Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 ... 102   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Preseason 23/24  (Read 116977 times)
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #1260 on: Saturday, July 22, 2023, 19:22:24 »

For better or worse there seems to be a feeling that we're falling behind even the smaller league 2 clubs with a lack of transfer activity knowing that the current squad was threadbare before any injuries.

This time 2 seasons ago we had about 8 players and hadn’t made one signing.

We finished in the play offs and we were a penalty away from Wembley.

When they are signed is completely irrelevant, they just need to be good.
dogs

Ignore
« Reply #1261 on: Saturday, July 22, 2023, 19:39:20 »

Not sure what's in the water but it has truly been silly season when it comes to money in league 2. Make no doubt about it, Flynn is doing the right thing by biding his time and not bowing to silly fan conjecture.

We'd agreed terms with a CB at the same time as Kemp, but they all but failed the medical and it fell through last Friday.
There's a plethora of options out there, but with the timing of the window being what it is and more players than ever being represented by the same agents, only those desperate enough to sign specific players will pay.

MF is more than aware of what we need and come the end of August we'll be in a more than strong position. This year is the time to put faith in the club and not panic.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1262 on: Saturday, July 22, 2023, 19:39:56 »

Flynns words today were on the lines of once the fans see who I'm after, it will have been worth the wait kind of vibe. That feeling you describe above could hopefully be eased of Flynn pulls this off.
great news if it comes off.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1263 on: Saturday, July 22, 2023, 19:43:52 »

That sounds great and I hope it comes off, but the list of teams desperate enough to make permanent signings now seems to include every other team in the division, including ones without very much money.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1264 on: Saturday, July 22, 2023, 20:05:14 »

This time 2 seasons ago we had about 8 players and hadn’t made one signing.

We finished in the play offs and we were a penalty away from Wembley.

When they are signed is completely irrelevant, they just need to be good.

Spot on quality over quantity as long as we get them in.

Good point regarding two seasons ago when we only had 8 players on the books and crazy to think they gelled straight away without any proper pre-season so credit must go to Garner and his backroom staff.

So, give no fucks
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #1265 on: Saturday, July 22, 2023, 20:20:00 »

Finally got round to listening to Flynn today:
- Should have scored more
- If it was 5-0 at half time noone would have thought we didnt deserve it
- When we add a couple to it it will be better
- Stop start with different philosophies last year
- Will be working with Hepburn-Murphy to try to improve him
- Kemp settling in well. Some players need to learn from him. Does the right things at the right times. Will be a big signing for us
- Style and structure is where Flynn wants it to be
- Bristol City first hour and Swansea first half were excellent. We need more strength in depth
- More than pleased until we made changes
- Aguilar gone to Worthing. Has to take 2 steps back to move 3 steps forward. Was frustrated last year.
- Shade is out for a few weeks.......Slight tear in abductor. Not as bad as Clayton's
- Lavinier: Not concerned. Went over on his angle
- Not urgent to bring players in. Won't be bringing in players for the sake of it
- Made lots of changes. More interested to see how young lads and trialists did.
- Wanted to see attitudes of the others
- Wouldnt say how many he wants to bring in
- Will try to get the right ones
- Not seeing a dip in player costs yet
- Certain players he is going for will cost what it costs
- Doesnt mean he will go out and sign someone who isnt his first target
- Need to be patient
- In an ideal world he would have all business done by now to focus on the league
- Flynn and Jamie Russell are on the phone lots
- 1 or 2 going out to get game time
- There will be some activity before the start of the season
- Players he would like to bring you would like to think will settle quite early
- Not by plan that it is taking so long. It is what it is. Flynn is quite relaxed about it
- Looking to add experience. The right players with the right attitude that will improve us
- Will work players hard this week
- Jamie Russell talking with a player while Flynn was driving home

(Note: His main answer to everything was 'It is what it is')

Corrected: I put Hatswell rather than Russell to begin with - Flynn actually said 'Jamie' - My mistake)
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 22, 2023, 20:28:27 by Nomoreheroes » Logged

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Kaufman

Ignore
« Reply #1266 on: Saturday, July 22, 2023, 20:26:07 »

Good to see it written down after listening.
One thing to say is it wasn’t Wayne Hatswell talking to the player, it was Jamie Russell he mentioned (now HOF)
Can only be a positive as that means contracts and wages are being spoken about.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #1267 on: Saturday, July 22, 2023, 20:26:47 »

Good to see it written down after listening.
One thing to say is it wasn’t Wayne Hatswell talking to the player, it’s Jamie Russell who’s HOF now.
Can only be a positive as that means contracts and wages are being spoken about.
Sorry. My bad. I'll change it.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #1268 on: Sunday, July 23, 2023, 08:43:30 »

It’s literally not worth Clem, Rob Angus or even Flynn for that matter giving any interviews as no one believes a word they say anyway.

Rob Angus and Flynn have both said we have a competitive budget this season but fans have decided we are skint.

But why do you think that is the case? Ok "some" Fans are morons - granted. All Clubs have them but not everyone is totally brainless so why is it then that people are thinking the club are skint/Clem not wanting to put more money than necessary/not speculating to accumulate?

Maybe it's because actions speak louder than words possibly? Fair, there is some time to go yet (not much) but as time ticks on we're yet to see actions backing up the words. Does that make any perceivable sense?

Let's factor in that Town fans have been rogered the fuck out of with constant "orw mowf an no trowsahs" types in straddling two decades so it is possible several fans could have become a "Doubting Thomas". Maybe that is slightly skewed and unfair on the current board/owner?!

I will ask though, and flip this back at you (or anyone else) though...why do you seemingly have an inherently unbudgeable trust that you beleive their every word and that they will follow through and deliver upon said word(s)? Like, what makes you think that that is more correct than someone who disagrees with that?

For me, I'm torn because I obviously want this current ownership to all work out but a lot of the time I've seen the equivalent of political spin from the club mouthpiece and several bumbling answers as well as an implied guilt imposed upon fans for not backing the club enough (when they genuinely really have), this goes back to the bad taste of things like season ticket refund deferrals which again I found the approach to that absolutely disgusting from the club at the time.

It feels like...note I state "feels like" and not "it is"... feels like the people at the helm (I'm talking CM & RA) are out of their depth in terms of running a Football Club, there are elements at times which has me thinking that they seem more inept than Power (from a football contact POV not necessarily a business POV) and yep again, in recent history it seems like Town fans have had their share of shysters and chances to last a lifetime. I'm not saying that the current regime are this but I do think they aren't quite adept at running a pro football club. Which is probably why a lot of the stuff feels very non-league/tinpot at times.

Now budget... well unfortunately like it or lump it, no matter what RA or CM say, at present it does appear that Town can't compete with say 8 other teams in this division. We can argue till we're red in the face whether this is an exaggerated or over inflated market but if that is where the market is currently at then Town can't compete with that. Flynn himself has stated as such, he's said that he won't pay more...but if that's what the current market dictates then the price is the price...yes we can wait...but we could wait too long miss targets and still have to pay in an overpriced market. It's like buying and selling houses, yes the market fluctuates but when in a position where you have to purchase...you can't really have the luxury of waiting. Even if you know the market is higher than normal. What might be a £200k house now, might be £180k in two years, could be £240k but you literally can't wait to see if it does. I feel very much like it's a big gamble currently. Some might say it's shrewd or "poker" but I thought we were wanting out new board to play safe?

I guess what it then comes down to is this...What if the current market shift doesn't really drop much? And this is the new normal as such? Town suddenly and definitely do become a club that can't compete with L2 wages, without sourcing additional investment (if we assume CM doesn't want to put any more significant personal finance into the club).

We can keep kicking the can down the road though - people did it with Power for a long time and look where that nearly got us. I want to be 100% and massively wrong about all of the above but many of us are too long in the tooth to know that at Town that a disaster is seemingly always awaiting us around the corner of recent success/positivity. I don't want the club to be run like a non-league club bug I also don't want it to ridiculously overspend - I can be happy with a club that gets out of L2 at the earliest opportunity and is a competitive L1 club but right now Town are so far away from even that kind of mediocre objective and that is probably the saddest indictment of it all. Blegh.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #1269 on: Sunday, July 23, 2023, 08:44:33 »

DVs the best poster this forum has ever had.

2nd best Shirley  Girl Giggle

'Incessant Nonsense'

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #1270 on: Sunday, July 23, 2023, 08:45:30 »

Rather than coming out and saying it publicly they should have posted in behind a faceless anonymous user name on an internet forum - then they would have been believed

Or they could have done it via Cameo...there's a thought... Oh 👀

'Incessant Nonsense'

TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #1271 on: Sunday, July 23, 2023, 09:33:57 »

But why do you think that is the case? Ok "some" Fans are morons - granted. All Clubs have them but not everyone is totally brainless so why is it then that people are thinking the club are skint/Clem not wanting to put more money than necessary/not speculating to accumulate?

Maybe it's because actions speak louder than words possibly? Fair, there is some time to go yet (not much) but as time ticks on we're yet to see actions backing up the words. Does that make any perceivable sense?

Let's factor in that Town fans have been rogered the fuck out of with constant "orw mowf an no trowsahs" types in straddling two decades so it is possible several fans could have become a "Doubting Thomas". Maybe that is slightly skewed and unfair on the current board/owner?!

I will ask though, and flip this back at you (or anyone else) though...why do you seemingly have an inherently unbudgeable trust that you beleive their every word and that they will follow through and deliver upon said word(s)? Like, what makes you think that that is more correct than someone who disagrees with that?

For me, I'm torn because I obviously want this current ownership to all work out but a lot of the time I've seen the equivalent of political spin from the club mouthpiece and several bumbling answers as well as an implied guilt imposed upon fans for not backing the club enough (when they genuinely really have), this goes back to the bad taste of things like season ticket refund deferrals which again I found the approach to that absolutely disgusting from the club at the time.

It feels like...note I state "feels like" and not "it is"... feels like the people at the helm (I'm talking CM & RA) are out of their depth in terms of running a Football Club, there are elements at times which has me thinking that they seem more inept than Power (from a football contact POV not necessarily a business POV) and yep again, in recent history it seems like Town fans have had their share of shysters and chances to last a lifetime. I'm not saying that the current regime are this but I do think they aren't quite adept at running a pro football club. Which is probably why a lot of the stuff feels very non-league/tinpot at times.

Now budget... well unfortunately like it or lump it, no matter what RA or CM say, at present it does appear that Town can't compete with say 8 other teams in this division. We can argue till we're red in the face whether this is an exaggerated or over inflated market but if that is where the market is currently at then Town can't compete with that. Flynn himself has stated as such, he's said that he won't pay more...but if that's what the current market dictates then the price is the price...yes we can wait...but we could wait too long miss targets and still have to pay in an overpriced market. It's like buying and selling houses, yes the market fluctuates but when in a position where you have to purchase...you can't really have the luxury of waiting. Even if you know the market is higher than normal. What might be a £200k house now, might be £180k in two years, could be £240k but you literally can't wait to see if it does. I feel very much like it's a big gamble currently. Some might say it's shrewd or "poker" but I thought we were wanting out new board to play safe?

I guess what it then comes down to is this...What if the current market shift doesn't really drop much? And this is the new normal as such? Town suddenly and definitely do become a club that can't compete with L2 wages, without sourcing additional investment (if we assume CM doesn't want to put any more significant personal finance into the club).

We can keep kicking the can down the road though - people did it with Power for a long time and look where that nearly got us. I want to be 100% and massively wrong about all of the above but many of us are too long in the tooth to know that at Town that a disaster is seemingly always awaiting us around the corner of recent success/positivity. I don't want the club to be run like a non-league club bug I also don't want it to ridiculously overspend - I can be happy with a club that gets out of L2 at the earliest opportunity and is a competitive L1 club but right now Town are so far away from even that kind of mediocre objective and that is probably the saddest indictment of it all. Blegh.

Bang on - cracking post.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #1272 on: Sunday, July 23, 2023, 10:28:57 »

Now budget... well unfortunately like it or lump it, no matter what RA or CM say, at present it does appear that Town can't compete with say 8 other teams in this division. We can argue till we're red in the face whether this is an exaggerated or over inflated market but if that is where the market is currently at then Town can't compete with that. Flynn himself has stated as such, he's said that he won't pay more...but if that's what the current market dictates then the price is the price...yes we can wait...but we could wait too long miss targets and still have to pay in an overpriced market.

I'm intrigued what you think your evidence for this is? Who have we bid for and missed out on? Who would we prefer to have kept that we released because someone league out of the water on wages?

We can speculate about Williams, but we don't know what he's now being paid to play at the club nearest to his family home or what, if anything, he was offered to stay here. So speculation is all it is. The FGR fella wasn't offered a deal here and went back home as soon as Ferguson left so we weren't outbid there.

So who have we been in for that we missed out on? Even the sites that trade on vague speculation have barely mentioned us this closed season.

All we actually know is that we've not had a flood of signings yet and that the players we've let go in the last couple of windows have probably reduced the wage bill a fair bit. We'll know what that means only when the window shuts or if the club state that they're looking to reduce the wage bill.

Until then it's entirely possible that there are targets that are being worked on that we are not aware of. The kind of player you all say we need tend to move late in the window, as they tend to have more options to weigh up and the confidence to not jump at their first offer.

..never go back.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #1273 on: Sunday, July 23, 2023, 10:31:00 »

Also Eastleigh drew 0-0 at home to a full strength piss stains team
They did but it wasnt anywhere near a full strength team put out by the yellow hun, they had 2 games the same day and split the squad.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1274 on: Sunday, July 23, 2023, 10:47:55 »

thanks for taking time to post that nmh. Sounds encouraging if non committal
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 ... 102   Go Up
Print
Jump to: