Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Next seasons rebuild 23/24  (Read 29302 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Monday, April 3, 2023, 13:38:05 »

Thought experiment - most agree we're missing a CB, CM and targetman.

Say we had our current squad, except adding Owen Moxon (Carlisle CM), Carl Pierganni (Stevenage's no-nonsense CB) and Luke Armstrong (Harrogate's striker, wins more aerials than anyone else in the division, and scored 13 goals doing it).

Where do you think we are in the league? It's probably top, isn't it? The margins are pretty small down here, the league is pretty bad.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Monday, April 3, 2023, 13:47:09 »

Personally think we need a bit more, as not convinced Darcy, Cain and a few others provide the creativity or robustness.  But that's subjective.

The you are right - the margins are small, and sometimes luck (injuries) and a bit of confidence of a winning run makes it easier.

Even now we aren't being blown away by teams. We run out of steam, invite them on, make it difficult for ourselves. But come on, we aren't far away from a few extra wins/drawn (which is probably your point)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Monday, April 3, 2023, 14:23:27 »

Agree Batch.

if I look at last seasons team and wonder who would make this current team better, I think a fit Baudry (or a been there and done it centre half), Payne, McKirdy, Barry, the option to rotate Gladwin and Williams, Reed (as he was then) and Egbo.  They are all better than our current options.

That's maybe 6/7 players - and remember, that team did not go up!

It may only be small margins, but I do think you need about 7 or so in the first team who can handle the pressure.  Hell, I'd take Davison over every forward bar Austin, and I didn't think a team aiming for top three would have him as their main centre forward (still believe that).
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Monday, April 17, 2023, 08:36:24 »

Putting to one side the danger of being obsessed with ex players, who would take McKirdy back next year?
His move has not worked out. We are desperate for a player prepared to take the opposition on.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #184 on: Monday, April 17, 2023, 08:41:53 »

Putting to one side the danger of being obsessed with ex players, who would take McKirdy back next year?
His move has not worked out. We are desperate for a player prepared to take the opposition on.
mcKirdy won't return, I understand he has expressed an unwillingness to come back here to his friends when asked.

FWIW I would welcome him back.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Monday, April 17, 2023, 08:43:36 »

Not that I'd want a McKirdy return, but I wonder why he wouldn't want to (if that's true)?
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Monday, April 17, 2023, 08:44:24 »

mcKirdy won't return, I understand he has expressed an unwillingness to come back here to his friends when asked.

FWIW I would welcome him back.

Interesting. You’d think he’d get a sniff in L1 if his agent earns his crust. Or he just sits out what must be a decent contract in Edinburgh.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #187 on: Monday, April 17, 2023, 08:47:02 »

Interesting. You’d think he’d get a sniff in L1 if his agent earns his crust. Or he just sits out what must be a decent contract in Edinburgh.
Easily doubled his wage, not sure why he won't come back but thats what he told one of his close mates back in January when we made a bid for a return loan.

I would think playing every game is better than getting splinters in your arse.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Monday, April 17, 2023, 08:51:26 »

I'd take him back
DMC

« Reply #189 on: Monday, April 17, 2023, 09:06:24 »

I wouldn't take him back but 2 players of the Barry and McKirdy mould either side of Austin and it is a great start.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Monday, April 17, 2023, 09:12:33 »

I wouldn't take him back but 2 players of the Barry and McKirdy mould either side of Austin and it is a great start.

Yep
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Monday, April 17, 2023, 09:12:57 »

Yes, neither Wakeling nor RHM really work as wide players in a front three. I thought RHM would be better there, even if he has  been one of our more effective players recently. Not sure if he’s a straight down the middle striker either, which makes him then a bit of a conundrum.
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Monday, April 17, 2023, 09:26:35 »

The amazing thing is if you include Jephcott & Adeloye, we have 5 forwards with none of them really fitting together to form any sort of cohesive forward line at all.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Monday, April 17, 2023, 09:28:38 »

Yep, if Austin stays of course
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Monday, April 17, 2023, 09:30:29 »

The amazing thing is if you include Jephcott & Adeloye, we have 5 forwards with none of them really fitting together to form any sort of cohesive forward line at all.

Jephcott will go and score goals once he's finished with us I'm sure of it, he's got quite a solid record when he's had full seasons under his belt

Unless they've arranged Adeloyes departure already, I find it a little daft he's not even involved in matchday squads when he's got another year under his belt.

Talking of returns, much rather Payne than mckirdy but it's never gonna happen. Even in a shit team Payne will turn up and make a difference (L1 relegation season perfect example, second half of season he was very good).
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: