Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Morris Dancing  (Read 37831 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Sunday, April 30, 2023, 07:45:49 »

Fair enough - he’s not the clubs main or only problem overal.

Purely on the pitch though, he is…
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Sunday, April 30, 2023, 08:01:03 »

Fair enough - he’s not the clubs main or only problem overal.

Purely on the pitch though, he is…

Correct - I’m seriously worried that a man who can have so much experience is doing so much worse than Lindsey (despite a loss of a few players - I don’t think it should have impacted as much as it has)
adje

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Sunday, April 30, 2023, 08:32:54 »

DIV...  
Moving on Gladwin Reed
and Macdonald without any proven replacements.

Fair points but I'm pretty sure those 3 were gone before he arrived. He knew what he had but still took the job,so I'm presumably thinking he was happy with the squad he inherited. Bolstered it with a few of his own players and now seems to absolve himself of all responsibility

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: Sunday, April 30, 2023, 08:46:57 »

Another stat, only 3 of the 14 teams below us failed to win against us this season.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Sunday, April 30, 2023, 09:01:47 »

Another stat, only 3 of the 14 teams below us failed to win against us this season.
Another weird one( to me anyway). We have taken points at the grounds of all 9 teams above us bar Stevenage.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Sunday, April 30, 2023, 09:10:04 »

A big part of my “Morris in” thinking is that in a world of diminished budgets, playing a cute hand in the loan market is going to be key and he must have a better chance than your average L2 manager of attracting some good players. We saw that Garner did and as discussed that has been another dismal aspect of this season’s strategy.
The Million Pound Man

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Sunday, April 30, 2023, 09:53:46 »

Its just dawned on me that Morris and Gareth Barry were England U21 teammates. Coincidence I'm sure

Hmmm
Lemis

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: Sunday, April 30, 2023, 09:57:51 »

A big part of my “Morris in” thinking is that in a world of diminished budgets, playing a cute hand in the loan market is going to be key and he must have a better chance than your average L2 manager of attracting some good players. We saw that Garner did and as discussed that has been another dismal aspect of this season’s strategy.

For me, this is probably one of the main remaining selling points for Morris. He's got to have the connections up the pyramid for a few decent loanees to be sent our way. The loan with option to buy this year hasn't worked out, Brynn has been decent enough and Kadji isn't ready for professional football yet. For a club like us, our success is often judged by the quality of players we get on loan, this season's lot have missed the mark by some distance.

Have you seen the writing on the wall?
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Sunday, April 30, 2023, 10:06:23 »

Even if we accepted the players are awful, which I believe they are, and Morris can’t be at fault for that.

There is still no defending some of the bizarre team selections, substitutions, playing players out of position, injury record since he’s been in the job and the constant moaning in press conferences.

That’s all on him, we can’t blame Sandro for that.
Lemis

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: Sunday, April 30, 2023, 10:40:35 »

Morris is in no way blameless, but with different players bought into play how he wants to play, it may garner different results. I'd be very surprised if Morris isn't our manager next season, we're not going to pay out his contract and for Morris it's probably make or break for a career in management. No one in the FL would appoint him as manager with how he's done so far.

Have you seen the writing on the wall?
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Sunday, April 30, 2023, 10:49:24 »

I know they’ve blown the title but I think Arteta shows what can happen if you stick with a manager. Looked an absolute lame duck and everyone was calling for his head.

I see “Hanners” saying he’s Sherwood Mk 2, which is a simply ridiculous statement. Sherwood was playing golf when we had a game! Perhaps Morris didn’t want to go on his Podcast
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Sunday, April 30, 2023, 10:56:05 »

The big thing that the club is currently lacking is a lower league football astute mind. The business side of things has done well (buying a ground, reducing debt (which some of it has just moved rather than removed btw)). I can't see how Morris would be clueless given his previous jobs he's held. What he may lack is an idea of how lower league football works.

It doesn't need miracles to get out of League 2, look at a very poor but organised Stevenage side for example. The next DoF (presuming Sandro has gone) needs to be someone with the knowledge of what you need to get out of League 2. The absolute ideal would be someone like Martin Ling who is connected to the club, but we seem to have let that ship sail and he is doing brilliantly at Orient.

2 completely off the top of my head who would fit the bill - Darren Ward and Gordon Greer. I'm sure there would be many other options though too.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: Sunday, April 30, 2023, 11:04:50 »

The big thing that the club is currently lacking is a lower league football astute mind. The business side of things has done well (buying a ground, reducing debt (which some of it has just moved rather than removed btw)). I can't see how Morris would be clueless given his previous jobs he's held. What he may lack is an idea of how lower league football works.

It doesn't need miracles to get out of League 2, look at a very poor but organised Stevenage side for example. The next DoF (presuming Sandro has gone) needs to be someone with the knowledge of what you need to get out of League 2. The absolute ideal would be someone like Martin Ling who is connected to the club, but we seem to have let that ship sail and he is doing brilliantly at Orient.

2 completely off the top of my head who would fit the bill - Darren Ward and Gordon Greer. I'm sure there would be many other options though too.

You are going to be disappointed if that’s what you are hoping for.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: Sunday, April 30, 2023, 11:04:52 »

Morris is in no way blameless, but with different players bought into play how he wants to play, it may garner different results. I'd be very surprised if Morris isn't our manager next season, we're not going to pay out his contract and for Morris it's probably make or break for a career in management. No one in the FL would appoint him as manager with how he's done so far.

I agree.
Think we will stick with Morris - gotta hope he hits the ground running. If he doesn’t it’s another season wasted because we’ll bring in a new manager who will need to time & his owns players, probably a summer to get get and go again.

Hindsight and all that but this season we probably would have been better off sticking with Gav.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Sunday, April 30, 2023, 11:08:56 »

You are going to be disappointed if that’s what you are hoping for.

More of hope rather than think it’s going to happen. However, with 9k+ crowds for 2 seasons I’m really struggling to deal with the lack of ambition from the club. Fed up of seeing teams overtake us. Plymouth 3 years ago were on a par with us and now they’re in the championship with fantastic infrastructure. Being I’m being too impatient with the new ownership…
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: