Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Gillingham matchday thread  (Read 13600 times)
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 09:41:31 »

Stood frustrated watching that...havent read back.

I expected the Gills to be organised and hard to break down and wasnt let down.

We started slow, stayed at the same pace, telegraphed passing and constantly cut inside.

We committed the biggest sin...conceded first.

Went in at half time.

Came out....and played...the fucking same....

Having said all that we did create chances....the missed header a the end was the cherry on the cake!

Our Free kick at the Bank summed up our match.

Gills missed a pen they didnt need.

We werent shit but .....a frustrating evening.

Clems Army!
Jilted John

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 09:44:23 »

FBT is not a LWB. He wouldn't have the energy to get up and down. Had chances tonight to go outside his man but didn't look confident.
Thats crap, FBT came as a LB/LWB and he played that role well under Lindsey last season, he would fit perfectly at LWB and play Clayton at LCB who is not so prone to straying up the field as FBT does at LCB.

We're not really violent people... this is our first gun.
Jilted John

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 09:49:35 »

MK on Saturday will be interesting - they were rampant last night under a new manager.
Not sure I would call a 4-1 home win against a managerless team rampant 

We're not really violent people... this is our first gun.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #303 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 09:52:30 »

It's not Minturn's fault. He's had so little game time and should not be playing at the heart of a back 3 where he's often isolated 1v1. Especially against somebody of Bonne's experience. He's doing fine for his age. Apart from the lad Hills at Accrington I doubt there's any other 19 year old centre halves playing regularly in league 1 and 2.

Minturn should be on loan in the national league but he has to stay for cover because our squad is pathetic. We are operating like a Harrogate or a Sutton. Serious questions need to be asked. If Clem can't afford to fund this club then I sincerely hope it's up for sale.

A 16 year old coming on when we need a goal. We don't even have somebody to come in for Kemp.

Flynn is working miracles for me and is being massively let down by the ownership. I can see us sliding massively in the coming weeks as our squad gets more injuries, suspensions and further fatigued.
Pretty much agree with all of that especially Flynn let down by the Owner(s) in the transfer market.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 10:13:04 »

Not sure there were that many great chances. Young header at the end for sure, but what else would you qualify as a great chance?

There wasn't. Outside of one Hutton cross to the back post it was like a museum of bad crossing all night. Hit and hope and not even with any conviction. Just float one in to the area most populated with Gillingham players.

Shite.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 10:21:00 »

Austin’s header in the first half from a corner. Couldnt see clearly but there was a scramble on their goal line in the first half as well.

Couple of good saves from their keeper in the second half, fantastic block tackle on their 6 yard line late on, Young’s header.

I was in line with their 18 yard line in the second half - at times they had a back 6 strung out along it. Great defensive display I thought.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 10:29:30 by The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey » Logged
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 10:27:30 »

Clem wanted the club in the Championship, or so he said. Laughable.

Clem is in the last chance saloon this season with me and a lot of the fanbase. More seasons in this dross league aren’t going to be tolerated.

The squad depth is totally laughable and embarrassing to be honest- just don’t see us getting promoted under this ownership.

January is his last chance for me to show proper intent. Words are cheap

Probably why he can afford them then.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 10:43:21 »

Read partially back. A frustrating evening against a well marshalled, defensive unit. I actually thought we didn't play too badly but we were just unable to unlock their defence. I agreed with Bodin on comms who early on stated that the Gills were playing narrow, allowing us space on the wings and were then relying on their CBs to mop up everything. Masterson was excellent throughout I thought. I've read contrasting opinions as to whether Gillingham defended well or not, at the end of the day they kept a clean sheet so for them it's a good night's work regardless of what we think. Unfortunately Hutton's crossing wasn't quite on point consistently and I was massively unimpressed with Young in front of goal, wild swipes, missing the ball completely, he's totally gone off the boil. I also wonder whether Charlie is knackered as well, he's just not quite there either in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, he works hard but it's not really happening for both of the strikers.

Disappointing to have lost and my takeaway from last night is the contract between the 2 benches. Our game changer was RHM, but in a match against a side sitting in, it's not really setup for him. Then you've got Obodo, who might have all the untapped talent in the world, but he shouldn't be anywhere near the first team setup. Clayton, good to have him back, Genesini and Kinsella - meh. Gillingham were able to swap Jonny Williams for Lapslie, who is a brilliant midfielder at this level and also bring on Tom Nichols - a real L2 poacher.

I do feel for Mike Flynn. The hand he's been given is not bad. First 11 are pretty good but when you get beneath the surface he really doesn't have a huge amount to work with. I think that's also why we don't really seem to have a plan B, the formation and way we play never really seems to change, we just bring off 1 player for a vastly inferior one in the hope we'll improve. I also was thinking about Dan Kemp and how Williamson at Franchise surely is going to utilise him in the way he likes to play - sadly I think he'll thrive there with Jack Payne, Gilbey etc. I also noticed Joe Tomlinson is at Franchise so no doubt they are going to come back to haunt us. Just bought my ticket for Saturday, I'm approaching that game with trepidation.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 10:52:24 by Bob's Orange » Logged

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 10:47:36 »

In nine games time it is exactly halfway through the season. Wildly assuming that 80 points is a play off space we need 17 points from nine games to be on target for that aspiring 40 points.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 11:18:01 »

It’s nights like tonight, when you see us bringing on a 16 year old kid, that my anger at the “Clem’s the real deal” wazzocks at the Trust starts to bubble up again… Hopelessly naive.

#CompetitiveBudget

Didn't say competitive for what league position or even league to be fair.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 11:23:08 »

Thats crap, FBT came as a LB/LWB and he played that role well under Lindsey last season, he would fit perfectly at LWB and play Clayton at LCB who is not so prone to straying up the field as FBT does at LCB.

Agree.

Might need to put him on crossing practice the way we play, but then can't be worse than Shade.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 11:57:17 »

the dropped points after sloppy, but what really worries me is I doubt Kemp will be here in February -we aren't making hay while the sun shines
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 11:59:02 »

I saw a stat on Twitter (which I haven't corroborated so it could be horse cack) that says we haven't beaten anyone in the league above us in the league this season so far. Flat track bullies.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 11:59:50 »

we've been in the top 8 for a while, it does limit opportunity
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 12:00:32 »

we've been in the top 8 for a while, it does limit opportunity

It does, but it doesn't make it incorrect. I guess as we slide down the table we have more chance to put it right.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: