Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Morris Dancing  (Read 37803 times)
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« on: Saturday, April 8, 2023, 08:09:34 »

Thought we could do with a Morris specific thread.

As I said yesterday I'm in now 'stage three': I've gone from genuine excitement, then to being an apologist and thinking he'd been dealt a rotten hand to now being concerned that he could prove to be a major misstep.

The players don't seem to be playing for him and yesterday's line up was bizarre/suicidal.

That said, we are not Chelsea/Man Utd. We simply can't afford to bin off Morris and Brand after a few months, which would cost us well over six figures. And nor should we. He has to have a window and a pre-season to be properly judged.

The 'model' is rancid, we can all agree, but his record in developing young players is right up there with anyone in football's over the last decade. He has so far proven to be well short in his understanding of how to succeed in L2 but I'm sure he will have learnt a huge amount about himself and the players over this period and provide that Michael Standing/Adam Hart/Zavier Austin Clem is prepared to give him the tools to bring in his own players next year I'm confident he will get us up there next year.

His contacts in the game will be a major part of why he was hired and he hasn't had a chance to do that. Our loans this season have been shambolic, so 3 or 4 crackers next season could make all the difference. Frank and his pals being back at Chelsea could help with that even more.

As an aside, I suspect that his hiring was a managerial extension of the 'model'. Get a young manager on a reasonably long contract and hope someone comes and gets him after a year, delivering us some sweet compen-Sandro. Again, it is a plan that lacks pragmatism. Getting out of this bucket of shit of a League should have been the only priority with hindsight.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, April 8, 2023, 08:57:08 »

I’d give him the summer to bring in his own players and the start of the season.

However, the complete regression of this current side is alarming to say the least. I think more of the squad than most on here but feel in a roundabout way we were closer to where we should be league wise - under Lindsey than we are Morris & Lindsey was not a good manager.

The tactics and selections are quite frankly baffling and for me he gets less of a free pass for the injuries and suspensions because they all came on his watch - so that to me (and it’s guess work on my part) comes from his training methods.

Sometimes it feels like he’s over complicating tactics/formations/play because he’s used to U23s where you need to play that way to showcase / develop your players. It’s a different game now, we need results.

Morris will either hit the ground running next season or we’ll waste a summer bringing in Morris’ players to play Morris’ formation and Morris’ tactics just to realise Morris is the problem and we get rid and end up bringing in another manager whose shit but won’t have had a summer to bring in his own players and we’ll have another limp season and start again.

(for me) the club need to decide right now. Either Morris is gone by Tuesday or he’s here till at least December.

It’s a gamble one way or another but isn’t it always?

A lot of rumours on Twitter that he’s lost the dressing room (from people who categorically aren’t in the dressing room) but those rumours always surface when teams are on a bad run of form don’t they?

Season is obviously done and dusted now. We need to start the prep for next season now. Offer those we want contracts now. Give them decision deadlines now (that hurt us last summer) those who are definitely not going to be here stop playing them (apart from Brynn as I’m sure there are finances linked to game time & neither of our keepers are going to be #1 next season realistically)

If that means we have Adeloye & Parsons up front, Cain as our main man in the middle and Minturn at the back then so be it.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, April 8, 2023, 09:03:38 »

One thing for sure we ain't getting out of league 2 if we don't have any physicality throughout the core of the team.

So, give no fucks
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, April 8, 2023, 09:03:52 »

We were 6th when Morris took over, we are now 4 points off 19th place.

I’d get rid now, start afresh (again)
With our track record, that should give us enough time to get someone in before the start of next season.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, April 8, 2023, 09:05:04 »

Same here even if if he's replaced with Artell

So, give no fucks
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, April 8, 2023, 09:07:37 »

We were 6th when Morris took over, we are now 4 points off 19th place.

I’d get rid now, start afresh (again)
With our track record, that should give us enough time to get someone in before the start of next season.

…but…Mad Gav is already at the club!!
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, April 8, 2023, 09:09:19 »

…but…Mad Gav is already at the club!!

You joke, but it’s the best we’ve played all season.

I actually quite like the idea of giving it to Austin, and letting him bring an older head to support him as well as a DoF who actually knows what they’re doing.
DMC

« Reply #7 on: Saturday, April 8, 2023, 09:11:55 »

I would also be worried about a few other things. I think the players going backwards under him is a concern but also for someone who was very Youth based he doesn't seem to keen to try and develope ours. These are the games now we should be playing Caine Minturn Clayton but he is dropping them from the squad entirely
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, April 8, 2023, 09:14:01 »

You joke, but it’s the best we’ve played all season.

I actually quite like the idea of giving it to Austin, and letting him bring an older head to support him as well as a DoF who actually knows what they’re doing.

Who said I was joking?

Honestly feels to me like.
Lindsey was a non league manager trying to act like an Under 23s manager in League Two
Morris is an Under 23s manager acting exactly like an Under 23s manager in League Two
Gunning came across like a former lower league player who knows the lower leagues setting up his team to play League Two football in League Two.

Morris questions the fitness levels and then because Morris said it - many on here questioned it as well.
We certainly didn’t look unfit under Gav. Getting about the pitch wasn’t an issue.

It would be interesting to to see the distance covered stats under each manager
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, April 8, 2023, 09:32:06 »

I've seen enough. Get rid now. Easy decision.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, April 8, 2023, 09:40:21 »

I do think people are being blinded by what happens in the Premier League with regards to sackings.

Unless Morris has a performance related break clause at the end of the year, and given the shitshow that is our football admin I suspect we aren't that savvy, there is no way that our penny pinching regime gets rid.

Lets say he's on £100k a year, and Brand is on £50k a year. Total guesswork but it must be ballpark. We have also potentially spent on compo to Chelsea for Brand. It is inconceivable that we blow north of £200k to pay these guys' contracts out. It isn't going to happen.

Similarly, Morris isn't going to walk away from the job security of a 2 1/2 year contract. He said that unlike Lampard he couldn't afford not to get another job in football in the Jimmy Bullard podcast.

He is here to stay barring a freak event, and to be honest I think his management has just opened my eyes to how poor and unprofessional most of the squad is, which is pretty useful information going into the close season.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, April 8, 2023, 09:46:52 »

I'm sure that all of the above is quite right. I gave absolutely zero thought to my post...it's just what should happen in an ideal world, which if course is light years away from the murky, sad and depressing world of STFC.

I'm just sick to death of that mother fucking football club and am desperate to at least get out of division 4 (at the right end) before I die of old age.

TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, April 8, 2023, 09:52:07 »

Difficult one.
More concerned right now on what direction will be taken on the transfer policy close season.
Because carry on like this we could well be fighting for our League Status.

As for losing a dressing room, Wellens sorted out the beer drinking brigade and got rid. Rumours he had lost the dressing room.
These spineless players need to grow some.
I am far more concerned on who is still at the club in the top places.

If we ain’t got a pot to piss in pulling in 9,200 fans then we might as well pack up and tour the National League.
As for Morris, needs to be given clear instructions NOW on what close season is looking like, budget, Sandro (fuck him off) - can’t see that happening.

So many questions - season ticket money being held back from me.

Rob Angus? - What is going on.
« Last Edit: Saturday, April 8, 2023, 09:55:27 by TheDukeOfBanbury » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #13 on: Saturday, April 8, 2023, 09:55:07 »

I'm just sick to death of that mother fucking football club and am desperate to at least get out of division 4 (at the right end) before I die of old age.
Well lets face it mate we are in the Heinz club now we cant have many years left!

I think most of us think similar TBH.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, April 8, 2023, 09:56:21 »

I'm sure that all of the above is quite right. I gave absolutely zero thought to my post...it's just what should happen in an ideal world, which if course is light years away from the murky, sad and depressing world of STFC.

100% this.
Fucking shite.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: