Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Crawley pre match drivel and matchday thread  (Read 23164 times)
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #375 on: Sunday, August 27, 2023, 13:50:48 »

I remember him getting a few pens but I don't remember him getting lots of pens, Paynter was a bang average player though IMO who got lucky in 1 season.

Young does have a lot more pace than Paynter ever had and gets in better positions.

Edit: just checked he score 8 pens out of his 51 goals for Town, missing 1 pen, so yes thats a fair percentage of pens.

Missed a pen at Walsall away and scored one at the same game.
My eldest’s first away game.

Billy Paynter was a lower league average player.
One step too far at Leeds and was signed on the back of an excellent performance scoring 2 in a 3-0 win at Elland Road.
Did well at Swindon and Port Fail.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #376 on: Sunday, August 27, 2023, 13:52:47 »

He just needs to stop his hot headedness at times, he occassionally puts his foot on the ball and falls over to lose possession but when hes on his game he is brilliant.

Rate Khan highly.
The engine in the team, superb energy.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #377 on: Sunday, August 27, 2023, 13:59:29 »

Good to see both Khan & FBT holding back from potential 45/55 challenges when the game was already won.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #378 on: Sunday, August 27, 2023, 14:27:33 »

He just needs to stop his hot headedness at times, he occassionally puts his foot on the ball and falls over to lose possession but when hes on his game he is brilliant.

We did say yesterday that he appeared much calmer, wasn’t gobbing off at the ref at all, and just got on with playing his own game. Don’t know if that’s down to him or the coaching team but it’s good to see

Like others have said, he was excellent yesterday
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #379 on: Sunday, August 27, 2023, 14:28:48 »

Whole team seems to have calmed down with the dissent, which is good because the refs are hot on it at the moment. McKirdy and co. would have walked every week!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #380 on: Sunday, August 27, 2023, 15:45:50 »

Anyone know what was up with Genesini
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #381 on: Sunday, August 27, 2023, 15:58:36 »

Anyone know what was up with Genesini

Off to Peterborough

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #382 on: Sunday, August 27, 2023, 16:26:26 »

At least he’ll have a few mates going with him!

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #383 on: Sunday, August 27, 2023, 19:38:29 »

Shade’s goal was a thing of beauty
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #384 on: Sunday, August 27, 2023, 19:42:24 »

Shade’s goal was a thing of beauty

Best thing was his touch to bring it down. Great finish too
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #385 on: Monday, August 28, 2023, 07:56:34 »

Didn’t the ‘General’ say during one match commentary that Khan once said to him that their styles were similar to which the General replied, that may be, but I’ve never been sent off for stupid tackles… maybe the message sank in?
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #386 on: Monday, August 28, 2023, 08:20:28 »

I was so hoping Wakeling would nutmeg Grant or something similar after the way he slated him on Comms one time
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #387 on: Monday, August 28, 2023, 09:34:22 »

Paynter was a great striker and was the perfect foil for both Austin & Cox.

Sure 1 of his 3 seasons was a belter compared to other 2 but let’s not pretend he didn’t play a massive part in Cox getting the goals he did.

If you didn’t rate him as anything above bang average you don’t know football & this is a hill I’m willing to die on…

Young reminds me of Yates
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #388 on: Monday, August 28, 2023, 09:51:28 »

Just catching up on this, what a performance and glad to see us clicking together.

Only going off of the highlights but the goals looked well worked for the most part and agree with the comments of opposition defences focusing on Austin which leaves space for others to go unmarked. Even Shade managed to get a goal. Hopefully that confidence continues to build through the squad through September as they’ll need it with a tough October coming up.

There’s the obvious discussion about Kemp and Young in January but we always knew this, if they do well then they’ll both be recalled early and both have the luxury of being able to go elsewhere as they’ve only played for us this season. So they’ll either be recalled and reintegrated into their squads (seems unlikely as they were both bombed out) or recalled to derail our own season if we’re doing well and sold on elsewhere unless we stump up the cash. That’s the issue, they’re both not just coming from teams in the same league, but teams that would be direct promotion rivals. Especially if Young continues like this and Hughes gets sacked at Bradford, the new manager will call him back instantly.

So I hope we’re either planning on stumping up the cash when needed or are sourcing replacements ready to come in. Either way, it’s a January discussion point and who knows if the two will continue in the same form.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #389 on: Monday, August 28, 2023, 10:00:09 »

Young reminds me of Yates
I thought the same...
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29   Go Up
Print
Jump to: