Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Gillingham matchday thread  (Read 14419 times)
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 05:00:57 »

Young's two air shots (admittedly one of them a lot harder to take than the other), shot straight at the keeper in the first half and *that* header at the end, he's getting the chances but cannot finish at the minute. Hugely frustrating performance all around, and shows the lack of a plan B when the other team have worked out how to stop our wingbacks playing.

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 05:45:42 »

It’s not so much last night that’s the problem, one off defeats happen. It’s the sloppy dropped points against Salford, Morecambe, Wrexham etc that make any defeat much more damaging.

It seems to be a problem we’ve talked about for years that we only have one way of playing whether we’re winning or losing and this season seems no different. We no real plan B to turn round games or alternatively become more solid defending a lead and just see games out. Flynn admittedly hasn’t been helped by the owner clearly not releasing the funds to finish the squad.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 06:25:54 »

yeah, it's difficult to see what attacking plan B can be other than being on RHM for some pace.

why oh why didn't we sign another forward. Though even then I'm not sure that's the total answer
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 06:29:24 »

yeah, it's difficult to see what attacking plan B can be other than being on RHM for some pace.

why oh why didn't we sign another forward. Though even then I'm not sure that's the total answer

433 with Shade & RHM either side of Austin/Young?
4231 with Shade, RHM & Kemp in behind Austin/Young?

…ok…not massive differences and the same players but there is some possibilities other than wing backs.

I’d be tempted to go 433 at the weekend without Kemp

Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 07:03:10 »

Without wanting to be too critical of a young lad thrown in at the deep end, Minturn was culpable for the one on one Bonne missed and the penalty. I don’t think we will see him start again for a while which is a shame as that was a big chance for him.

No complaints on the score line for me, echo what most have said - we are clearly under cooked as a squad.

MK on Saturday will be interesting - they were rampant last night under a new manager.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 07:08:14 »

Our starting XI is good enough for at least a playoff spot. After that we have no options. We all knew that and selling Wakeling on deadline day is looking a worse decision by the week
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 07:22:59 »

Our starting XI is good enough for at least a playoff spot. After that we have no options. We all knew that and selling Wakeling on deadline day is looking a worse decision by the week

Selling Wakeling fine… but not replacing him, laughable. Really feel for Flynn. We have 85% of a great playing/managerial set up here. I can absolutely see him getting fed up and going to another insultingly shit club a la Flitcroft/Lindsey et al.

What I don’t understand is that the finances we are talking about to bring in 2 or 3 more “good” L2 players can’t be earth shattering. We don’t want the moon on a stick.

January is going to be interesting. Sell anyone key and the supporter meltdown will be for the ages.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 07:47:12 »

Reminded me of last season in terms of we huffed and puffed but couldn’t break the door down with a better starting 11. We’d have lost that game last season too, only by a bigger margin.

I’m regretting buying tickets for MK already for a trip that I, optimistic LL can only see as ending with our tails between our legs for a miserable trip home, god I hope I am wrong.

As I and others have said if there is no money to strengthen in January it’s mid table again. Sadly I do not regret the decision to let go of the season tickets.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 08:36:16 »

Were you watching the same game? Since kick off they double marked our wingbacks, whenever it went down the side they drifted a midfielder over to cover alongside their wingback, that's why it always when backwards to dokes or FBT. They knew our biggest threat was from the wings so they doubled down on the wings and whilst they did that the other midfielders sat and screened the three center backs.

They know how to defend and knew that if they double marked the wings and didn't give us space between midfield and defense then Kemp couldn't work any magic.
Fair enough but I don't think that really explains why we got so many crosses in(not good ones I admit) or created so many chances. Yeah they lapped up high crosses but that was our fault for not changing it up. Kemp saw plenty of the ball but had a rare off day for me.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
adje

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 08:36:42 »

I personally clapped him off. He was out of contract and had a better offer. We got him on the cheap and used the contract extensions to keep him and I bet even that wasn't a decent wage.

I don't know him personally but when my grandad had a heart attack he recorded a video for him hoping he would pull through and wishing him well which meant the absolute world to grandad. Working with Caroline he got the team to sign a card and gave grandad a signed shirt. I met him in hospitality a few times and he was a really nice bloke that loves playing football.

He did a service for the club, provided us with some great memories, and left for a better offer. We would all do the same in his situation. There is no loyalty in football and we all know that. 
Totally agree

adje

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 08:38:51 »

Without wanting to be too critical of a young lad thrown in at the deep end, Minturn was culpable for the one on one Bonne missed and the penalty. I don’t think we will see him start again for a while which is a shame as that was a big chance for him.

No complaints on the score line for me, echo what most have said - we are clearly under cooked as a squad.

MK on Saturday will be interesting - they were rampant last night under a new manager.
...but not forgetting the terrible pass from Kemp that put us in trouble

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 08:40:57 »

Nothing against Williams but if you look at the players in that role before and after him - Payne & Kemp he is definitely the lesser of the three.

For me, it just never felt like Williams did enough - was never as influential as a player of his ability should have been..

Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 08:43:03 »

Just re-watched their goal. Total lack of communication at the throw in. Why does no-one tell Khan, in pantomime style, "He's behind you!" Dreadful and shows that lack of leadership we have on the pitch.

Kemp even looks at the man about to receive the throw in space and does nothing.

Khan's attempts to then track back and intervene are woeful and McEachran, who I thought had a really good game, again fails to close the man down effectively for the shot, as he did for the cross for Salford's equaliser on Saturday.

These are the basics.
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 09:11:26 »

It's not Minturn's fault. He's had so little game time and should not be playing at the heart of a back 3 where he's often isolated 1v1. Especially against somebody of Bonne's experience. He's doing fine for his age. Apart from the lad Hills at Accrington I doubt there's any other 19 year old centre halves playing regularly in league 1 and 2.

Minturn should be on loan in the national league but he has to stay for cover because our squad is pathetic. We are operating like a Harrogate or a Sutton. Serious questions need to be asked. If Clem can't afford to fund this club then I sincerely hope it's up for sale.

A 16 year old coming on when we need a goal. We don't even have somebody to come in for Kemp.

Flynn is working miracles for me and is being massively let down by the ownership. I can see us sliding massively in the coming weeks as our squad gets more injuries, suspensions and further fatigued.

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 09:16:23 »

Amazing how quickly things can change, our forms now 4 points from 15 so realistically we need to pick up a few points from 3 very difficult games over the next month against MK, Stockport and Mansfield otherwise our good start could end up looking a poor one. Imperative we get something against Colchester and Harrogate at the very least, the sloppy dropped points are looking really costly now.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: