Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 29   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Crawley pre match drivel and matchday thread  (Read 23448 times)
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: Sunday, August 27, 2023, 10:06:51 »

Would Young have started these last few games if RHM hadn’t been out with injury/sickness? I think Flynn would have started RHM.

Yep. Credit to Young for making the most of his opportunity.
RHM will have to bide his time for now.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: Sunday, August 27, 2023, 10:16:12 »

A lot of that was the absolute quality of the cross by Uwakwe which was literally pinpoint, better than any cross Hutton has managed so far this season TBH.

BTW that was Crawleys record league defeat yesterday, their only heavier defeat was by Bath City a 7-0 loss back in Southern League Premier days in 2000.

It was a cracking cross for sure, taking nothing away from that, but a defensive horror show nonetheless. Total lack of physicality and desire to get on the ball from their mob.
Ides of March

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: Sunday, August 27, 2023, 10:20:52 »

Really exciting performance. Completely different to the inept performances we saw under Lindsey and Morris. We have some very good options up front. Says a lot when RHM and Wakeling are on the bench, waiting for opportunities. Actually think Brewitt did really well yesterday, especially in the first half when he was often left exposed by FBT and UGM. Our style of play will see us concede a fair few, but with the fire power we have up top, you’d back us to out score most teams.

On the flip side, what on earth happened in Crawley’s first three games? That was the sort of performance I expected from them before the season started, but to see they’ve picked up some impressive wins early, is a huge surprise.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: Sunday, August 27, 2023, 10:24:53 »

Quote from: DMC
I know it's early days and we have a few years of shit behind us but i think we focus too much on the negatives at times.  

dunno what the answer is. I hope it'll just improve in the ground and on SM organically if we manage to sustain a promotion challenge
--

to go all 4D on it we've (stilupidly imo) moved back to the town end this season.

the normal section still sings, not sure if there are fewer of them than there used to be as it's clearly not carrying.

the rest of the ground is very quiet, maybe I imagined it but I think I did hear the North stand once!

was it Vic on the mic yesterday. I'm sure he did
Sssssss
wwwwubbbleU
Iiiiiiiii
ddddNnnnnnnnn

made me chuckle
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: Sunday, August 27, 2023, 10:26:41 »

Yeah, there is probably an element of ‘he’s Charlie Austin, we need to mark him’ in defenders heads. Leading them to somewhat forget about Jake Young.

With Young banging in the goal he won’t be long before teams start to focus on him and his goals will dry up and Austin will hopefully start putting a load in…
Is Jake Young a younger version of Billy Paynter ?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: Sunday, August 27, 2023, 10:34:55 »

Never listened to Phil Smith on commentary before but what a negative bloke! Got kind of annoying when we were 5-0 up and he was still picking the bones out of the first 20 minutes.

Nice to see us playing this way for me - sure it won't always work but goals win games and we appear to have plenty of players able to find the onion bag. Fans will certainly get their moneys worth if the opening few games are an indicator.

I'm here for it. Very refreshing. Can't wait to finally watch us at the CG in a couple of weeks.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: Sunday, August 27, 2023, 10:53:23 »

Is Jake Young a younger version of Billy Paynter ?

Yes, 100% this.
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: Sunday, August 27, 2023, 11:11:08 »

It’s already been mentioned, but it’s difficult to overstate how important Austin is, even when he’s not scoring goals. His presence alone means defenders are constantly worried about him and adjusting to what he’s up to, creating so much space for the likes of Young and Kemp. We are very, very fortunate to have him. His piggyback after Young’s (fourth?) goal is an image which pretty much sums him up.

Also thought Shade took his goal really well and should have had two. His reviews weren’t great after Tuesday but he didn’t look disinterested yesterday. Could there be a player there?
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: Sunday, August 27, 2023, 11:16:47 »

Who the fuck voted for Liam Kinsella?
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: Sunday, August 27, 2023, 11:21:54 »

Liam Kinsella

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
DMC

« Reply #355 on: Sunday, August 27, 2023, 11:31:22 »

Stay out of this
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: Sunday, August 27, 2023, 11:32:13 »

Stay out of this

Should have known  Cheesy
WEBBERhyde

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: Sunday, August 27, 2023, 11:33:17 »

Very enjoyable after the opening 20 mins that. No point in stating the same as what many others have said, it’s all relevant. Things that haven’t been touched on so much;

Khans first half was as good as any I’ve seen. As a box to box midfield performance, it was immense.
Kemp and young just seem to be completely telepathic, largely made by Kemps incredibly good “pass and move” play. So simple but so effective. As mentioned, if young wasn’t the one receiving the ball, the ball to Austin would be equally as easy and effective.
That was the closest to “total football” I remember actually seeing. There were moments where we had two centre backs and wing backs in open play baring down on the oppo penalty area whilst midfielders and forwards held some sort of fort further back.
Not getting too excited just yet as Crawley were incredibly soft, bigger, savvy-er teams will obviously be a different proposition as the season progresses.
Can kind of see how Crawley have got some good results early in the season. Credit to SL, that opening 20 minutes was far more enterprising and energetic than anything we saw for Swindon last season. They could maybe should have been 2 or 3 up in the opening 15 minutes. The game would have been a different proposition then, clearly. Thankfully they didn’t have the energy to press that high up the pitch beyond that 25 minutes. Reinforces my belief that the turgidity of last season was as much to do with Sandro as it was SL.

Get the feeling this is going to be a real rollercoaster season, both on the pitch and in the January transfer window. Just got to try and enjoy it for now.
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: Sunday, August 27, 2023, 11:38:39 »

Very enjoyable after the opening 20 mins that. No point in stating the same as what many others have said, it’s all relevant. Things that haven’t been touched on so much;

Khans first half was as good as any I’ve seen. As a box to box midfield performance, it was immense.
Kemp and young just seem to be completely telepathic, largely made by Kemps incredibly good “pass and move” play. So simple but so effective. As mentioned, if young wasn’t the one receiving the ball, the ball to Austin would be equally as easy and effective.
That was the closest to “total football” I remember actually seeing. There were moments where we had two centre backs and wing backs in open play baring down on the oppo penalty area whilst midfielders and forwards held some sort of fort further back.
Not getting too excited just yet as Crawley were incredibly soft, bigger, savvy-er teams will obviously be a different proposition as the season progresses.
Can kind of see how Crawley have got some good results early in the season. Credit to SL, that opening 20 minutes was far more enterprising and energetic than anything we saw for Swindon last season. They could maybe should have been 2 or 3 up in the opening 15 minutes. The game would have been a different proposition then, clearly. Thankfully they didn’t have the energy to press that high up the pitch beyond that 25 minutes. Reinforces my belief that the turgidity of last season was as much to do with Sandro as it was SL.

Get the feeling this is going to be a real rollercoaster season, both on the pitch and in the January transfer window. Just got to try and enjoy it for now.

My mate hasn’t seen much of Khan before yesterday and he said what you’ve said about him. He was absolutely immense yesterday, a real quality showing. I think a lot of us held him in high regard last season too, it was just his temperament that was in question. Between himself and Flynn that certainly seems to have been an issue that’s now ironed out. He’s going to be vital this term
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: Sunday, August 27, 2023, 11:45:05 »

My theory on Khan is that he's a high chaos player who is absolutely thriving in a high chaos system. His worst games last season were when he was called upon to play a highly disciplined tactical role pretending to be Louis Reed - that's not him, he wants to be the all action, involved in everything midfielder. There's a bit of Steven Gerrard in him in that way - although his shooting is nothing like as good.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 29   Go Up
Print
Jump to: