he just does a sterling job at presenting the club well.  He could give Morris some lessons on that front.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #643 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2023, 05:48:47 »

I’m sure Flynn has said they can’t be recalled until Jan. same as Young and Kemp can’t be.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #644 on: Wednesday, November 1, 2023, 06:53:43 »

We can't recall them until January. I assume those clauses were input to eek out extra wage contribution from the clubs loaning the players possibly?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47   Go Up
Print
Jump to: