Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Great Moments  (Read 8427 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #75 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 11:20:09 »

Wasn't sure where to stick this post...

I saw someone online mentioning the 1990 Play Off win and subsequent shenanigans and saying that Honda had been on the verge of getting involved, or words to that effect.

Anyone know about that?
I was working at the club then and yes it is true that discussions were ongoing between the club and Honda over investment. Honda wanted a top board member and chairman but also insisted that we play in white and green the corporate colour scheme of Honda.

It was said to be a very large investment of several million with them taking over the club almost entirely, but no agreement actually got close to being sorted out.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 15:45:18 »

I was working at the club then and yes it is true that discussions were ongoing between the club and Honda over investment. Honda wanted a top board member and chairman but also insisted that we play in white and green the corporate colour scheme of Honda.

It was said to be a very large investment of several million with them taking over the club almost entirely, but no agreement actually got close to being sorted out.

Would they have settled on a white and green away kit I wonder?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #77 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 15:59:22 »

Would they have settled on a white and green away kit I wonder?
I think that was just one of the provisos, I dont think it came down to that, more likely that they wanted the controlling share of the club. IIRC Sir Seton Wills ended up as new owner after the Honda deal collapsed.

Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 16:39:45 »

Interesting 'what if?' Thanks for the info.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 16:58:38 »

Definitely is. I wonder why it collapsed so quickly. I had heard this before growing up in relation to the board member thing potentially being an issue but my dads a taxi driver so took the info with a heavy grain of salt as he could have got it from anywhere.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #80 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 17:46:22 »

Definitely is. I wonder why it collapsed so quickly. I had heard this before growing up in relation to the board member thing potentially being an issue but my dads a taxi driver so took the info with a heavy grain of salt as he could have got it from anywhere.
IIRC talks were ongoing for a few months, it wasnt over quickly. I also heard the club approached Honda not visa versa, no idea how close it actually got but there were talks between the club and Honda.

Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 17:57:14 »

Strange that to my knowledge we never really managed to get them on board in any capacity after that.

A lot of the bigger companies in the Town seem to avoid the club. WH Smith another for example. Intel have dipped in and out.

Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Thursday, September 7, 2023, 09:54:15 »

Was thinking about Super Sammy Parkin...

I feel like he's been a bit hard done by being missed off the 'Striker Mural' at the CG. Scored many more than Coxy and Chaz.

A real hero of mine. I saw him as a sort of lower league Alan Shearer type. A proper number 9.

Provided many great moments. I had a T-shirt from the club shop that said "Is it a bird, is it a plane, no it's Super Sam!"

Kaufman

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Thursday, September 7, 2023, 10:05:02 »

I feel like he's been a bit hard done by being missed off the 'Striker Mural' at the CG. Scored many more than Coxy and Chaz.

A real hero of mine. I saw him as a sort of lower league Alan Shearer type. A proper number 9.

Provided many great moments. I had a T-shirt from the club shop that said "Is it a bird, is it a plane, no it's Super Sam!"

I watched this a couple of months back and asked Sam why on earth he was taking his first few penalties with this left and then switched to his right later on. He'd had no idea why Smiley
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Thursday, September 7, 2023, 10:39:54 »

Loved SSP. Always felt like we had a chance with him on the pitch.

Remember the rumours of him leaving and then watching him drive away after the last game of the season before signing for Ipswich.

Sad for 15 year old me!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #85 on: Thursday, September 7, 2023, 10:56:36 »

Obviously you are a bit too young to remember him but big Dunc the hunk Shearer was probably the closest player we ever had to Alan Shearer, a proper all round number 10 with pace, great finishing with both feet, could hit long shots and head a ball too. Scored 97 goals for Town in 192 games. The perfect number 9.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=630922070723071

Watch this, skip forward to 21:10 and see the turn and finish vs Watford, amazing striker and he did that many times for Town.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Thursday, September 7, 2023, 11:22:14 »

Remember when we bid £250,000 for Mick Channon?

How did we have that sort of money then?
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Thursday, September 7, 2023, 11:26:31 »

I'm always amazed at the transfer money from back before the ITV Digital bust...

Mark Robinson for £600k in 1994 being a prime example!!

I get that Bosman changed everything and that the wages are probably where the money goes now but still...
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Thursday, September 7, 2023, 11:29:47 »

Yeah. What’s the equivalent of £250,000 nowadays.

Just checked £4.25m!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #89 on: Thursday, September 7, 2023, 11:42:45 »

The money from the 4th round of the FA vs Spurs and the LC QF vs Arsenal and SF vs Wolves.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: