Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Morris Dancing  (Read 37798 times)
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: Sunday, April 30, 2023, 11:12:16 »

I agree.
Think we will stick with Morris - gotta hope he hits the ground running. If he doesn’t it’s another season wasted because we’ll bring in a new manager who will need to time & his owns players, probably a summer to get get and go again.

Hindsight and all that but this season we probably would have been better off sticking with Gav.

In hindsight this is probably true, the problem is that we actually felt that the playoffs were still possible in January if the new manager could turn things around.

The other thing with Gav was he played with no fear as he wasn't concerned that losing would cost him his job. Whether he would have continued that way if he got the job to the end of the season, who knows (would have been a bit more exciting though, that's for sure)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: Sunday, April 30, 2023, 11:16:14 »

I know they’ve blown the title but I think Arteta shows what can happen if you stick with a manager. Looked an absolute lame duck and everyone was calling for his head.

I see “Hanners” saying he’s Sherwood Mk 2, which is a simply ridiculous statement. Sherwood was playing golf when we had a
game! Perhaps Morris didn’t want to go on his Podcast

Hanners coming in DoF.
Going to appointed Caddis.

You heard it here first.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: Sunday, April 30, 2023, 13:01:05 »

One issue clouding judgement of Morris is that there were a number of fans who were saying (on here and elsewhere) that we were underachieving before Christmas as we were “only 6th” under Lindsey - as this supported their narrative that he was the problem and should be sacked. In reality the signs were there then - Crewe and Walsall at home (Walsall’s last away win was on Boxing Day - guess where) - we struggled to create chances or test the opposition goalkeepers in a number of poor home performances. This squad has never been strong enough or deep enough, and has glaring gaps in it.
By the time Morris was confirmed the squad had been weakened by the departures of Gladwin, Reed and McDonald, and more importantly than those 3 leaving the replacements were not of the same calibre and left the side weaker.
He then came in to find a side weakened by injury and suspensions, and we signed a couple of free agents - of whom McEachran was obviously due to his past links with Morris - who have both done ok.
We can all see the issues with the squad - lack of physicality, lack of experience in key positions plus the lack of a proper target man.
The issue of not being able to hold a lead, as well as not having the experience and nous to feign injury and do all the time wasting and other skullduggery exhibited by Stevenage and others at the County Ground, is partly because we can’t seem to keep the ball in the opposition half when we clear it - previous Town teams have had players who can do this (Simpson or Davison from last year, Michael Smith, Jerry Yates and Kayne Woolley even Luke Norris are some examples from 2015 on) none of our attacking players can do this, and the gaps between the players we have playing up front mean that lay offs and knock ons result in us losing the ball.
It seems to me from his interviews that Morris knows what the issues are - and is trying to get his messages across to those above him in the Town hierarchy that we need to overhaul the squad while simultaneously trying to keep the players “onside” as any action has to wait until after Crawley next week.
I don’t think we can afford the financial hit from sacking him, nor do I think any replacement would necessarily be better - those who would opt for “mad Gav” based upon a couple of chaotic home games are crazy if they think that type of play will get us promoted.
As well as those he has played with/against or worked with subsequently, Morris’s contacts will also include those who were on his coaching course at the same time, and those who loaned players to Derby when he was there with Lampard, so hopefully better loanees next year too.
I say get behind Morris and Brand - as things will improve when they have sorted the squad.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: Sunday, April 30, 2023, 13:14:30 »

One issue clouding judgement of Morris is that there were a number of fans who were saying (on here and elsewhere) that we were underachieving before Christmas as we were “only 6th” under Lindsey - as this supported their narrative that he was the problem and should be sacked. In reality the signs were there then - Crewe and Walsall at home (Walsall’s last away win was on Boxing Day - guess where) - we struggled to create chances or test the opposition goalkeepers in a number of poor home performances. This squad has never been strong enough or deep enough, and has glaring gaps in it.
By the time Morris was confirmed the squad had been weakened by the departures of Gladwin, Reed and McDonald, and more importantly than those 3 leaving the replacements were not of the same calibre and left the side weaker.
He then came in to find a side weakened by injury and suspensions, and we signed a couple of free agents - of whom McEachran was obviously due to his past links with Morris - who have both done ok.
We can all see the issues with the squad - lack of physicality, lack of experience in key positions plus the lack of a proper target man.
The issue of not being able to hold a lead, as well as not having the experience and nous to feign injury and do all the time wasting and other skullduggery exhibited by Stevenage and others at the County Ground, is partly because we can’t seem to keep the ball in the opposition half when we clear it - previous Town teams have had players who can do this (Simpson or Davison from last year, Michael Smith, Jerry Yates and Kayne Woolley even Luke Norris are some examples from 2015 on) none of our attacking players can do this, and the gaps between the players we have playing up front mean that lay offs and knock ons result in us losing the ball.
It seems to me from his interviews that Morris knows what the issues are - and is trying to get his messages across to those above him in the Town hierarchy that we need to overhaul the squad while simultaneously trying to keep the players “onside” as any action has to wait until after Crawley next week.
I don’t think we can afford the financial hit from sacking him, nor do I think any replacement would necessarily be better - those who would opt for “mad Gav” based upon a couple of chaotic home games are crazy if they think that type of play will get us promoted.
As well as those he has played with/against or worked with subsequently, Morris’s contacts will also include those who were on his coaching course at the same time, and those who loaned players to Derby when he was there with Lampard, so hopefully better loanees next year too.
I say get behind Morris and Brand - as things will improve when they have sorted the squad.

Fair post and valid points you make and hope that Clem is honest enough to accept that he got it wrong by appointing Sandro and will give Morris the financial backing to rebuild the squad during the summer.

So, give no fucks
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: Sunday, April 30, 2023, 13:26:15 »

The problems you have highlighted re forwards unable to retain the ball to relieve pressure is heightened by the absence of midfield players either unable or unwilling to compete for clearances from our defenders . Invariably these are mopped up by the opposition and we are under the cosh again straight away.

What pisses me off more than anything is in numerous games I’ve watched us outplay teams for 20 minutes or so, looking superior in every way. The opposition look feeble and clueless. Yet, time after time, we flatter to deceive and collectively collapse in a heap.
Robinz

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: Sunday, April 30, 2023, 16:54:07 »

NHA
Totally agree and an excellent post. Just hope the critical posters on here can see your comments as correct as well.
There are / were cheap inexperienced senior employees in the club prior to the start of the season who made critical decisions with playing staff that caused this fuckdd up season.
These  staff were employed by Morfuni... therefore Morfunni is clearly nèds to take responsibility and blame.
With Garner and Chorley he got lucky. This year he didn't
Now hopefully the club on the pitch things will start to get better again.
Time will only tell.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: Sunday, April 30, 2023, 17:32:23 »

Some good post above but I'll put another spin on things for anyone in doubt that Morris should have done better after 18 games in charge. Take a look at the job two old pensioners Roy Hodgson & Neil Warnock have done since standing in for the rest of the season,  one is 74 the other 75 with no clipboard or fancy v neck jumper in sight, no new signings just hard work on the training ground and young footballers who weren't performing listening to what they have to say.
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 30, 2023, 17:35:33 by Jimmy QuitMoaning » Logged

So, give no fucks
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: Sunday, April 30, 2023, 17:39:56 »

Some good post above but I'll put another spin on things for anyone in doubt that Morris should have done better after 18 games in charge. Take a look at the job two old pensioners Roy Hodgson & Neil Warnock have done since standing in for the rest of the season,  one is 74 the other 75 with no clipboard or fancy v neck jumper in sight, no new signings just hard work on the training ground and young footballers who weren't performing listening to what they have to say.

I hear you but who thinks this team is underperforming? I genuinely don’t think that a consistent match winning XI can be found in this current squad. Woefully short in all departments. All the bollockings in the world from Warnock aren’t going to make Kadji a good player, or teach Hutton how to defend or make Darcy grow a foot.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: Sunday, April 30, 2023, 17:47:47 »

I hear you but who thinks this team is underperforming? I genuinely don’t think that a consistent match winning XI can be found in this current squad. Woefully short in all departments. All the bollockings in the world from Warnock aren’t going to make Kadji a good player, or teach Hutton how to defend or make Darcy grow a foot.

He would get them fitter and make them work harder tho let's not forget Huddersfield were bottom of the league before Warnock turned up.

So, give no fucks
Robinz

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: Sunday, April 30, 2023, 17:54:45 »

Simply put
Lipstick on a pig
Still a pig
This squad could have made it with some good fortune
Macdonald performing like he is currently for Aberdeen. Frenchy not getting injured, Khan not being sent off at Newport.. all critical moments and I sure there have been scores of other moments.
That said, we survived still in the Football league and with a manager that seems to know a thing or two as opposed to Lindsey who could only tell you what you wanted to hear.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: Sunday, April 30, 2023, 18:16:55 »

Simply put
Lipstick on a pig
Still a pig
This squad could have made it with some good fortune
Macdonald performing like he is currently for Aberdeen. Frenchy not getting injured, Khan not being sent off at Newport.. all critical moments and I sure there have been scores of other moments.
That said, we survived still in the Football league and with a manager that seems to know a thing or two as opposed to Lindsey who could only tell you what you wanted to hear.

Oh do fuck off you sheep shagging pious expat.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: Sunday, April 30, 2023, 18:22:20 »

Huddersfield’s captain, Hogg, has made more Premier League and Championship appearances than our Stevenage starting XI had EFL appearances in total. Their squad is littered with players with hundreds of career appearances (Pearson, Danny Ward, Jordan Rhodes etc etc). The comparison doesn’t work. The Palace team is no different.

There is a reason that literally no other club in the EFL has adopted our “model” of thinking a team with an average age of 22 made up of Academy dropouts with zero EFL appearances can succeed.

Morris has made mistakes for sure but Alex Ferguson isn’t getting our post January XI into the playoffs.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: Sunday, April 30, 2023, 18:23:56 »

I wasn't suggesting play offs just harder to beat and not switching off late in the games and giving soft goals away

So, give no fucks
Robinz

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: Sunday, April 30, 2023, 19:06:37 »

LL
Wonder why STFC will always be divided and generally under performing with supporters with a brain as addled as your latest comment.

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: Sunday, April 30, 2023, 19:16:04 »

Sounds like you've cracked open the homemade scrumpy LL  Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: