Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 ... 47   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Franchise v Swindon Town Matchday thread  (Read 27810 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #615 on: Monday, October 30, 2023, 11:50:51 »

I suspect that many without a team are without a team for a reason.

Not sure whether any of the vociferous posters have heard of saving or money management? The simple premise being that if you don't spend money in September, October, November and December, then maybe you have more money left over in January. Then you can shop in the more expensive section for the rest of the season or invest for the future perhaps?

It's a possibility, but the evidence of what we deliver would suggest a remote one.

The sale of Wakeling was the alarm call - you don't do that when you still have parts missing, a small squad and nobody lined-up to sign on deadline day.  No Manager would pro-actively engineer such a situation, I just don't buy it.  No Manager will leave significant budget on the table for a future window, not with the way they are judged so quickly.   Look at Morris, he was moaning within days of stepping into the role.

The criticism's being levelled are all with the context of position - this is just plain bad for our club, abject failure.  You can offer all sorts of mitigation, but it's always going to come back to the fact we are not looking like we are hunting down or holding onto a top three spot in the bottom Division.
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #616 on: Monday, October 30, 2023, 12:09:52 »

It's a possibility, but the evidence of what we deliver would suggest a remote one.

The sale of Wakeling was the alarm call - you don't do that when you still have parts missing, a small squad and nobody lined-up to sign on deadline day.  No Manager would pro-actively engineer such a situation, I just don't buy it.  No Manager will leave significant budget on the table for a future window, not with the way they are judged so quickly.   Look at Morris, he was moaning within days of stepping into the role.

The criticism's being levelled are all with the context of position - this is just plain bad for our club, abject failure.  You can offer all sorts of mitigation, but it's always going to come back to the fact we are not looking like we are hunting down or holding onto a top three spot in the bottom Division.

My understanding (I maybe wrong here) is that the Wakeling sale came out of the blue (ie he was on team bus travelling to Doncaster and was then made aware of interest from Peterborough).  The offer was too good for Swindon to financially turn down.  I don't think he would have travelled or be part of the squad if Swindon knew there was a high probability he would be sold.

We made an offer for a Hartlepool player late in the day which was rejected.  Maybe if we had more time we would have replaced him.  However Swindon may have just offered a low amount which they knew would be rejected.  At least they can then say they tried to replace Wakeling but just didn't have the time.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #617 on: Monday, October 30, 2023, 12:15:39 »

I think the offer for Umerah was lower than they had previously rejected and in installments over 3 years so I assume was very much an offer in the 'token' variety that I assume they knew was almost certainly going to be refused (done to appease fans that at least they were trying to get a replacement in?)

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #618 on: Monday, October 30, 2023, 12:18:15 »

Looking at it, after 15 games we are broadly where we were at the same point last season (2022-23 in brackets).

Played 15
W 6 (7)
D 5 (5)
L 4 (3)

GF 33 (17)
GA 14 (24)

P 23 (26).

Big thing is we have scored more than double we had at this point last season, but let in a few more as well.

Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #619 on: Monday, October 30, 2023, 12:32:22 »

I think the offer for Umerah was lower than they had previously rejected and in installments over 3 years so I assume was very much an offer in the 'token' variety that I assume they knew was almost certainly going to be refused (done to appease fans that at least they were trying to get a replacement in?)

The offer for Umerah was straight from the Lee Power play book.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #620 on: Monday, October 30, 2023, 12:42:45 »

The offer for Umerah was straight from the Lee Power play book.
He's scored 1 from 14 with a sending off this year.

He dropped out of the league from Charlton and has floated around non-league. A 'punt' is all he was. I wouldn't have expected us to offer millions.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #621 on: Monday, October 30, 2023, 12:46:05 »

He dropped out of the league from Charlton and has floated around non-league. A 'punt' is all he was. I wouldn't have expected us to offer millions.

Oh I agree with regards to him as a player.
But offering below what they’ve already rejected isn’t really a punt is it? It’s a publicity stunt.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #622 on: Monday, October 30, 2023, 12:46:24 »

From what I saw of him he was an identical match to Adeloye, build, style and ability. For the comparison Adeloye has scored 3 in 9 games this season.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #623 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 13:35:48 »

I wasn't sure exactly where to post this but it sums up our tricky October really doesn't it.

https://thefishy.co.uk/formtable.php?table=4

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #624 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 13:41:12 »

I wasn't sure exactly where to post this but it sums up our tricky October really doesn't it.

Was always going to be a tricky period playing the good teams. Will see how we get on Vs Stockport and Mansfield and hope we can get something from those to show we can compete with the better teams (can argue Wrexham to an extent showed this but we caved)
Peter Venkman

« Reply #625 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 13:41:42 »

Saying about this reminded me of this Nemo post from the 3rd.

Our squad depth is going to cost us these next couple of weeks isn't it? If Flynn steers us through October he's a genius.

Not sure Flynn is a genuis and I guess it could have been worse, just.

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #626 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 13:44:15 »

I was hardly fucking Nostradamus in saying that was I? I think that's the root of a lot of frustration - everyone could see this coming. If we'd had a freak injury crisis or three players sent off in one game I'm sure everyone would be much calmer, but this is just a case of extremely well known chickens coming home to roost.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #627 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 13:46:05 »

I was hardly fucking Nostradamus in saying that was I? I think that's the root of a lot of frustration - everyone could see this coming. If we'd had a freak injury crisis or three players sent off in one game I'm sure everyone would be much calmer, but this is just a case of extremely well known chickens coming home to roost.
Nemodamus?

We could all see it coming we just hoped we could come out if it fairly unscathed TBH.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #628 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 13:49:27 »

Flynn appears to have been sold the same pup that Morris was.  The difference is Flynn knows this division and how to eek out the budget a little to get some results and does so while, presumably, keeping his retorts in house.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #629 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 13:55:51 »

Was always going to be a tricky period playing the good teams. Will see how we get on Vs Stockport and Mansfield and hope we can get something from those to show we can compete with the better teams (can argue Wrexham to an extent showed this but we caved)

As the league settles it certainly looks like Stockport and Mansfield are going to be automatic promotion chasing so our games with them are going to be 'interesting' to see how we cope. With a big crowd and some likely horrible winter conditions, we could pull off a couple of tremendous performances. We just have to hope our suspensions and injury troubles aren't too serious by then.

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 ... 47   Go Up
Print
Jump to: