Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Gillingham matchday thread  (Read 15015 times)
Ides of March

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2023, 20:56:24 »

Utter bollocks sorry.

I don't buy it at all. They were crap. We weren't at the races and still had 4-5 absolute glorious opportunities. They were so deep they might as well have all been on the goal line.

I didn't see that as a good defensive performance. We had Shade and Hutton 1v1 virtually every minute. Cross after cross after cross. It was just utter dog shit quality in the final third. Nothing to do with Gillingham being good in my opinion.

The Shade and Hutton 1v1 point you make, I understand, but look at how they defended them crosses (bar the one Young header at the end). They are a VERY limited team, but astute defensively. Their keeper was forced into one good save, and a couple of routine ones. For all the possession and crosses, they were fairly comfortable. At least, that’s how I saw it..
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2023, 20:57:39 »

Think I'll give this a miss for a bit. Ends up being a £70 day for fuck all return.
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2023, 20:58:59 »

The Shade and Hutton 1v1 point you make, I understand, but look at how they defended them crosses (bar the one Young header at the end). They are a VERY limited team, but astute defensively. Their keeper was forced into one good save, and a couple of routine ones. For all the possession and crosses, they were fairly comfortable. At least, that’s how I saw it..

As I said - the quality for the large part into the box was horrific. That's what helped them.

People can say good defending. I disagree - Letting up 78% of the ball and allowing your full backs to be constantly ran at 1v1 and not stopping supply into the box in my opinion is not good defending. It's just waiting for the inevitable. And the inevitable should've came many times despite how bad we were.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2023, 21:00:15 »

As I said - the quality for the large part into the box was horrific. That's what helped them.

People can say good defending. I disagree - Letting up 78% of the ball and allowing your full backs to be constantly ran at 1v1 and not stopping supply into the box in my opinion is not good defending. It's just waiting for the inevitable. And the inevitable should've came many times despite how bad we were.

Burnley did exactly that in the Prem under Dyche for years. If you think you're better than the opposition at defending crosses encouraging the opposition to cross isn't bad defending, it's backing yourself.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2023, 21:00:40 »

Yeah, but the "routine" saves were because of our poor finishing

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2023, 21:02:31 »

Our wing backs are just not fit for purpose. Make Dokes and FBT play wing back and get some proper Centre backs in to fill their places.

At the moment we have wing backs who can't defend and on tonights performance have one shit trick going forward.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2023, 21:05:11 »

Shade defended well I thought tonight

Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2023, 21:05:46 »

Burnley did exactly that in the Prem under Dyche for years. If you think you're better than the opposition at defending crosses encouraging the opposition to cross isn't bad defending, it's backing yourself.

A Dyche team wouldn't leave their full backs exposed 1v1 all game. It's not the same.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2023, 21:09:36 »

So frustrating. They were well drilled, organised and committed but that game was there for the taking.

We looked tired. Young had an all time stinker. Kemp didn’t turn up at all.

We were just so slow and ponderous out wide and the quality of balls into the box wasn’t high enough.

Decision making in key areas was just poor.

Plenty of endeavour from everyone really but I think today was the day that the threadbare squad finally caught up with us.

Clem wanted the club in the Championship, or so he said. Laughable.
oxonrobin

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2023, 21:09:38 »

TBF they doubled up on Shade a lot, so not exactly 1v1.

It was maddening how we kept trying the same type of cross over and over though. Shows how important the first goal is though. We didn’t defend with the same energy they did, and got punished.

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2023, 21:10:28 »

Stockport, Notts Co and Wrexham top three now. Ominous.
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2023, 21:13:12 »

Ultimately apart from RHM we have fuck all to try and change a game.

It's not acceptable. I can't wait until we are owned by somebody who can actually afford to run us.

Sending a 16 year old onto the pitch to try and nick us a goal. A 19 year old starting at the heart of our defence.

adje

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2023, 21:13:29 »

Stockport, Notts Co and Wrexham top three now. Ominous.
With their outlay Gillingham should be there

Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2023, 21:13:40 »

We were crying out for a target man to bring on.

Instead we had a 5"8 16 year old to bring on.

Flynns doing a great job. Needs Clem to give him the tools to complete the squad.
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2023, 21:14:58 »

Utter bollocks sorry.

I don't buy it at all. They were crap. We weren't at the races and still had 4-5 absolute glorious opportunities. They were so deep they might as well have all been on the goal line.

I didn't see that as a good defensive performance. We had Shade and Hutton 1v1 virtually every minute. Cross after cross after cross. It was just utter dog shit quality in the final third. Nothing to do with Gillingham being good in my opinion.

Game of opinions but I strongly disagree there. We were toothless but Gillingham defended as good as I’ve seen in a good few years, yeah it was anti football but it’s easy to see why they’ve ground out so many 1-0 wins this season. They were defensively very well structured and their keeper had a very good game.

Yes we could have done a lot better ourselves at trying to break them down but to say none of it was to do with them setting up in a well drilled defensive structure is absolutely wrong in my opinion. They took a while to get into it but settled in their banks and then at the end conceded the width to defend the middle (more so when Austin went off) and it worked.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: