Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wrexham v Swindon Town pre match drivel and matchday thread  (Read 27413 times)
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #540 on: Sunday, August 20, 2023, 08:08:44 »

STFC: The Entertainers.

It’s going to be exciting/heartbreaking in equal measure but after years of tippy tippy dross shite (and I include Garner in that other than the run in) I couldn’t be happier.

Get FBT to LWB and stick a ox of a defender in and we are in with a shout of the play offs.

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #541 on: Sunday, August 20, 2023, 08:18:04 »

My concern with the back 3 is that you kind of need FBT and UGM's skillsets to do what we're doing going forward - I don't think Brewitt or Minturn could play outside of that central position (although Tuesday night's game is a good chance to test that!). Brewitt is the one player that it feels like we could improve on (taller, more experienced CB) but he's not done anything particularly wrong himself.

When we're trying to hold a lead, I think this formation is actually quite unhelpful - it's set up to have almost every player on the pitch bar Brewitt and Kinsella if he's on contributing to attacks, which makes us great going forward, but there a lot of passengers defensively if we're under siege. Oddly going to a back four with FBT/UGM at full backs is probably more solid, putting Genesini into midfield.

On Tuesday I'd like to see us try: (assuming we have to keep a degree of first team players around)

Mahoney

Brewitt (RCB)
Minturn (CB)
Ward (LCB)

Uwakwe (LWB)
Genesini (RWB)

Kinsella
Khan
Cain

Young (RHM if fit)
Wakeling
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #542 on: Sunday, August 20, 2023, 08:19:56 »

Still hurting here.
Taking the positive that Flynn knows, of course he does. Imagine that big tall FGR Centre Half yesterday in the Centre of Defence.
League Two gets ugly, clear to see we are Technically very good but have to address the basic route one bombardment at this level, Wrexham the best in class at it.

The referee was not giving us much towards the end.
All our goals avoidable which makes it worse.

Cracking atmosphere yesterday.
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #543 on: Sunday, August 20, 2023, 08:28:42 »

My concern with the back 3 is that you kind of need FBT and UGM's skillsets to do what we're doing going forward - I don't think Brewitt or Minturn could play outside of that central position (although Tuesday night's game is a good chance to test that!). Brewitt is the one player that it feels like we could improve on (taller, more experienced CB) but he's not done anything particularly wrong himself.

When we're trying to hold a lead, I think this formation is actually quite unhelpful - it's set up to have almost every player on the pitch bar Brewitt and Kinsella if he's on contributing to attacks, which makes us great going forward, but there a lot of passengers defensively if we're under siege. Oddly going to a back four with FBT/UGM at full backs is probably more solid, putting Genesini into midfield.

On Tuesday I'd like to see us try: (assuming we have to keep a degree of first team players around)

Mahoney

Brewitt (RCB)
Minturn (CB)
Ward (LCB)

Uwakwe (LWB)
Genesini (RWB)

Kinsella
Khan
Cain

Young (RHM if fit)
Wakeling

Totally agree with this, and that’s been my observation watching the games. Brewitt is left holding the baby when Dokes and FBT go marauding, and no one from midfield sits in properly.

This is actually a structural/tactical issue Flynn needs to refine.

If we replace Brewitt with Mr B. Shithouse of Six Foot Seven Avenue, he could become a useful sub that comes on for McEachran or Kemp to either sit in front of the defence or drop in.

I’d still like to see Hutton wide of a front three. Such an asset but you’d honestly be better with Stephen Hawking defensively.
The way that he is ghosted past for one of their early goals yesterday was embarrassing to watch.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #544 on: Sunday, August 20, 2023, 08:33:11 »

Mahoney

Brewitt (RCB)
Minturn (CB)
Ward (LCB)

Uwakwe (LWB)
Genesini (RWB)

Kinsella
Khan
Cain

Young (RHM if fit)
Wakeling

I see what you’re saying about the formation / shape not being particularly great when defending. It’s not unless you have super energetic, super talented wing backs who can play as ‘proper’ wing backs and defend / attacking in equal measure to the same standard. L2 wing backs just aren’t going to be good enough to do that.

However, I can’t remember the exact minutes but maybe from about 65-85 we showed attack was the best form of defence. If we have the ball in the final third Wrexham (or anyone else) can’t score & if they are desperately trying to score we are just as likely to hit them on the break - as we did.

Why we suddenly sat back on 85 minutes I don’t know. I reckon that period mentioned above was the only time we didn’t look like conceding.

I’m sure a lot of people - myself included would have thought about taking Austin or Kemp off and bringing on another defender / full back and going 541 to see the game out but think that would have just invited more pressure on us.

That shift in mentality around 85 minutes fucked us
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #545 on: Sunday, August 20, 2023, 08:43:35 »

at 5-3 if have sacrificed Kemp and brought another midfielder on to fight for the ball.

someone like... oh yeah.

Cain is a ball lover not a fighter
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #546 on: Sunday, August 20, 2023, 09:05:50 »

The morning after the afternoon before.
A long but enjoyable day. Shit journey back.

For those with an interest in club stats I reckon that was our first ever 5-5 scoreline in a league match.
Skimmed all the way back to start of Southern League in 1894-95.
Hoping not to be proved wrong as it's an interesting addition to club history if correct.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #547 on: Sunday, August 20, 2023, 09:09:41 »

Just enjoy the ride, guys. Playing this style of Flynnball will see us in the top 7. After the years of Brown, Flitcroft, Williams, Garner, Lindsey and Morris it’s a breath of fresh air.

He’s no mug, he knows what we see and how to fix it. Personally, I wouldn’t want a CB thug and a midfield thug if it dilutes the football we are playing now.

Viva Flynn!
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #548 on: Sunday, August 20, 2023, 09:18:05 »

I finally plucked up courage to watch the extended highlights back.

As picked up above, the cavalier approach of FBT and UGM cost us big time. Now you can press forward as a defender if you know your fellow defenders are covering, but you don't do it when they are out of position.

Just look at their third goal! FBT goes charging out and is caught in midfield with 3 Wrexham players walking through the middle of defence with noone near them. That's because UGM has charged out to midfield on the right to try to get to their 9 - Both UGM and Hutton are then jogging back without a care in the world. Khan plays 9 year old soccer and follows the ball out left. He leaves the middle of the park empty and goes to where where Brewitt is trying to cover the man who waltzes past FBT. (Genesini's has also left his man on the wing to help Brewitt)!

The penalty is very soft, but why is FBT pulling Tozer to the ground? He gives Tozer the opportunity to fall and the ref to give the decision.

The first goal, FBT goes rushing out to RB and gets skinned. Hutton, who was out of position has two chances to put in a tackle and doesn't

When you are leading by 2 or 3 goals, there is no need for the defenders to go rampaging forward. Sit in, keep it tight. And at that point Mr Flynn, bring on an extra defensive midfielder to break down play there. Sacrifice one of the front two - Young had run himself into the ground. Austin is only supposed to be there to score goals, which weren't needed at 5-3!

Don't compress play into a single defensive line. The midfield should protect the back CBs. The wing backs sit as RB and LB to stop the opposition getting balls in from wide. The forward line helps protect the midfield, but is primarily the outlet from defence who chase hoofs or win freekicks from holidng the ball up. The holding play allows the lines behind to move out and maintain a two line formation that can reset to prepare to defend again. Its not rocket science!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #549 on: Sunday, August 20, 2023, 09:51:06 »

I know he’s headed for cult hero status but does anyone think Dokes has been defensively “good”?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #550 on: Sunday, August 20, 2023, 10:04:31 »

I know he’s headed for cult hero status but does anyone think Dokes has been defensively “good”?

Not particularly.

Think he might be better suited to RWB but also think the way he pushes forward, draws the defender in and opens up the space for Hutton on the outside is vital to how we play.

You could say similar about FBT on the left.

Which again - leads us to Brewitt. Capable, yes. Top tier L2 CB, no.
In some instances we could do with a bigger, stronger, shithouse CB there but he would also need to be very mobile because if he’s was big, strong and slow(er) than average he’d be fucked when Dokes & FBT leave him exploded.

More so we need a capable DM who sits in front of the three CBs when they are there but drops in with the middle CB when one or both of Dokes & FBT aren’t there
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #551 on: Sunday, August 20, 2023, 10:16:39 »

Not particularly.

Think he might be better suited to RWB but also think the way he pushes forward, draws the defender in and opens up the space for Hutton on the outside is vital to how we play.

In some instances we could do with a bigger, stronger, shithouse CB there but he would also need to be very mobile because if he’s was big, strong and slow(er) than average he’d be fucked when Dokes & FBT leave him exploded.

More so we need a capable DM who sits in front of the three CBs when they are there but drops in with the middle CB when one or both of Dokes & FBT aren’t there

Agreed, I think in this system a giant beast playing in Brewitt’s position would be massively exposed.

So get FBT to LB and aim to get one in there.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #552 on: Sunday, August 20, 2023, 10:17:51 »

Not particularly.

I was wondering how Dokes would do at RWB myself actually.

Maybe we would push Dokes and FBT as our wing backs and get a whole new back line in  Cheesy.
Swindon Please Win

Ignore
« Reply #553 on: Sunday, August 20, 2023, 10:20:34 »

Only just stomached watching the highlights, how the fuck did they give that free kick for handball at the end?

Defensively looked awful though, please hurry up and sign a new big centre back.
SleafordRobin

Ignore
« Reply #554 on: Sunday, August 20, 2023, 10:22:19 »

When you are leading by 2 or 3 goals, there is no need for the defenders to go rampaging forward. Sit in, keep it tight. And at that point Mr Flynn, bring on an extra defensive midfielder to break down play there. Sacrifice one of the front two - Young had run himself into the ground. Austin is only supposed to be there to score goals, which weren't needed at 5-3!

Young & Austin were knackered, I thought Flynn would have taken both off & replaced with Minturn & Wakling, the first to bolster the defence, we were playing so deep anyway, & Wakeling would have given us the option of pace up top. At 90mins I thought this would have been the sensible thing to do
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41   Go Up
Print
Jump to: