Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Great Moments  (Read 8717 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, August 24, 2023, 15:02:41 »

1-1 draw with Swansea on New Year’s Day.

Barry Corr sent off after 20 minutes.
Pretty certain Dave ‘Budgie’ Byrne was in caretaker charge at this point.
Rather than playing 441 with 1 upfront he took Zaaboub off straight away and bought Paynter on to go 432 and play for the win.

This was against top of the league and future champions Swansea who had won 6 on the bounce.

I remember us giving it a bloody good go and being fully in the match (although the video highlights don’t really show this)

Swansea scored in the 87th minute

…and again the video doesn’t show this but this is how I remember it anyway…

The CG just roared when Swansea scored. Like a pure primal animalistic roar. All the home fans in unison. No ‘for fuck sake Swindon’ no ‘same old Swindon’ I was back of the Nationwide I couldn’t hear the Swansea fans celebrating their goal.

That roar really galvanised the players and we got up and went right back at Swansea even though it was after 90 minutes. We then got a last minute penalty which Coxy tucked away and we got a point against the league leaders whilst playing with 10 men for nearly 80 minutes.

Never before or since have I even heard a roar like that for the CG - let alone after conceding a goal.

…the video highlights literally show none of what I mentioned above - so I hope it wasn’t some sort of fever dream and someone else remembers it like I do

Absolutely remember this, and particularly remember it being about as soft a penalty as you can get and not giving the slightest fuck.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, August 24, 2023, 15:03:42 »

Cox gets taken out!
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, August 24, 2023, 15:04:46 »

Cox was a superb player. Shame we never got to "bring him home" for "one last dance" etc etc.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, August 24, 2023, 15:07:20 »

Who could forget these 2 belters from Steve Robinson. Nothing better than standing in the Cuckoo Lane watching them hit the net
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, August 24, 2023, 15:18:57 »

How could we not forget this one Jimmy / Venks.

The Commentary Man, just superb.
What a time to be alive.

I did forget the Watford game even tho I was there in the Townend! Also Swansea away on the Boxing Day was a great day.

You just gotta keep livin man!
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, August 24, 2023, 15:48:04 »

The manager pelting down the wing makes for a good memory.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, August 24, 2023, 16:00:37 »

Didn't turn out great but what a moment
Mrs was fuming after this goal as I nearly punched out the patio doors celebrating. Kind of killed the moment.
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, August 24, 2023, 16:34:03 »

Swindon losing 3-2 to Blackburn in the (league cup?) is one of my earliest memories. Think I’m right in saying goals by Finney and The Chief put us 2-0 up before a Shearer master class, and Bodin missing a penalty at the death. If I’ve got any of that wrong one of my very earliest memories isn’t that clear.

Perhaps not a great moment per se as we lost, but a brilliant game where we held are own for large parts and even bested them at others.
« Last Edit: Thursday, August 24, 2023, 16:38:16 by Qunk » Logged
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, August 24, 2023, 16:43:26 »

Swindon losing 3-2 to Blackburn in the (league cup?) is one of my earliest memories. Think I’m right in saying goals by Finney and The Chief put us 2-0 up before a Shearer master class, and Bodin missing a penalty at the death. If I’ve got any of that wrong one of my very earliest memories isn’t that clear.

Perhaps not a great moment per se as we lost, but a brilliant game where we held are own for large parts and even bested them at others.

Shearer was probably close to the peak of his powers then.

He suddenly realised Blackburn had a game on their hands and just turned it on, won the game and that was that. Such a phenomenal player.

Even if we’d won - I think it was still two legs back then…
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, August 24, 2023, 16:49:31 »

Shearer was probably close to the peak of his powers then.

He suddenly realised Blackburn had a game on their hands and just turned it on, won the game and that was that. Such a phenomenal player.

Even if we’d won - I think it was still two legs back then…

Pretty sure it was the same year he moved to Newcastle so yup, peak Shearer
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, August 24, 2023, 17:04:44 »

Pretty sure it was the same year he moved to Newcastle so yup, peak Shearer

Blackburn were the Champions of England at the time so would have been the early stages of the 95/96 season. So less than a year later he would have shown out at Euro 96 & gone home to Newcastle…
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, August 24, 2023, 17:35:45 »

Found it. Shearer’s second…talk about a thumping finish.

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, August 24, 2023, 17:37:17 »

😎
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, August 24, 2023, 17:40:33 »

Found it. Shearer’s second…talk about a thumping finish.

I was there  Roll Eyes

Saw Shearer play at Southampton alongside Le Tissier.
Scored a header right in front of me to beat Chelsea at the Dell, from an MLT corner. I was in the away end 🙂
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, August 24, 2023, 17:41:07 »

This one still gives goose pimples. Charlie, Charlie Henry's volley against the Gills and runs half the length of the pitch. If you were there you knew how loud it was when that went in.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: